News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Marx Prehistoric Times

Started by stoneage, October 22, 2012, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Marx are a central focus of my collection. I have approximately 40 different colors of the Kronosaurus, including the one-of a-kind white test shot, test shots of almost all the other dinosaurs, robin's egg blue Kronosaurus, Brontosaurus and pot-bellied T. rex, and my most recent acquisitions: the original clay models of the Smilodon and the Struthiomimus that the molds were made from.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Doug Watson

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 16, 2020, 05:38:26 PM
Marx are a central focus of my collection. I have approximately 40 different colors of the Kronosaurus, including the one-of a-kind white test shot, test shots of almost all the other dinosaurs, robin's egg blue Kronosaurus, Brontosaurus and pot-bellied T. rex, and my most recent acquisitions: the original clay models of the Smilodon and the Struthiomimus that the molds were made from.

Hey there avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono if you haven't done so already could you post some shots of those clay models with any info on how you got them, I would love to see them? Congratulations by the way

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 16, 2020, 05:38:26 PM

40 colour variants is rather impressive! I have 1. :P

BlueKrono

Doug - Thank you. I'd be happy to post some pictures soon. I just have to get them set up in a nice display case. I've already cleared off the shelf they'll go on.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

Seems like our Dr.Admin has just been infected by the Marx- meme thanks to his recent acquisitions,  welcome to the Club,  avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum !

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on May 17, 2020, 07:42:36 AM
Seems like our Dr.Admin has just been infected by the Marx- meme thanks to his recent acquisitions,  welcome to the Club,  avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum !

Indeed. Pandora's box is open.

Here is my recent acquisition of chocolate-brown Marx prehistoric animals. Admire them!

I've come to understand that this bundle comprises the entire final wave of releases, the 'Second Series Mold Group PL-1083' (according to the helpful https://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/Marx-Toys.html), a series that first appeared in 1961. This explains why they are more refined than the earlier 1950s Marx toys.

BTW I have a few duplicates to trade which I'll add to my classifieds thread shortly.

therizinosaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 17, 2020, 12:11:57 PM

Here is my recent acquisition of chocolate-brown Marx prehistoric animals. Admire them!
I've come to understand that this bundle comprises the entire final wave of releases, the 'Second Series Mold Group PL-1083' (according to the helpful https://www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com/Marx-Toys.html), a series that first appeared in 1961. This explains why they are more refined than the earlier 1950s Marx toys.

BTW I have a few duplicates to trade which I'll add to my classifieds thread shortly.

That wave is exceptionally pretty, the Moschops and Struthiomimus in particular.

Gwangi

I played with a lot of Marx dinosaurs as a kid, I think they were my father's. I've been meaning to collect some of them again but just haven't prioritized it. I would like to see them get some coverage on the blog so I guess I should get motivated to pick some up.

BlueKrono

I might be able to contribute a bit to the Marx thread...

Last year I acquired the one-of-a-kind test shot Kronosaurus, previously housed in the now defunct Marx Toy Museum in Moundsville, WV. It was by far the most expensive dinosaur toy I've ever purchased. I visited earlier last year and acquired most of the other test shots as well directly.

I also snagged a robins egg blue pot-bellied T. rex, thus completing my large mold group trio in this stunning color. For some reason my camera can't quite seem to replicate it. I wrote elsewhere on the DTF about why this color is so special to me, inspiring my username.

Certainly the rarest pieces in my collection are the original clay models made by a sculptor in the early 1960's and used to make the mold from which all future Smilodons and Struthiomimuses were cast. These critters appeared in the second series of Marx dinos in 1961.

And a final shot of my precious Kronosaurs. They've really multiplied.

Crackington

Wow, that last photo is like a Krono-henge! Amazing picture.

Love those clay original sculpts too, very precious as you say.

Do we know who the Marx sculptors were? They are such lovely figures, especially for being mass produced toys.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Crackington on May 20, 2020, 01:41:06 PM
Do we know who the Marx sculptors were? They are such lovely figures, especially for being mass produced toys.

Yes, the Marx sculptor was a gentleman by the name of Phil Derham.

DinoToyForum

I'm thinking of it as an ammonite coil! Incredibly impressive, either way!

BlueKrono

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 20, 2020, 03:33:42 PM

I'm thinking of it as an ammonite coil! Incredibly impressive, either way!

That was my thought. I wanted to come up with a way to display them all in a color-shift sequence rather than 2 or 3 separate lines like I normally do. A circle couldn't be big enough for my surface, and I experimented with a sinuous S shape. Then the answer was obvious.

Doug Watson

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 20, 2020, 03:56:23 AM
I might be able to contribute a bit to the Marx thread...

Last year I acquired the one-of-a-kind test shot Kronosaurus, previously housed in the now defunct Marx Toy Museum in Moundsville, WV. It was by far the most expensive dinosaur toy I've ever purchased. I visited earlier last year and acquired most of the other test shots as well directly.

Certainly the rarest pieces in my collection are the original clay models made by a sculptor in the early 1960's and used to make the mold from which all future Smilodons and Struthiomimuses were cast. These critters appeared in the second series of Marx dinos in 1961.

According to the Museum web site while the bricks and mortar museum was to be closed they said as late as 2017 that they planned on maintaining a 100 piece collection of Francis Turner that could be lent out to museums or other displays and continue to preserve Marx history. Are you saying that has changed and he is giving up his collection?

Did you get the original sculpts from Frank? Although great for you it would be a shame if he didn't think keeping the originals would be important to Marx history.

Your shot of your Kronosaurus collection is like a Kronosaurus Busby Berkeley musical production.

BrightYellowTriceratops

Impressive array of colors! I'd love to have that many versions of the Marx Ankylosaurus. It's my favorite of the Marx molds and I have a few different colors but nothing near what you've got. Very impressive!

japfeif

Quote from: BrightYellowTriceratops on May 28, 2020, 01:27:25 AM

Impressive array of colors! I'd love to have that many versions of the Marx Ankylosaurus. It's my favorite of the Marx molds and I have a few different colors but nothing near what you've got. Very impressive!
\

WOW! Amazingly awesome Krono collection!!! Some very nice colors there...and you even have a golden one! Sweet!!!
I see you also have the mini-Krono from the Flintstones Miniature set and the matchbox ELM one!
And is that one at about 1 o'clock the Nuremberg hard plastic figure? That's a toughie for sure!!!!!!!!!
Very impressive collection!
And love your all-white test shots and the clay figures!
I see why you go by the name "BlueKrono" now! :-)

japfeif

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 17, 2020, 12:11:57 PM

Great group there! And yes, that's the entire Second Series group! Beautiful shade of brown!

DinoToyForum

CityRaptor

That's a nice set. While I don't collect Marx ( and most other vintage lines for various reasons ) I do appreciate the classics.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Does anyone have more information about the marbled brown variants?  How rare were/are they?
The dinosaur collectibles book says they are by Superior from Marx molds and come from the 1980s. Right?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: