News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Just seen the JWD Pyroraptor through a toy leak, My heart has shattered.

Started by Reuben03, March 01, 2021, 11:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reuben03

pronated wrists. they went out of their way to make the rest of the animal BEAUTIFUL and then just left the arms like something out of a children's first dinosaur encyclopedia from 2007!!!

im so upset rn! i was going to let the inaccurate croc skinned dimetrodon slide despite it being my favourite animal,

but this is too much!! the public is too far behind for misinforming babysteps like this!! just give us the real deal!!!

steve brusatte was supposed to stop this type of stuff from happening. i'm so mad rn

i need people to help me make some noise about this so they fix it. i will NOT stand for this.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

MLMjp

CityRaptor

Pronated wrists? If that is all, if that's the only issue, it's a huge improvement.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lynx

This seems more like a "Oh no, anyway" situation then a "EVERYBODY RIOT" situation.
An oversized house cat.

Reuben03

Lynx

Quote from: Reuben03 on March 01, 2021, 11:54:15 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on March 01, 2021, 11:39:51 PM
What?! Can the pictures be shared of this leak?
https://www.reddit.com/r/JurassicPark/comments/lvildx/jurassic_world_dominion_mattel_leak_of_our_firey/
so sad rn

I see no reason for you to be that upset over a JP figure having pronated wrists. What do you expect? A BOTM style figure?
Also mind if you post the picture here instead of using a reddit link?
An oversized house cat.

Reuben03

Quote from: Lynx on March 01, 2021, 11:56:41 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/JurassicPark/comments/lvildx/jurassic_world_dominion_mattel_leak_of_our_firey/
so sad rn

I see no reason for you to be that upset over a JP figure having pronated wrists. What do you expect? A BOTM style figure?
yes!! i expected a BOTM design to contrast the retro ingen raptors
why did they hire steve brusatte if they were gonna just go ahead and make their own lousy mess anyway?

Dinoxels

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Lynx

Quote from: Reuben03 on March 02, 2021, 12:04:38 AM
Quote from: Lynx on March 01, 2021, 11:56:41 PM
so sad rn

yes!! i expected a BOTM design to contrast the retro ingen raptors
why did they hire steve brusatte if they were gonna just go ahead and make their own lousy mess anyway?

Its JP, even if they hire somebody else they will keep the style.
They are JP figures, therefore they will keep the style of JP. Hiring somebody new won't change that.
An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

I actually really like that baby Pyroraptor design.

Expect something out of character and you will be disappointed. They weren't going for "documentary" they were going for "stylistically distinct from InGens dinosaurs", and I think they pulled that off well with a cool looking creature design.

Do the plushies look kind of like Monster Hunter icons to anyone else?

Reuben03

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 02, 2021, 12:23:32 AM

Expect something out of character and you will be disappointed. They weren't going for "documentary" they were going for "stylistically distinct from InGens dinosaurs", and I think they pulled that off well with a cool looking creature design.

they're apparently biosyns animals! and its just annoying they cant go all the way, i just want to see accurate wings!

Carnoking

It's entirely possible that Mattel's design does not 100% reflect what we'll see in the movie. The Battle at Big Rock Allosaurus had inward facing palms, yet the toy had them pronated to serve the action gimmick. Since these are more "cartoony" products, there's an extra element of stylization present.

Lynx

Quote from: Reuben03 on March 02, 2021, 12:31:49 AM

they're apparently biosyns animals! and its just annoying they cant go all the way, i just want to see accurate wings!
For the last time, its JP. If you want accuracy, how about buy some actual BOTM figures or a Safari LTD Velociraptor? Or maybe a paleo plushie?
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Quote from: Stolpergeist on March 02, 2021, 12:37:32 AM

Eh, I don't know.
The problem is that this is now what the general public will think feathered dinosaurs look like.
Similar to frilled Dilophosaurus and Swiss cheese Sinoceratops, the latter having made it into the last Doraemon movie.
This is the layperson's first exposure to Pyroraptor outside of Pod and I don't think the majority of Jurassic World's audience has seen Dinosaur Planet.
The overall design makes me recall this parody graphic by Mette Aumala from 2014, up to the parrot feathers.

Not to mention Universal's decision to give Giganotosaurus a nasal horn.
Regarding the Monster Hunter resemblance I see it too now that you've mentioned it, it's the angular stylization.

At least it is one step closer to accuracy. Now (hopefully) the general public knows dinosaurs had feathers and that Giganotosaurus exists
An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reuben03 on March 02, 2021, 12:31:49 AM

That is far from confirmed.

There have been statements implying these would be "dinosaurs made by rival companies". More likely to be Manticore, which has been established as the Biosyn equivalent for the film canon.

Biosyn was seemingly scrapped from ever returning in the films based on who they cast as Dodgson. Can't exactly bring him back and if they did I should hope it would not be taken well.

Quote from: Carnoking on March 02, 2021, 12:34:08 AM
It's entirely possible that Mattel's design does not 100% reflect what we'll see in the movie. The Battle at Big Rock Allosaurus had inward facing palms, yet the toy had them pronated to serve the action gimmick. Since these are more "cartoony" products, there's an extra element of stylization present.
Yes, these figures are meant to be babies. And the plushies and stickers seem based on very basic early concept stills.

Quote from: Stolpergeist on March 02, 2021, 12:37:32 AM

Eh, I don't know.
The problem is that this is now what the general public will think feathered dinosaurs look like.
Similar to frilled Dilophosaurus and Swiss cheese Sinoceratops, the latter having made it into the last Doraemon movie.
This is the layperson's first exposure to Pyroraptor outside of Pod and I don't think the majority of Jurassic World's audience has seen Dinosaur Planet.
The overall design makes me recall this parody graphic by Mette Aumala from 2014, up to the parrot feathers.

Not to mention Universal's decision to give Giganotosaurus a nasal horn.
Regarding the Monster Hunter resemblance I see it too now that you've mentioned it, it's the angular stylization.
It's quite a bit better than that. Even from this cutesy baby design we can see it has proper feathers over the entire body, and a well made tail fan. The wrists also aren't pronated. The figure frankly looks very different from the sticker design.

Lynx

Quote from: Stolpergeist on March 02, 2021, 12:42:34 AM
They'll know Giganotosaurus exists and will forever think it has a nose horn, no thanks to that.

Honestly I don't care if there is some random horn slapped on the nose, I just hope people know that T-rex was not the "king of the dinosaurs" and that dinosaurs like Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus exist.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

True... oh god... I just realized how bad that could turn out...
People drawing giga with it using its horn in a fight or something like that
An oversized house cat.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

The Giganotosaurus doesn't have the nosehorn in all of the supposed leaks, so that may have been completely scrapped anyway.

Also, I read through that image again and wow has some of that aged poorly. Especially the parts about bright colours being inherently bad and combining different types of feathers.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: