News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GojiraGuy1954

Thread's updated, sorry for abandoning it for so long guys
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Lynx

It has been quite a while since they announced the two on their Instagram page- hopefully not canceled.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

Just a friendly reminder it took two years to get the Carnotaurus rex after it was first announced! With how much emphasis REBOR puts on therapods, I seriously doubt they'd pour all that effort into sculpting an updated one just to toss it to the wayside, especially when it's a guaranteed breadwinner like T. rex.

Duck

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on December 16, 2021, 05:01:28 PM
Quote from: Duck on December 15, 2021, 08:12:34 PM
Quote from: Lynx on December 15, 2021, 08:03:08 PM
Quote from: Over9K on August 19, 2021, 10:09:34 PM
REBOR have declared Kiss and Tusk to be done...

If REBOR commits to this project... we could easily be seeing Winter Wilson getting knocked out of the ring for the "most accurate figure"
Look very nice so far! Hopefully, it stays confirmed and we get to see it out in the market!
I sill consider the Battat Tyrannosaurus to be the most accurate, but I see where you are getting at.

Battat rex doesnt has gastralia and has long lanky arms

Just because its the most accurate out of the current offerings doesn't mean it's the definitive Tyrannosaurus figure.

Wilson has oversized scales, an elongated head, weird teeth, and more. Battat is generally considered to have the most accurate Tyrannosaurus, but that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate.
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 16, 2021, 03:13:51 PM
Quote from: Duck on December 15, 2021, 08:02:04 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 15, 2021, 07:59:43 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 20, 2021, 01:24:41 PM
That lipped Wilson looks a million times better.

The argument for lipped has something to do with keeping the teeth moist, is that correct?  I'm sorry to pick your brains like this, it's like 1st grader asking a high school senior about algebra.  But seriously, I love to know why lips are seen as necessary for the teeth longevity on animals that supposedly shed teeth like sharks.  Or has the teeth shedding deal been disavowed too?  I honestly don't know, just curious.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/314090740_Tactile_Faced_Theropods

I had to look up a few words to read thru that, LOL.  Unless I completely misunderstood, according to this article, theropod skulls lack the exterior bone texture and processes that are evident in lipped lizards their conclusion was that theropods would've had more of a crocodilian appearance and no lips?

I personally prefer the crocodilian look but considering that all we have at the moment are educated guesses and that very smart people will interpret evidence to support their own theories, I think it would be absurd for me to take a hard stance one way or another.  There is room for at least one lipped T-rex in my collection :)
Yes, that is an argument for no lips on theropods. This Youtube video summarizes some arguments against and for lipped theropods as well. I recommend watching it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoxPknp670
Why do my links never work

He who dwells in pond

stargatedalek

Quote from: Bread on December 16, 2021, 04:45:31 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2021, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 16, 2021, 03:20:21 PM
Again, lips are debatable. I don't see why its still a for certain depiction on therapods when we have yet to receive 100% evidence. This can be said for both, no lips or lips.
The thing is that even if the teeth were not covered, they would look nothing like what PNSO does for their theropods. The teeth still wouldn't rest on each other and the jaw would still be slightly agape rather than the lower jaw tucked into the upper, lest it injure itself by crushing its own muscles.
Oh I absolutely acknowledge that with PNSO models. Regardless, seems like everyone is still jumping on the lips wagon when it is still up for debate. Similar to how almost fully feathered Tyrannosaurus was widely accepted without further consideration until evidence was finally provided.
And you say that like it isn't up for debate. A few scattered impressions of what are probably scales but could be textured skin does not a featherless animal make.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2021, 08:42:17 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 16, 2021, 04:45:31 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 16, 2021, 04:25:42 PM
Quote from: Bread on December 16, 2021, 03:20:21 PM
Again, lips are debatable. I don't see why its still a for certain depiction on therapods when we have yet to receive 100% evidence. This can be said for both, no lips or lips.
The thing is that even if the teeth were not covered, they would look nothing like what PNSO does for their theropods. The teeth still wouldn't rest on each other and the jaw would still be slightly agape rather than the lower jaw tucked into the upper, lest it injure itself by crushing its own muscles.
Oh I absolutely acknowledge that with PNSO models. Regardless, seems like everyone is still jumping on the lips wagon when it is still up for debate. Similar to how almost fully feathered Tyrannosaurus was widely accepted without further consideration until evidence was finally provided.
And you say that like it isn't up for debate. A few scattered impressions of what are probably scales but could be textured skin does not a featherless animal make.

There are some instances where animals can manifest different coats depending on their environment.  It's possible that some theropod species 'grew' downy coats when they followed game to colder climes.  I'll never forget my surprise when I learned about the physical transformation that domesticated pigs make when they become feral pigs.   They grow tusks and thick coats because they need to protect themselves and are no longer living in sheltered places.  Weren't wholly mammoths related to asian elephants?  I've ridden on an asian elephant before and those guys are really hairy, is it possible that if introduced to a colder environment that they might not grow full coat? 

