You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Invicta Rampage at the Monkton Nature Reserve, Kent

Started by Crackington, November 03, 2012, 11:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackington

Invicta Rampage at the Monkton Nature Reserve, Kent

Hi all,

I've been meaning to post some pictures for while now of a visit to the Monkton Nature Reserve, near Margate in Kent (UK) where I unexpectedly came across a magnificent collection of Invicta dinosaurs. My brother, a keen twitcher (bird-watcher) who lives in the area, showed me around and took some great snaps.

The reserve is set in an old disused chalk quarry and is well worth a visit in its own right (see http://monkton-reserve.org/):

The reserve has a mini-museum containing hundreds of fossils and other specimens from the Kent area. These are mostly Cretaceous ammonites and other fossils, but there are also some more recent Ice-Age animals such as Mammoth teeth and Coelodonta horn:

The museum was in a bit of disarray on my visit due to a recent break-in, but there were plans to re-vamp the presentation, so its probably a lot better by now (I visited in July 2011). Giant Ammonite fossil:

Proudly displayed in this museum was a near complete collection of Invicta dinosaurs:

As an added bonus, the Reserve also had some other models which appeared to be made especially for it, including a pterosaur (Pternodon) and an Ichthyosaur, with more Invictas nestled among them and the fossils:

A Camptosaurus (I think):

Finally, there was a beautiful diorama with Cetiosaurus, Megalosaurs and some Iguanodons:

If you are ever in this part of England, it's well worth a visit.

Gwangi

Great photos, thanks for sharing. Are you allowed to dig in the quarry at all? Also, does anyone know who painted that Ceratosaurus paiting in picture seven?

Ikessauro

Quote from: Crackington on November 03, 2012, 11:39:05 AM

Proudly displayed in this museum was a near complete collection of Invicta dinosaurs:

Is that the Invicta Mutaburrasaurus between the T.rex and the Plesiosaurus??? Why is it green?

Crackington

Thanks guys,

Gwangi - Not sure who painted the Ceratosaurus, I'll probably visit there again with my girls, so I'll see if I can find out.  I don't think you can dig in the actual quarry as it is primarily a nature reserve and is pretty overgrown. The actual chalk faces of the quarry were being nested in by sand-martins and other birds, so I suspect that they wouldn't want them being disturbed. That said, the site is only a couple of miles inland from the North Sea/English Channel and there are plenty of good fossil site beaches nearby where you can have a look for them. Most of the fossils displayed came from these areas. Its also less than twenty mile to the famous White Cliffs of Dover, which is also quite a good area for fossils.

Ikessauro - from memory I think is is a Muttaburraurus and suspect that it is a customised paint -job - one of the volunteers there is obviously keen on making/messing around with models and has some talent too! Again I'll check this out when I go back.

Gwangi

Yeah, I suppose there is not much sense in disturbing live animals in order to look for dead ones. Beautiful place though.

Takama

Did you try and offer to buy some of them.    :P

If i seen something like that, I would ask about it.

Crackington

I must admit it did cross my mind, but they looked so good there on display I thought it best to leave them for others to enjoy! Not sure if they would sell in any case, the guy I spoke to was well aware that they are collectible.

Libraraptor

Very cool pictures, thank you so much for sharing! I really like that monochrome Ichtyosaur under glass and the other models that have been made especially for the museum, too!

Gryphoceratops

Wow neat!  Really brings home the term "museum quality". 

Jetoar

I think the same. I see figures of invicta in alot of museums when I was a child.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures