You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from:  Lynx on January 27, 2022, 08:10:36 PM
If this figure has FDS, I might use some hot water, warp them to be closer to the body, and then craft my own PNSO-styled support rod for it if the figure can not stand

OMG, hilarious!  So FDS becomes part of the lexicon when discussing theropod figures!?  ;D

Lynx

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 28, 2022, 03:35:39 PM
Quote from:  Lynx on January 27, 2022, 08:10:36 PM
If this figure has FDS, I might use some hot water, warp them to be closer to the body, and then craft my own PNSO-styled support rod for it if the figure can not stand

OMG, hilarious!  So FDS becomes part of the lexicon when discussing theropod figures!?  ;D

I hope so! Sounds a lot better then "unstable figure feet"
An oversized house cat.

JohannesB

Over9K

So a theropod figure typically either has FDS, or ECS (External Chest Support)? 

Duna

Quote from: Over9K on January 28, 2022, 09:52:36 PM
GR Toys carcharodontosaurus is a splendid figure whose feet are almost in the same line and stands perfectly stable. Much more than some PNSO figures with its rods (I can't stand the Corythosaurus and it's a quadruped).
FOTO from Dino ARTE review.
And the feet are not only almost alined but also under the body.

LBDINO

Quote from: Duna on January 28, 2022, 09:57:49 PM
GR Toys carcharodontosaurus is a splendid figure whose feet are almost in the same line and stands perfectly stable. Much more than some PNSO figures with its rods (I can't stand the Corythosaurus and it's a quadruped).

I wonder how this rebor t rex will scale with the GR Toys carcharodontosaurus hopefully it scales well, the issue with pnso none of there therapods scale wilson is much bigger then gamba its all over the place unfortunately

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: LBDINO on January 28, 2022, 10:03:42 PM

I wonder how this rebor t rex will scale with the GR Toys carcharodontosaurus hopefully it scales well, the issue with pnso none of there therapods scale wilson is much bigger then gamba its all over the place unfortunately

It's gonna be out of scale too I'm afraid. If Rebor's past few theropods are anything to go by.

TheCambrianCrusader

Man its been ages since I was excited for a new rex and by rebor no less! If I had the money I would definitely get kiss.

SRF

Gamba could be a bit higher at the hips but otherwise the scale is not that far from 1:35. The GR Toys scales well in 1:35 if you consider Carcharodontosaurus upper estimates. If you go off the more conservative measurements for Carcharodontosaurus, the GR Toys one will probably scale quite well with the new Rebor Rexes.

But since it is rumoured that GR Toys is going to release a T. Rex as well, they will probably provide the best option to display next to their own Carcharodontosaurus.
But today, I'm just being father

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on January 29, 2022, 07:19:41 AM

Gamba could be a bit higher at the hips but otherwise the scale is not that far from 1:35. The GR Toys scales well in 1:35 if you consider Carcharodontosaurus upper estimates. If you go off the more conservative measurements for Carcharodontosaurus, the GR Toys one will probably scale quite well with the new Rebor Rexes.

But since it is rumoured that GR Toys is going to release a T. Rex as well, they will probably provide the best option to display next to their own Carcharodontosaurus.

As long as dinosaur collecting has been around, you'd think there'd be more standards accepted by the community and followed by the manufacturers.  Take the other miniature hobbies for instance, it took decades for them to standardize scales that everyone decided to collectively abide by but that just doesn't seem to have been the case with dinosaurs or most extant wildlife figures.  Seems like companies are into upstaging each other with increasingly larger figures.  The train folks have all the different sizes too but they stick to a formula, the wargaming community also uses different scales but within those scales figures pretty much stick to 15mm, 28mm, etc... in plastic modeling you get 1/72, 1/48, 1/35, 1/32, etc...  but as a consumer you can pretty much expect that if you buy P-51 mustang from two different manufacturers in 1/72 scale they'll be almost exactly the same size with one company potentially getting a detail wrong here or there a slightly oversized wing or a tail that's half a mm to short etc...

With all the advances in the use of computers to create new molds it's inexcusable to not have some standardization in this hobby too.  The advantages for everyone are significant, imagine a series in say 1/80 where a child could take the toys with them where ever they go, cost less money for the parents, collectors could creat displays that makes sense, and where the manufacturers not restricted to making tiny sauropods to go along with all the other animals.  It sounds like most people prefer figures that fit in their hands regardless of the species but that means that everything ends up having its own scale.  Companies have proven that they cans make smaller and smaller figures without compromises in details.  The more precise the CAD technology becomes they'll be able to produce figures that are 3 inches long that'll have more details than something we bought ten years ago and measured 15 inches long. 

All it takes is one company like what Tamiya did for armored modelling back in the 1970s and everyone has no choice but to fall in line if they want to stay in business.  When I first started posting on here I thought I was alone in wanting smaller figures.  I want more figures and space is limited so the alternative for me  is to go smaller so I can have a bigger collection.  It's for selfish reasons I know, but it makes sense because most people can't dedicate their entire living space to this hobby.  From reading what other posters are saying now I know it's not just me wanting smaller figures.

A standardized scale system would even benefit the hobby for those that use these figures for educational purposes.  Being able to appreciate the size difference between an apex predator and a full grown sauropod for one.  It also makes sense for manufacturers keeping costs of materials down and increasing profits.  In addition quality would take precedence over size, right now a company that can't compete with sculpting and engineering simply makes there dinosaur bigger and throws crazy amounts of paint at it to justify what they charge for them.  With a standard set of scales you'd have to focus on making a better figure.

stargatedalek

Standardized scales in animal models aren't as reasonable as mechanical models for a number of reasons.

The most straight forward being variation. Animals are not made to the same measurements, and there is quite a lot of range for variation in size. This goes even more so for extinct animals since they are often known from very small population sample sizes, meaning we don't even have a good idea for how broad that range might be or where existing specimens lie within that range.

But there is also the fact that some animals are just very small, or in the case of cetaceans and sauropods, very large. Yes there are some small cars out there, but even the smallest working model of car relative to the largest street legal van is nothing when compared to the difference in size between Microraptor and Yutyrannus, Brachiosaurus and Dryosaurus, Goldfinches and Moose, or Sardines and Tuna.

Even animals that coexist or are close relatives, are potentially going to vary in size so drastically as to make having them in scale to each other impractical. Unless you want your Confuciusornis to be a tiny detail less blob or your Tyrannosaurus as large as a dinner table. "Genres" of machines are typically much closer in size.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 29, 2022, 07:50:25 PM
Standardized scales in animal models aren't as reasonable as mechanical models for a number of reasons.

The most straight forward being variation. Animals are not made to the same measurements, and there is quite a lot of range for variation in size. This goes even more so for extinct animals since they are often known from very small population sample sizes, meaning we don't even have a good idea for how broad that range might be or where existing specimens lie within that range.

But there is also the fact that some animals are just very small, or in the case of cetaceans and sauropods, very large. Yes there are some small cars out there, but even the smallest working model of car relative to the largest street legal van is nothing when compared to the difference in size between Microraptor and Yutyrannus, Brachiosaurus and Dryosaurus, Goldfinches and Moose, or Sardines and Tuna.

Even animals that coexist or are close relatives, are potentially going to vary in size so drastically as to make having them in scale to each other impractical. Unless you want your Confuciusornis to be a tiny detail less blob or your Tyrannosaurus as large as a dinner table. "Genres" of machines are typically much closer in size.

You make some excellent points.  But in the case of a dinosaur that only one partial skeleton has been found.  If in a situation like that where scientists only have the one.  And if that specimen has been found to be an adult.  Everyone could make (insert serial number designation here) the dinosaur the exact same size at an agreed upon scale, simply because making them in different sizes would be mere speculation. 

Perhaps what I'm trying to say is that we know for instance that sue was and adult we pretty much know exactly how big it was give or take a few hundred pounds.  So considering how complete sue is you'd thing manufacturers would be eager to each put out their very own sue at blah blah scale.  There could be 1/72, 1/48, 1/35 scales sues out there but the difference between one manufacturers' sue at say 1/35 should not vary in size because the specimens dimensions are well known?

I guess the issue is there is still so little to go on on SO many of these species that even a company that genuinely wants to stick to the science will have to take some artistic license at times.  So your right, it was probably a bad idea for me to compare this hobby with the ones that deal with miniatures of things that have zero questions in regards to their dimensions like cars etc... 

TheCambrianCrusader

Well to be fair in the early days of museum lines like Carnegie, Battat, and Invicta they did try to stick to a 1/40 scale. Its just as time went on and more discoveries of very small dinosaurs were found the 1/40 scale had to be abandoned. Like imagine the Carnegie Microraptor or Caudipteryx at 1/40 scale it would be a minuscule little speck. Scale models are very helpful and informative, but animals are so variable in size that you really can't choose one scale that fits all.

Antey

Scale is such an ephemeral dimension that I would not pay attention to it. Individuals differ greatly, fossils are often incomplete, and the method of calculating size is controversial. Therefore, it is ridiculous to see how a toy is measured by a scale of a hypothetically maximum size.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Antey on January 29, 2022, 11:01:04 PM
Scale is such an ephemeral dimension that I would not pay attention to it. Individuals differ greatly, fossils are often incomplete, and the method of calculating size is controversial. Therefore, it is ridiculous to see how a toy is measured by a scale of a hypothetically maximum size.

And yet, you can't open a scientific based book about dinosaurs without see that little generic 6 foot or 183cm man walking besides or standing next to the dinosaur.  Let's not get carried away here, more could be done put different species in classes where different scales that make sense for those classes could be used.  You can walk into a cow corral and you'll notice most of the cows are very close in size with a variability of maybe 1-2% with the odd cow being outside that range.  Yes of course smaller species should be shown in larger scales but there is not reason not to have a scale where most of the larger animals can be shown so that people can appreciate the difference between and allosaurus and whatever sauropod it might've fed on regularly. 

And while we're on that benefits of standardization deal, why don't companies have lines of species that actually coexisted?  You could have very specific groupings of animals that came from very specific regions and that were present there at the same time.  The early blah blah blah epoc of the mid blah blah blah line for instance ;D

Why not educate and entertain all at once?  Grouping species by their eras in toy line releases would certainly teach and creat understanding about what coexisted with what and how those relationships may or may not have affected the adaptations of those animals.

All it takes a Tamiya type situation, a leader to show everyone the way and everyone will fall in line.  Eofauna could be such a company if they produced more figures.

Over9K

That's true, but the GR Carchar isn't "typical", it has an internal skeleton of ABS under the PVC and is made of harder PVC overall. It is unique in the marketplace.

stargatedalek

The other thing to consider is selling format. Most brands selling animal or dinosaur toys want toys to fit in designated price and size brackets.

I think the most that can be reasonably hoped for is normalizing marketing figures at the scale they're made in.

Duna

Quote from: Over9K on January 30, 2022, 12:59:47 AM
That's true, but the GR Carchar isn't "typical", it has an internal skeleton of ABS under the PVC and is made of harder PVC overall. It is unique in the marketplace.
That's very interesting. The GR carcharodontosaurus is one of the most well balanced figures I have, and with the feet perfectly under the body line.

Over9K

Quote from: Duna on January 30, 2022, 11:09:20 AM
That's very interesting. The GR carcharodontosaurus is one of the most well balanced figures I have, and with the feet perfectly under the body line.

The GR's legs don't splay over time, under the weight of the body, and the ankles are supported. FDS is makers trying to get ahead of leg splay, by placing the feet flat on the ground with the legs already splayed. When the legs begin to move, and the ankles are just soft PVC, one or both feet tend to lift off the 'ground', making the model unstable. GR's internal skeleton keeps the legs in their original position.

Chest rods do the same thing, by providing support for the weight of the chest.

CARN0TAURUS

That's pretty cool that GR did that, I had no idea the Carchar had that type internal support.  On these larger figures you'd think all the companies would automatically include some kind internal support system or skeleton as you said.  I know ABS is probably too expensive and it might not pour well into detailed molds but some kind of hollow ABS plastic would definitely make for some very sturdy and durable models and toys.  Doesn't playmobil use ABS plastic?  No sure but I could've swore I read somewhere that they use ABS.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: