You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Leyster's Collection (updated 13/09/24)

Started by Leyster, February 27, 2021, 02:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I found a reference for the estimated size of "Tiantaisaurus" on deviantart from someone who draws skeletals which puts the figure at around 1:25ish but i don't know how they estimated length so the scale could vary wildly.

Again, I love reading these. Very nice.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on April 26, 2021, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 26, 2021, 12:27:16 PM
Thank you for the link to the very informative PNSO Ankylosaurus review, your level of detail and handling/presentation of this data is as thorough and impressive as always. Perhaps I'm stretching the realm of possibility, but I make the excuse that the PNSO specimen is suffering from a partially damaged and healed tail club to account for its depression, though obviously that wasn't the direct intent of the sculptor, of course. The translator wasn't working terribly well this morning, but the full sense of what you were communicating did emerge.
Thank you for reading it, I'm glad it was appreciated. Maybe the high amount of latin terms didn't work too weel with the translator. If the donward tail bothers you, I think you can easily solve it heating the tail with an hairdryer, putting it in place and then freezing it with cold water  ^-^
Ha, I considered doing this and still can do so, but then it wouldn't fit in its packing. Maybe I'll modify the packing and then reshape the tail at that point. Love those options!

Leyster

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on April 27, 2021, 08:49:36 PM
I found a reference for the estimated size of "Tiantaisaurus" on deviantart from someone who draws skeletals which puts the figure at around 1:25ish but i don't know how they estimated length so the scale could vary wildly.

Thank you. Theropod Database itself provides a lenght of 5,5 meters, but I don't trust these measurements too much (expecially in therizinosaurids, that are hard to put in a straight line), it would be nice to have the actual lenght of the bones to check myself.

Binomial name: Sinraptor dongi Currie & Zhao 1994
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Carnosauria->Allosauroidea->Metriacanthosauridae->Metriacanthosaurinae
Time: Oxfordian? (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Shishugou Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Vitae, 2018
Sculptor: Cheung Chung Tat
Scale: 1:27 for IVPP10600

This one might count a bit as cheating, since I already posted the Sinraptor, but I got the Deluxe version too and they're quite nice displayed together, they remind me of M.Skrepnick's illustration in Currie & Zhao 1994
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

That's a handsome pair, vey complementary. I've always felt that, aesthetically speaking, this is my favorite Vitae dinosaur.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on April 28, 2021, 04:16:57 PM
That's a handsome pair, vey complementary. I've always felt that, aesthetically speaking, this is my favorite Vitae dinosaur.
Thank you! Mine too, it's the only one (aside from the Giganotosaurus) that I got in 2018, when it was released. All the others are recent acquisitions.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Chasmosaurus

Quote from: Leyster on April 28, 2021, 02:43:01 PM

Thank you. Theropod Database itself provides a lenght of 5,5 meters, but I don't trust these measurements too much (expecially in therizinosaurids, that are hard to put in a straight line), it would be nice to have the actual lenght of the bones to check myself.

Would these two figures be suitable to represent a Nothronychus or a erliansaurus
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Leyster

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on April 29, 2021, 06:58:22 PM
Quote from: Leyster on April 28, 2021, 02:43:01 PM

Would these two figures be suitable to represent a Nothronychus or a erliansaurus
Maybe Erliansaurus may fit. Nothronychus is too derived,I think.

Halichoeres

Yeah, it would be nice to have a femur or skull length to go on, but with no description published...

At least it's a good basal therizinosaur, as you said.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 30, 2021, 01:18:00 PM
Yeah, it would be nice to have a femur or skull length to go on, but with no description published...

At least it's a good basal therizinosaur, as you said.
Exactly  :( Oh well, for the moment it's sitting on my 1:26-1:30 shelf with most of my other Vitae theropods.

Leyster

I'm back!

Binomial name: Gigantspinosaurus sichuanensis Ouyang, 1992
Classification: Dinosauria->Ornithischia->Genasauria->Thyreophora->Stegosauria->Stegosauridae
Time: Oxfordian (Late Jurassic)
Formation: Upper Shaximiao/Shangshaximiao Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Collecta, 2017
Sculptor: Matt Geiger
Scale: 1:27

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Glad to see you!
That reminds me, if PNSO go back to doing minis, Gigantspinosaurus would be great for a mini because it would probably be close to 1:40 if they did it small enough. Would probably be the only way to get a 1:40 scale figure of such a small Stegosaur
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

My congratulations for your beautiful figure and your most beautiful photograph of gigantspinosaurus, it would be appreciated if a company made a larger figure of that curious and rare stegosaurid.

Leyster

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 07, 2021, 09:34:13 AM
My congratulations for your beautiful figure and your most beautiful photograph of gigantspinosaurus, it would be appreciated if a company made a larger figure of that curious and rare stegosaurid.
Thank you.
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on May 06, 2021, 06:43:50 PM
Glad to see you!
That reminds me, if PNSO go back to doing minis, Gigantspinosaurus would be great for a mini because it would probably be close to 1:40 if they did it small enough. Would probably be the only way to get a 1:40 scale figure of such a small Stegosaur
Thak you, surprisingly it's not that small, considering that it's still at a smaller scale than both the PNSO Chungkingosaurus and Tuojiangosaurus

Binomial name: Carnotaurus sastrei Bonaparte, 1985
Classification: Dinosauria>Theropoda>Neotheropoda>Averostra>Ceratosauria>Neoceratosauria>Abelisauroidea>Abelisauridae>Brachyrostra>Carnotaurini
Time: Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous)
Formation: La Colonia Formation (present day Argentina)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2019
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Scale: surprisingly, a 1:20 for MACN-CH 894

SidB

L @Leyster , what do you think about the relative 'chunkiness' or robustness of this figure in comparison to, say, the final Carnegie classic iCarnotaurus in terms of accuracy?

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on May 07, 2021, 06:10:41 PM
L @Leyster , what do you think about the relative 'chunkiness' or robustness of this figure in comparison to, say, the final Carnegie classic iCarnotaurus in terms of accuracy?
S @SidB well, to be fair, Carnotaurus is a more robust animal than it's usually given credit for. This because the holotype and only specimen known, although remarkably complete, lacks the distal end of the tail and of the hindlimbs, which were restored based on Xenotarsosaurus, at the time the only Abelisaur with such bones preserved. The problem is that Xenotarsosaurus is quite a small animal (its weight it's less than half that of Carnotaurus) ans it's not expecially closely related with Carnotaurus, thus similar proportions are probably incorrect (also generally in theropods limb size decreases as size increases, even if there are exceptions). During the 2000s more Abelisaurids were discovered, such as Aucausaurus, which is closer to Carnotaurus and preserves the hindlimb, and this allowed a less disproportionate restoration that is probably truer to the real Carnotaurus, following philogenetic bracketing. Also I remember reading that Carnotaurus skull was squished during fossilization, so it might actually be wider.

This was the skeletal in Bonaparte et al 1985

This is the most recent restoration, using the proportions of the closely related Aucasaurus

This said, having the Safari Carnotaurus in hand and comparing it with the randomdinos skeletal above, I feel that the head might be a tad too big, which might exlain why it ended as 1:20 despite the total lenght of the model being not that greater than Vitae Sinraptor (a 7 m animal compared with an almost 8 m one)

SidB

Thank you L @Leyster , that's very helpful. So, in short, the Safari Carno is accurate in general in as far as it seems probable that Carnotaurus was a more robust animal than first thought, even the head compression being initially not taken into consideration, but the head may be somewhat exaggerated, size-wise, on the Safari. Could this enlargement of the Safari's head be due to muscles and other soft material overlaying the skull, or is your observation based strictly on the size of the skull itself? Also, I'd gather that Forest Roger's interpretation of the lower extremities (for the Carnegie Safari figure)would have been based on extrapolations from the Xenotarsosaurus material. A critique of this otherwise fine piece was that it's lower legs were far too gracile, as I recollect.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on May 07, 2021, 11:58:36 PM
Thank you L @Leyster , that's very helpful. So, in short, the Safari Carno is accurate in general in as far as it seems probable that Carnotaurus was a more robust animal than first thought, even the head compression being initially not taken into consideration, but the head may be somewhat exaggerated, size-wise, on the Safari. Could this enlargement of the Safari's head be due to muscles and other soft material overlaying the skull, or is your observation based strictly on the size of the skull itself?
It's based on the skull size. Even if the skeletal is now less gracile, its neck is still at least longer than the head, which may not be true for Safari version. But skull to femur lenght is 0,6 while in Carnotaurus is 0,58: close enough, so mind that the apparent too big skull lenght might be an optical illusion caused by the robustness of the model. Anatomy wise the Safari is still the best PVC Carnotaurus available.

QuoteAlso, I'd gather that Forest Roger's interpretation of the lower extremities (for the Carnegie Safari figure)would have been based on extrapolations from the Xenotarsosaurus material. A critique of this otherwise fine piece was that it's lower legs were far too gracile, as I recollect.
I think that probably the Carnegie Museum consultants weren't aware of the new Abelisaurid material or didn't research Carnotaurus enough and simply directed her to Bonaparte's skeletal.

I have to say that, merely on an aesthetic point of view, I still prefer the Carnegie version in sculpting anc colouring, over the Safari-

SidB

Thanks again. All of this, for me, is a fascinating window into the world of what goes into the decision-making processes of both paleoartists and their precursors, the paleontologists themselves.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on May 08, 2021, 11:56:37 AM
Thanks again. All of this, for me, is a fascinating window into the world of what goes into the decision-making processes of both paleoartists and their precursors, the paleontologists themselves.
My pleasure! I try making this thread interesting  ^-^

Binomial name: Velociraptor mongoliensis Osborn 1924
Classification: Dinosauria->Theropoda->Neotheropoda->Averostra->Tetanurae->Coelurosauria->Tyrannoraptora->Maniraptoromorpha->Neocoelurosauria->Maniraptoriformes->Maniraptora->Pennaraptora->Paraves->Eumaniraptora->Deinonychosauria->Dromaeosauridae->Eudromaeosauria->Velociraptorinae
Time: Santonian?-Campanian (late Cretaceous)
Formation: Djadochta Formation (present day China)
Manifacturer and date of release: Safari LTD, 2017
Sculptor: Doug Watson
Scale: 1:9 based on IGM 100/25 ("Fighting Dinosaurs" specimen)

It was about time to add Velociraptor to my collection!

Halichoeres

Understandable given the information they were working on, but pretty much every Carnotaurus produced more than about 5 years ago is way too lanky. Even some recent ones like the Favorite Co version. That's one reason the new Safari version is the only one on my shelf.

This Velociraptor is phenomenal, too. Peak dromaeosaur.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: