News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Arackar, New Chilean Titanosaur

Started by Dynomikegojira, March 03, 2021, 07:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomikegojira

Arackar licanantay, a new Chilean titanosaur of the Hornitos Formation. Always great to see new South American dinosaurs being discovered or described from places other than Argentina and Brazil.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0195667121000495?via%3Dihub

Halichoeres

That's such an odd name I had to look it up. Apparently it means "the bones of the Atacama [people]." I like names given in homage to indigenous populations.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

HD-man

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 10, 2021, 07:56:04 PMThat's such an odd name I had to look it up. Apparently it means "the bones of the Atacama [people]." I like names given in homage to indigenous populations.

Any idea how it's pronounced? I couldn't find a pronunciation on my own.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Halichoeres

Quote from: HD-man on March 13, 2021, 06:02:57 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on March 10, 2021, 07:56:04 PMThat's such an odd name I had to look it up. Apparently it means "the bones of the Atacama [people]." I like names given in homage to indigenous populations.

Any idea how it's pronounced? I couldn't find a pronunciation on my own.

Good question. I found this paper on a Chilean linguistics web site (http://www.chungara.cl/Vols/1989/Vol22/Reconstruccion_interna_del_kunza.pdf), which seems to say that the "ck" in this language is like the "ch" in Scottish "loch" or the "j" in most varieties of Latin American Spanish. In IPA, then, it would be <'araxar>. The a is close enough to the a in Spanish that almost nobody would make a distinction, and the r is a trill as in Spanish perro. I'm not sure I've ever seen the <x> phoneme rendered with "ck" in the Latin alphabet before.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.