IDK and there are probably better examples of this in the wild that don't involve domesticated animals but I think it's very possible that there were fully feathered tyrannosaurs existing at the same time frame as unfeathered tyrannosaurs depending on where they lived.  I don't understand why people dig in there heels on these things when we see the incredible variety that nature produces in our own present time.  And with us having such fragmentary information about the past, it's like claiming you know what's pictured on a 1 billion piece puzzle while only having a handful of pieces.

SRF

Seeing the first picture of the prototype for "Kiss" it will indeed be in the same size range as the Killer Queen Rexes. So actually larger then 1:35 scale.

Looks very good though. I'm curious about the color schemes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYJndm2MkMt/?utm_medium=copy_link
But today, I'm just being father

Carnoking

Duna

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on December 31, 2021, 02:23:54 PM
Seeing the first picture of the prototype for "Kiss" it will indeed be in the same size range as the Killer Queen Rexes. So actually larger then 1:35 scale.

For some reason it reminds me of the images of the new "Sue" reconstruction from the Field museum in Chicago.  I apologize in advance if that's been discussed before but is that by design or just a coincidence?

I don't buy large pieces but I made an exception for the Crimson King Carnotaurus, is that in the ball park size wise to this new tyrannosaurus?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 31, 2021, 04:54:29 PM
Quote from: SRF on December 31, 2021, 02:23:54 PM

For some reason it reminds me of the images of the new "Sue" reconstruction from the Field museum in Chicago.  I apologize in advance if that's been discussed before but is that by design or just a coincidence?

I don't buy large pieces but I made an exception for the Crimson King Carnotaurus, is that in the ball park size wise to this new tyrannosaurus?
Theyre both just accurate rexes
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Bread

I actually like the fact that it is slightly bigger than 1/35th scale. I would like to place it next to Nanmu's buck (which this figure is larger than 1/35th too) to represent film vs. real-life interpretation.

Now, anyone got some predictions on coloration or a want list? Here's a few of mine:
-hoping for a brown coloration similar to Wilson or a brown and white coloration heavily inspired by Michael W. Skrepnick's Tyrannosaurus with carcass illustration.
-most likely a green variant would happen, Rebor seem to like doing that
-maybe a red variant as well?

I really think Rebor could do a couple of color variants with this one. It is a Tyrannosaurus so it is going to sell pretty well.

Carnoking

While we're on the subject of Blue Rhino, I would love a couple of variants akin to their Sue and other rex statue, perhaps leaning into sexual dimorphism through color.

Flaffy

Whatever happened to Rebor's Pinta Island tortoise? Was looking forward to that particular piece.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on December 31, 2021, 05:30:51 PM
I actually like the fact that it is slightly bigger than 1/35th scale. I would like to place it next to Nanmu's buck (which this figure is larger than 1/35th too) to represent film vs. real-life interpretation.

Now, anyone got some predictions on coloration or a want list? Here's a few of mine:
-hoping for a brown coloration similar to Wilson or a brown and white coloration heavily inspired by Michael W. Skrepnick's Tyrannosaurus with carcass illustration.
-most likely a green variant would happen, Rebor seem to like doing that
-maybe a red variant as well?

I really think Rebor could do a couple of color variants with this one. It is a Tyrannosaurus so it is going to sell pretty well.

If I were to make a prediction based on their prior history, I think they'll probably produce 4 color variants each of both Tusk and Kiss.  So there should be plenty of choices for collectors.  Personally I prefer the different shades of browns and greys with creamy colored bellies with brightly colored crests.  It would also be nice to see a yellow, orange, or red variant, IDK but something tells me they'll make a lot of variants.  Even though I don't collect alternate paint variants it's always nice to have a choice of colors even though I'll only be buying one.  If it was up to me they'd release a less expensive unpainted variant that I could paint myself.

Duna

Carnoking

Hopefully they're a little more creative with it than their GnG rexes...

Shadowknight1

I just hope we get colors outside of the traditional Jurassic Park green and brown variants.  Something with a little more pizazz to it wouldn't be bad.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

SRF

I would really like the color schemes of both models from Blue Rhino Studio for this figure.

However, I hope Rebor chooses to use the color scheme from the T. Rex reconstruction from Saurian for this figure. That would definitely be my first pick.
But today, I'm just being father

Over9K

Quote from: Flaffy on December 31, 2021, 08:04:05 PM
Whatever happened to Rebor's Pinta Island tortoise? Was looking forward to that particular piece.

It was supposed to be dropping a year ago now, but I'm pretty sure the release didn't actually happen. I did notice they have the Alligator listed as being #07 in the GNG line, and the Tortoise was #06.

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO, could we please get a Lonesome George update? TIA.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: