News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2021

Started by Mattyonyx, December 22, 2020, 06:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Thialfi on October 12, 2021, 01:29:50 PM
Quote from: SidB on October 12, 2021, 02:31:14 AM
And surely with its established commercial network, the Papo brand still has considerable strength. This is a strong foundation to build upon.
Exactly. Papo is available in stores, it's the brand everyone can pick up at any moment if they want a dinosaur. We over here are purists, but 8 year old me would have gone crazy for Papo and for parents and regular, more basic customers it's probably still the brand to go for, together with Schleich.
Right, and doubtlessly they form the vast majority of purchasers.

Bread

Thanks for the post avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection

Kind of disappointed on this one. I feel like its not bulky enough, maybe because it is relatively a small figure? Does seem a little sloppy on the paint, but it is about a $15 figure (based on Minizoo's listed price), so I could really put the paint applications past it.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection Thanks for the video. Regarding the size, it is somewhat disappointing when it comes to the jaw, in my case it is something that I celebrate that it does not have a articulated jaw, but honestly I like its counterparts from Collecta or PNSO (the vinyl one). I will receive it in my collection yes or yes but honestly this year Papo has been very lazy in the production of it. We still have to wait, the smilodon puppy still surprises one positively.

Saurox

The fact that the two models that are released (to be released) weren't two intriguing dinosaurs but a shabby prehistoric fish and a bland tiny mammal is just so disappointing. Even a medium sized dinosaur and a baby dinosaur with connected with the limits posed by covid would have sufficed given the state of things. it would have atleast shown they were serious about their brand and their customers.

Gwangi

I actually don't dislike the Papo megalodon. Or I should say, I don't dislike it any more than I do megalodon figures in general. It's underwhelming for sure, but I find all megalodon toys to be underwhelming. I don't have a megalodon but if I decided to get one then this one would beat out Safari's, it's fine for its price bracket. 

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on October 26, 2021, 10:02:47 PM
I actually don't dislike the Papo megalodon. Or I should say, I don't dislike it any more than I do megalodon figures in general. It's underwhelming for sure, but I find all megalodon toys to be underwhelming. I don't have a megalodon but if I decided to get one then this one would beat out Safari's, it's fine for its price bracket.

The positive thing about this megalodon is that it does not have a jointed jaw. I honestly think it is superior to Safari and also to the medium-sized version of PNSO. However, the versions of Collecta, Favorite and of course, the vinyl version of PNSO that takes the cake in genius are superior.

japfeif

Absolutely agree with you there. I know some folks put Safari on a pedestal and for the most part they are very good but their Megalodon really kind of sucks. I almost cringe when I see it on the shelf with those way-too-white-and-big white rounded teeth & what looks like red lipstick!
Actually, of the Big 3 of the cheaper-but-still-good companies (Papo, Safari, & CollectA), I much prefer the CollectA Meg over either Safari's or Papo's. The PNSO one probably has them all beat but PNSO is a bit out of my price point unfortunately...

Duck

I think Megalodon itself is underwhelming.
It's just a big shark, after all, with no interesting features or anything.
He who dwells in pond

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Duck on November 27, 2021, 11:52:11 PM
Agreed. Many people over estimate the size. There's many more interesting sharks and kin, from stethacanthus and orthocanthus to even modern hammerheads and thresher sharks

Gwangi

Quote from: Duck on November 27, 2021, 11:52:11 PM

And dromaeosaurs are just ground hawks that can't fly.  ;)

Everyone craps on megalodon but if you ever find yourself walking a beach and find a tooth the size of your hand sticking out of a cliff face, you might sing a different tune. Kidding aside, I mostly agree, which is why I don't have megalodon represented in my collection. And I love sharks, I even collect extant species.

Duck

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Yeah, If I found a megalodon tooth on a beach I would definitely think differently.
I mean, I just think Megalodon is a tad bit boring. No special features or anything. The most notable thing about it is it's size. I would much rather see a beautifully feathered Dromaeosaur then a big shark.
He who dwells in pond

Gwangi

Quote from: Duck on November 28, 2021, 01:10:42 AM
avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi Yeah, If I found a megalodon tooth on a beach I would definitely think differently.
I mean, I just think Megalodon is a tad bit boring. No special features or anything. The most notable thing about it is it's size. I would much rather see a beautifully feathered Dromaeosaur then a big shark.

To be fair, we don't really know what features megalodon had. Everyone makes it look like a white shark but all we have from it are teeth, and maybe some vertebrae. And that's the main reason megalodon doesn't excite me much. The concept of such a large predatory shark is cool to think about, but without the ability to know more about how it looked I can't care much about it.

Duck

Quote from: Gwangi on November 28, 2021, 01:20:20 AM

To be fair, we don't really know what features megalodon had. Everyone makes it look like a white shark but all we have from it are teeth, and maybe some vertebrae. And that's the main reason megalodon doesn't excite me much. The concept of such a large predatory shark is cool to think about, but without the ability to know more about how it looked I can't care much about it.
Dammit, now I can't get the image of a fat megalodon out of my head.
  ::)
He who dwells in pond

Gwangi

Quote from: Duck on November 28, 2021, 01:23:09 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on November 28, 2021, 01:20:20 AM

Dammit, now I can't get the image of a fat megalodon out of my head.
  ::)

It's a more interesting (and amusing) concept than a scaled up white shark. Megalodon isn't even classified in the Carcharodon genus anymore, it's time that someone change up its appearance.

Fembrogon

I have to agree with the above sentiments: Megalodon is cool and exciting as a real-life animal (I mean, hey - BIG SHARK), but as a toy it's actually a bit boring, because so often it ends up looking like another great white. That's why I went with the hollow, monstrous PNSO figure for my collection, and the only other one that's really interested me is the chunky Favorite Soft model. There are lots of other, much more unique extinct sharks just as deserving of more toys.

japfeif

Any word at all on the status of the young Smilodon?   It seems to have just about dropped off the radar screen

stargatedalek

PNSO has made easily the best megalodon figure, but they didn't market it as one ;)

Thialfi

Quote from: japfeif on December 04, 2021, 09:35:52 PM
Any word at all on the status of the young Smilodon?   It seems to have just about dropped off the radar screen
Was wondering as well! I was really looking forward to it actually, hope it gets a release this December still..

SenSx

Quote from: Thialfi on December 04, 2021, 10:36:01 PM
Quote from: japfeif on December 04, 2021, 09:35:52 PM
Was wondering as well! I was really looking forward to it actually, hope it gets a release this December still..

Very same !
It disappeared from some sellers'site, as if it  was cancelled...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: