News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2022 Hopes and Dreams

Started by CarnotaurusKing, March 19, 2021, 06:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

I too really wish companies and media will focus more on the earlier pterosaurs rather than the more advanced ones. Yeah the latter are appealing, towering, and have cool names but I believe this over exposure of the same 2-5 pterosaurs is why many, myself included, overlook pterosaur diversity and history.
As for Safari wishlists go, I purchased 4 figures from my local Michaels store the Feathered Tyrannosaurus which made me adore the reconstruction that I once loathed, Triceratops which is probably the best of its kind, the 2009 Dilophosaurus which I customized, and the beautiful pteranodon. I have a lot more confidence in Safari now.
Here is my wishlist:
1.Large Sauropod over 20 inches- probably the least likely one, given how Safari usually makes the sauropods, but there's always hope. If I am unable to get the Eofauna one this hypothetical Safari one might be a second chance.
2.Cryolophosaurus-Basically the Carnegie one with improved scales and added mass. Small scutes and/or small feathers will be a fine addition.
3. Dacentrurus or Stegosaurus ungulatus- very unlikely, as both are quite fragmentary but I really wish for a good stegosaurus figure. The PNSO one is someone underwhelming in size and the current Safari one is brilliant but I heard lots of criticisms that it's just a oversized Sophie specimen, which is of a juvenile. The colors could be a bit better.
4. Acrocanthosaurus, Saurophaganax, or Torvosaurus-I'm grouping all of these because they are all very similar, somewhat fragmented-somewhat well known theropods that rival the largest theropods but aren't usually shown in those charts because they are not too well known.
5.Rajasaurus. I rather have a rajasaurus than a majungasaurus because it's something from my country and it'd be cool to have a figure of a dinosaur from my country.
I will update the list overtime

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Acrocanthosaurus is known from pretty decent remains. It would be nice for a better one, even if it is an Allosauroid. I don't think Torvosaurus is fragmentary either.

A Cryolophosaurus with feathers is what the heart desires.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

GojiraGuy1954

I wonder if Safari has anything special planned for their 40th anniversary year
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

I too want an Acrocanthosaurus. It is probably the most wanted genus on my list at the moment. Since Rebor's is hard to come by and I hate the pose on Papo's, an updated Acro is needed. Plus Safari's old one is underwhelming at the moment, but was definitely a great figure when it was released.

Also, hate to bring about bad news, but the chance of Safari making another Stegosaurus any time soon is slim to none. Even if the figure has issues, I don't see Safari changing it this year. Maybe next year?

suspsy

I can see Safari repainting their current Stegosaurus. I'd probably buy it too. But yeah, no way in hell they'd replace it with a new sculpt this soon.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 14, 2021, 03:45:47 AM
I wonder if Safari has anything special planned for their 40th anniversary year
Interesting, tho it's more likely they will wait for the 50th.
Quote from: suspsy on November 14, 2021, 04:46:44 AM
I can see Safari repainting their current Stegosaurus. I'd probably buy it too. But yeah, no way in hell they'd replace it with a new sculpt this soon.
Yeah, I understand it can be a very unlikely thing, even the repaint.
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 14, 2021, 02:59:44 AM
Acrocanthosaurus is known from pretty decent remains. It would be nice for a better one, even if it is an Allosauroid. I don't think Torvosaurus is fragmentary either.

A Cryolophosaurus with feathers is what the heart desires.
Yeah I think I should had said decent. Far from bad, but not like Tyrannosaurus well known.

John

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Sim

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420, I too wish companies and media would focus more on the earlier pterosaurs!  There are some very interesting species among them and being long-tailed is so cool!  You make a good point about the over exposure of the same few pterosaurs, it means that people don't get to appreciate some other very interesting species.  Quetzalcoatlus, Pteranodon and Dimorphodon get too much attention, I think it's time other pterosaur species get attention.

Sophie is actually a young adult Stegosaurus.  I think it's possible that it would have looked like that even if became more mature, with its differences to the Stegosaurus stenops holotype being due to gender or simply individual variation.

As avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx said, Acrocanthosaurus and Torvosaurus are known from decent remains.  Both are known from better remains than e.g. Spinosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus and Giganotosaurus which always seem to be included in largest theropod size charts.  I think Acro and Torvo don't get included because they are smaller although still large.  Saurophaganax is known from very fragmentary remains however.  It doesn't have its own identity as its appearance is always based on Allosaurus.  Due to this and Safari already having an excellent Allosaurus, I think Safari won't make a Saurophaganax any time soon.

I think I would be interested in a repaint of Safari's 2019 Stegosaurus.

SpartanSquat

Guys Im a little worried for Safari, we didnt see their lineup for 2022 and I remember I saw the news in late august-early september other pasts years. I dont know if this is true but a friend said me safari is now focused in other direction like third party brands.

suspsy

For Pete's sake. Let's not push panic buttons.

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on November 15, 2021, 03:43:10 AM
For Pete's sake. Let's not push panic buttons.

Sorry not sorry ;D
That would be good and bad, good because it might improve my biggest (and only) issue with the figure. Bad because I recently bought the original...

Dinoxels

Quote from: RolandEden on November 15, 2021, 02:19:22 AM
I dont know if this is true but a friend said me safari is now focused in other direction like third party brands.
They don't focus on it they have always supported 3rd party brands. Like Suspy said lets NOT press the panic button, as stated if anything it probably has to do with the shipping crisis.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shane

Hi guys,

I can't say much, but I can say that shipping delays are real, supply chains are busted, and everything is taking longer than it ever did before.

New items ARE in the works. They just might not get here when they historically have in the past.

Thialfi

Quote from: Shane on November 15, 2021, 03:30:49 PM
Hi guys,

I can't say much, but I can say that shipping delays are real, supply chains are busted, and everything is taking longer than it ever did before.

New items ARE in the works. They just might not get here when they historically have in the past.

Great to hear that new material is in the works though. To be honest, I have all the patience in the world if that means quality content, for which I trust Safari.

Shane

Quote from: Thialfi on November 15, 2021, 06:52:30 PM
Hi guys,

Great to hear that new material is in the works though. To be honest, I have all the patience in the world if that means quality content, for which I trust Safari.

I don't like to throw around where I work too much because I'd prefer to be on this forum as more of a personal account, and I really probably can't answer many peoples' questions for various reasons anyway, so I don't advertise it much.

But to anyone panicking, Safari is not done. They are developing new products.

suspsy

Never doubted it, S @Shane. I don't suppose you would be able to comment on the persisting rumour that the reveals will commence in January? No matter if you can't.

Dinoxels

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information. Sorry for some of the folk over-freaking out in here.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shane

That's a marketing call, which is not my department (anymore).

I can't get into anything about how the sausage is made, I just wanted to give some small reassurance that new toys are on the horizon. 

Supply chain issues since the onset of the pandemic have disrupted just about every industry in different ways. The fact that releases are not lining up with how they have gone historically is not always a cause for panic. It's just a sign that the landscape has changed and businesses are adjusting.

That's not specific to Safari, that's every industry.

Shane

Quote from: Dinoxels on November 15, 2021, 11:23:41 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the information. Sorry for some of the folk over-freaking out in here.

No worries, and normally as I mentioned I would absolutely not comment on anything from a professional standpoint. I just wanted to offer some reassurance that any reports about Safari's demise are premature to say the least.

SpartanSquat

Good news! One friend sent me this!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: