News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo Cave Bear opinions

Started by andrewsaurus rex, May 21, 2021, 10:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

I'm thinking about getting the Papo Cave Bear figure and would like to get opinions on its accuracy.  Restorations of it vary widely.  I think it's the best model out there but is it very good?.

SidB

There's not much out there, so the Papo seems to be best bet in the mass produced market, for me. The old Bullyland one is hard to get hold of, and is scaled in the /35-1/40 range, a lot smaller than the Papo. The Geoworld rendition is mediocre at best. You can see the reviews on the DTB.

suspsy

I have it and I like it. It's really the only good quality prehistoric bear toy on the market. Hence why I keep hoping that CollectA or EoFauna or anyone would make an Arctotherium.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

sauroid

thats the only prehistoric bear thats still easily available in the market. the Schleich one is old and not very common anymore.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

Yes, I had quite forgotten the Schleich version, which is odd, since I have one. But it seems to be less accurate than the Papo, which seems to be your best bet.

andrewsaurus rex

thanks for the feedback, all.  The only problem i have with the Papo is that it looks somewhat ape-like in its pose.

suspsy

The cave bear did have a pronounced shoulder hump like modern brown bears, and like all bears, its front limbs were longer than its rear ones. CollectA or Safari or EoFauna could almost certainly pull off a superior one, but until they do, the Papo toy really is the best prehistoric bear rendered in plastic.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.