News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Nanmu Studio - New for 2021

Started by blnadal, January 02, 2021, 10:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegeta365

Quote from: SenSx on February 06, 2021, 04:01:56 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 06, 2021, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: SenSx on February 06, 2021, 02:08:30 PM
Ok thank you guys.
I found this picture on Aliexpress which is pretty telling:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/U879cf36c94344117962990d6705011a3f.jpg

I know the Nanmu's are not supposed to be accurate, but I do mind the size difference, it should be the other way around, so I'm not sure to get it.
Maybe the new Rex will be bigger and will match that Giga, but where do we stop the over exaggerated size for 1/35 ?

Giga is supposed to be a bit bigger than Trex, but it's slightly too large to match what we've established as the base adult size.  But we don't know that's the max size they grew too..maybe just say it's an overly large specimen? Like the huge, muscled Utahraptor from Raptor Red. There are exceptions.

On another note, that pic looks really..green? In tone to me.

Then I don't know what to think anymore...
I understood Giga being bigger was a belief spread because of inaccurate mesurement methods at the time, but the technics improved, and T-Rex was reevaluated heavier, and taller, although Giga is longer.
But that is true we have very few Giga remains, only two skeletons and one of them is just a jaw fragment.

I understand it might not matter to many collectors anyway, but I do mind :/

I think that's just it. There are so few bones, we have such little evidence and regularly evidence is conflicting that we really aren't sure what the maximum and common size of a lot of dinosaurs was.

I agree, originally Giga was thought to be bigger, but newer belief is that they may have been longer but T Rex had more bulk and weighed more.

All of this of course is even less relevant to Nanmu who make their dinos based on JW/JP. Giga has not been in JW though rumours exist saying it will be in Dominion. It's entirely possible Nanmu have some inside information and have based their design and size on Dominion or they have taken a guess.

From the few videos/pictures I have see , I would suggest that the T Rex is actually longer if you straightened it's tail, but I agree the Giga looks bulkier which I am not fond of.

Personally I would prefer T Rex being the biggest but that Giga looks so good I can live with it and justify that it is entirely believable with what Gee giga bones exist that Giga could have been bigger than T Rex.

Don't people have the same concern that T Rex is bigger than the Indominus. I assumed this is because the Indominus is only 3 years old at the time of the film and not fully grown. So again into their own film setting is fine. Clearly this won't matter to anyone not collecting hybrids.

The same can likely be said of the Triceratops which looks to be more bulky and stands taller than the sino model but it's not a lot larger. The real Triceratops would have been considerably larger than Sino, but the JW Sino is bigger than a 'real' Sino.

All I can say, is that overall I would say they have better scaling across the existing range than the competition. I love Papo but plenty of their own are badly scaled as an example.

stargatedalek

You're ignoring the elephant in the room, that's not a real Tyrannosaurus, it's a Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus and is scaled to its canon size in the franchise.

SenSx

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 06, 2021, 06:39:19 PM
You're ignoring the elephant in the room, that's not a real Tyrannosaurus, it's a Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus and is scaled to its canon size in the franchise.

Oh yes of course, those are only my own weird criterias: I collect accurate and non accurate figures, some based on JP or not, with accurate or not accurate sizes, but the only thing I need to respect is their size hierarchy.
I don't want perfect scale, but a specie supposed to be smaller being bigger than the others, is an issue for me...

But it's just me, and that Giga is outstanding regardless.
I'll just wait for Buck which will probably scale better with it..and I did not plan to get the 2nd Rex...Nanmu is really clever...

Carnoking

It's entirely plausible, in fact probable that the Giga will be upscaled to fit the role of the new big bad for Dominion.

Vegeta365

Yes I imagine some who bought the green Rex are not happy with the new release.

Given it's confirmed a Giga will be in Dominion it is entirely possible Nanmu know the scale of the JW Giga and it will be bigger than Rexy and that could be why it is bigger. I really really want to have the strength to delay buying that model until Dominion teasers are shown with Giga in to see the colour JW uses as that would decide what colour I would get.

Carnoking

I know W-dragon is officially licensed now, but I do not recall Nanmu ever officially receiving such an accolade. Even if they are working in collaboration with Universal to an extent, I have serious doubts that they would be allowed to produce a product this early on that would in any way spoil the look of the upcoming design. With that in mind, I have my doubts that either of these Nanmu Giganotosaurus models are going to be a spot on representation of the film counterpart both in sculpt and paint. I imagine there will be a similar situation to the new Buck rex sculpt from Nanmu where several fans end up buying this version of the Giganotosaurus, only for Nanmu to turn around and release a more official version of the species under a new title.

That being said, if I am completely off the mark and this sculpt is representative of the upcoming film counterpart, I imagine the orange version would be the more likely color scheme between the two. Reason being, the paler blue coloration could easily be compared to the Indominus rex, and to avoid any confusion from the less in-the-know audience, it would behoove the filmmakers to come up with a unique color scheme. Now the orange design is very similar to the tiger striped raptor s of the franchise, yes, but we know how much Trevorrow enjoys referencing the original trilogy in his films, so paying homage to old designs is not out of the question.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The only way Nanmu would get something is if they had a contact or a leak at the toy factory Mattel uses or something like that, not unheard of. Even prototypes seem to show up in Asia way before official releases.

It's very likley they would do exactly as you suggest and make this one, then release another one more film accurate. I'm still miffed about that FEMALE Bull paint vs what might be a true Bull sculpt.   This Giga is pretty cool though and I'll still be ok owning it. 

Vegeta365

I think it's very likely they will have information leaked to them from the toy etc warehouses and it's entirely possible the giga from the Jurassic World Evolution game is in line with the version that we will see in Dominion so all we can do is wait.

It is entirely possible your right and this giga will not be screen accurate, only time will tell.

It's a beautiful sculpt and 2 amazing colour schemes though.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Is it meant to look like a zombie dinosaur?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 07, 2021, 08:11:27 PM
Is it meant to look like a zombie dinosaur?
I think it's based on the Dino Crisis one?

SenSx

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/U47df55ce4adc44ff9dcc3507dc713703T.jpg
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/Ufefee59cd2414548b080d3c58bd0676fd.jpg

On those pictures Rex and Giga seems to be as tall without base.
Would be great to have a proper comparaison somewhere else.

KeU

Human figure that will come with the buck Rex.
No clue who she is supposed to be.

Nanmu posted on FB that it is a salute to classic video games.

Carnoking

SenSx

Lol

Not a single clue, and video games are my thing.
And nope, I'm not seing anything close to Lara Croft here.
Just a liché archetype of female heroine maybe.

If that's Tresspasser, it really is an obscure reference, since as far as I recall, you could never really identifie her.

Mattyonyx

She's Hannah Dundee from Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Stegotyranno420

Deleted, posted in wrong thread

KeU

Quote from: Mattyonyx on February 08, 2021, 06:43:05 PM
She's Hannah Dundee from Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.
Had to Google her.
You got it spot on, looks like her to me.
That's a cartoon series, not a video game.

Takama

No one, remembers Regina from Dino Crisis?

Syndicate Bias

I do, I play Dino Crisis to this day lol

The 2nd game was the best imo.

Regina, Dylan, David and ofc the Giganotosaurus that killed cyclops (T Rex)

KeU

Quote from: Takama on February 08, 2021, 08:24:51 PM
No one, remembers Regina from Dino Crisis?
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 08, 2021, 08:45:05 PM
I do, I play Dino Crisis to this day lol
The 2nd game was the best imo.
Regina, Dylan, David and ofc the Giganotosaurus that killed cyclops (T Rex)
I do too!
DC2 was my favorite PS game outside of my usual Gran Turismo stuff.
Regina would make a great human figure from Nanmu.
With her dual smgs or stun gun.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: