You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 31, 2022, 12:40:27 AMThat's pretty cool that GR did that, I had no idea the Carchar had that type internal support.  On these larger figures you'd think all the companies would automatically include some kind internal support system or skeleton as you said.  I know ABS is probably too expensive and it might not pour well into detailed molds but some kind of hollow ABS plastic would definitely make for some very sturdy and durable models and toys.  Doesn't playmobil use ABS plastic?  No sure but I could've swore I read somewhere that they use ABS.

Lots of companies use it, most of Mattel's stuff is ABS I believe. GR toys was the first I had ever heard of an internally supported PVC figure. I would imagine a bunch of the cost of the figure is in that advancement of tech. It's GR's most costly figure, despite not being the largest.

Makers use other techniques to get the same result too, like Nanmu's use of much harder material for the legs, and strategic extra "muscle lumps", as on the Once/Future King rex.

REBOR tends to use FDS and oversized feet. I'd like to see REBOR improve in this area, but it looks like Kiss and Tusk will probably have some issues.

Photo by S @sage2k

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Over9K on February 01, 2022, 02:55:07 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 31, 2022, 12:40:27 AMThat's pretty cool that GR did that, I had no idea the Carchar had that type internal support.  On these larger figures you'd think all the companies would automatically include some kind internal support system or skeleton as you said.  I know ABS is probably too expensive and it might not pour well into detailed molds but some kind of hollow ABS plastic would definitely make for some very sturdy and durable models and toys.  Doesn't playmobil use ABS plastic?  No sure but I could've swore I read somewhere that they use ABS.

Lots of companies use it, most of Mattel's stuff is ABS I believe. GR toys was the first I had ever heard of an internally supported PVC figure. I would imagine a bunch of the cost of the figure is in that advancement of tech. It's GR's most costly figure, despite not being the largest.

Makers use other techniques to get the same result too, like Nanmu's use of much harder material for the legs, and strategic extra "muscle lumps", as on the Once/Future King rex.

REBOR tends to use FDS and oversized feet. I'd like to see REBOR improve in this area, but it looks like Kiss and Tusk will probably have some issues.

Photo by S @sage2k

I know a hollow ABS figure would require a different type of molding technique but if mattel can make a profit on $50 1/18 scale T-rex made out if durable hollow ABS, I think PNSO could make even more money and while saving on material costs and making something that'll never warp and something light enough that kids could throw it around and drop it and nothing would happen to it.   They might even save money on shipping them?

Hopefully the FDS on these won't be too bad, it just makes theropods look kind of silly head on and from the back.  It's one of the reasons I'm completely over the moon for my new PNSO Tarbosaurus, it doesn't have any FDS and yet it still stands perfectly fine without the rod, granted the feet are a bit big on that one but compared to most of my theropod figures it's feet are a reasonable size.  But that said even FDS won't stop me from buying these, I really want the lipped version and by extension would like to have them both to compare them up close and appreciate the difference in the style of the different faces.

The only thing that'll keep me from buying these will be size.  I can't wait to see the reviews online and you know someone is going to park a wilson 2.0 next to one of these guys.  That'll pretty much tell me everything I need to know.  Isn't Wilson 2.0 already on the larger for 1/35.  I believe I heard somewhere that he scales closer to 1/33 or something like that, but not sure.

Over9K

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 01, 2022, 05:07:10 AMHopefully the FDS on these won't be too bad, it just makes theropods look kind of silly head on and from the back.  It's one of the reasons I'm completely over the moon for my new PNSO Tarbosaurus, it doesn't have any FDS and yet it still stands perfectly fine without the rod, granted the feet are a bit big on that one but compared to most of my theropod figures it's feet are a reasonable size.  But that said even FDS won't stop me from buying these, I really want the lipped version and by extension would like to have them both to compare them up close and appreciate the difference in the style of the different faces.

The only thing that'll keep me from buying these will be size.  I can't wait to see the reviews online and you know someone is going to park a wilson 2.0 next to one of these guys.  That'll pretty much tell me everything I need to know.  Isn't Wilson 2.0 already on the larger for 1/35.  I believe I heard somewhere that he scales closer to 1/33 or something like that, but not sure.

Obviously I don't have Kiss or Tusk in hand, but I do have Winter Wilson and the Killer Queen, and I actually haven't put these two side-by-side so...

It's difficult to get a photo that accurately portrays the size difference between figures sometimes. In reality, the Killer Queen is maybe 1/2 inch taller at the hip, and just coming up to an inch longer than Winter Wilson, if you line up the tips of their tails. It would definitely be a full inch if I straightened out the KQ's tail. In this photo, I lined up the tail tips, and they're resting against each other at the hip, in an attempt to get them as close to each other as possible.

In REBOR's Kiss/KQ comparison, it appears to me like they're roughly the same size, but I think they're angled into each other, closer at the head than they are at the hip.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Over9K on February 01, 2022, 06:01:05 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 01, 2022, 05:07:10 AMHopefully the FDS on these won't be too bad, it just makes theropods look kind of silly head on and from the back.  It's one of the reasons I'm completely over the moon for my new PNSO Tarbosaurus, it doesn't have any FDS and yet it still stands perfectly fine without the rod, granted the feet are a bit big on that one but compared to most of my theropod figures it's feet are a reasonable size.  But that said even FDS won't stop me from buying these, I really want the lipped version and by extension would like to have them both to compare them up close and appreciate the difference in the style of the different faces.

Obviously I don't have Kiss or Tusk in hand, but I do have Winter Wilson and the Killer Queen, and I actually haven't put these two side-by-side so...

It's difficult to get a photo that accurately portrays the size difference between figures sometimes. In reality, the Killer Queen is maybe 1/2 inch taller at the hip, and just coming up to an inch longer than Winter Wilson, if you line up the tips of their tails. It would definitely be a full inch if I straightened out the KQ's tail. In this photo, I lined up the tail tips, and they're resting against each other at the hip, in an attempt to get them as close to each other as possible.

In REBOR's Kiss/KQ comparison, it appears to me like they're roughly the same size, but I think they're angled into each other, closer at the head than they are at the hip.

Hey, thanks for posting that!  I think I can live with that type of size difference.  I was actually concerned it would be much worse than that.  Can't wait to buy these two!  Has anything about the price been released yet.

SRF

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS actually Wilson scales perfectly as a 1:35 T. Rex. Measuring the total length of the figure, it's ~34.5 cm long so at 1:35 it represents an animal of 12.07 meters, which by measurements of Franoys is the actual length of AMNH 5027, the specimen Wilson is based on. The only thing is, the length of 34.5 cm is measured along the centra and not along the spine. Along the centra AMNH 5027 is 11.87 meters according to Franoys, but that's a difference of only 20 centimeters. Like you can see AMNH 5027 was far from complete, especially in the tail, so it's tricky to establish the exact total length of this specimen.

Therefore it's always better to measure a certain body part of a figure to determine the scale. Being ~4 centimeters long, Wilsons head would be around 1.4 meters long which is only slightly too big to represent the skull of AMNH 5027 which according to Franoys here is 1.355 meters long (and without soft tissue of course). Since the skulls of Sue and Scotty are measured to be even > 1.5 meters there is nothing overly large about Wilsons head here. 

So all in all PNSO did a really good job in creating a T. Rex in exactly 1:35 scale without using the upper margings of what we know of the size of the animal.

avatar_Over9K @Over9K maybe this picture gives a better view on how Kiss compares to the Killer Queen Rex.

Because the tail is straightened, Kiss seems to be a bit longer than the Killer Queen, but I guess they will be about the same size. The total length of the Killer Queen Rex is just over 39 centimeters. Since the head of the KQ is more sideways and the tail of Kiss seems a bit longer, lets say that Kiss and Tusk will be around 40 centimeters (just like their GNG Rexes are I think).  The Killer Queens head is ~5 centimeters long. If it would be in 1:35 scale it would be 14 meters long and its head would be 1.75 meters long. As far as we know, both are not in the realm of possibilities for T. Rex of course. Now lets say that Kiss and Tusk measurements are about the same as the Killer Queen Rexes and you want it to represent Sue:

With a total length along the centra of 12.35 meters, a figure that is exactly 40 centimeters long would be in 1:30.8 scale. A 5 centimeter head that represents a 1.52 meter skull, is 1:30.4 scale, meaning that the proportions would be very good with these measurements as well since the figure could actually be a few millimeters longer than exactly 40 centimeters.

All in all, that would make Kiss and Tusk very accurate 1:30 scale figures based on a big T. Rex specimen. If you would use AMNH 5027 as a reference, the scale would go up to 1:28 based on the size of the skull and 1:29.6 based on the total body length. But since AMNH 5027 has a smaller head compared to other T. Rex specimens, that difference actually makes sense.
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

Quote from: Over9K on January 30, 2022, 12:59:47 AM
Quote from: Duna on January 28, 2022, 09:57:49 PM
Quote from: Over9K on January 28, 2022, 09:52:36 PM
So a theropod figure typically either has FDS, or ECS (External Chest Support)?
GR Toys carcharodontosaurus is a splendid figure whose feet are almost in the same line and stands perfectly stable. Much more than some PNSO figures with its rods (I can't stand the Corythosaurus and it's a quadruped).
FOTO from Dino ARTE review.
And the feet are not only almost alined but also under the body.

That's true, but the GR Carchar isn't "typical", it has an internal skeleton of ABS under the PVC and is made of harder PVC overall. It is unique in the marketplace.
No wonder the cost of the GR is what it is - you get what you pay for, in this case at least. Presumably the rumored GR T-rex will have the same internal construction. Now, that will be a serious competitor to Rebor's Kiss and Tusk.

Lynx

Quote from: SidB on February 01, 2022, 02:01:45 PM
Quote from: Over9K on January 30, 2022, 12:59:47 AM
Quote from: Duna on January 28, 2022, 09:57:49 PM
Quote from: Over9K on January 28, 2022, 09:52:36 PM
So a theropod figure typically either has FDS, or ECS (External Chest Support)?
GR Toys carcharodontosaurus is a splendid figure whose feet are almost in the same line and stands perfectly stable. Much more than some PNSO figures with its rods (I can't stand the Corythosaurus and it's a quadruped).
FOTO from Dino ARTE review.
And the feet are not only almost alined but also under the body.

That's true, but the GR Carchar isn't "typical", it has an internal skeleton of ABS under the PVC and is made of harder PVC overall. It is unique in the marketplace.
No wonder the cost of the GR is what it is - you get what you pay for, in this case at least. Presumably the rumored GR T-rex will have the same internal construction. Now, that will be a serious competitor to Rebor's Kiss and Tusk.

I would guess Kiss and Tusk would be the more "affordable" options and more freedom for the collector to choose from many different paint schemes and choose lips or no lips, something GR usually does not offer. I don't think they would compete much, but we'll see.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

This figure will most likely cost $60 to $70, maybe even more especially with shipping. So basically the same price as GR toys' Carcharodontosaurs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 02, 2022, 03:03:40 AM
40-60.00 probably.  shipping is 4.00 via BBTS

Yeah, recent large REBOR theropods: Retro Rexes were $46, Carno was $48, Saurophaganax is $50. I think the price creep has more to do with the rise of inflation than anything else...

Over9K

Quote from: SRF on February 01, 2022, 09:00:41 AM.

avatar_Over9K @Over9K maybe this picture gives a better view on how Kiss compares to the Killer Queen Rex.

That is indeed a better comparison. I still see a similar overall length between the two, with K&T having a bit more mass throughout. K&T will probably outweigh the same-size-ish KQ by a couple  ounces.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 02, 2022, 12:12:07 PM
40-60.00 probably.  shipping is 4.00 via BBTS

Yeah, recent large REBOR theropods: Retro Rexes were $46, Carno was $48, Saurophaganax is $50. I think the price creep has more to do with the rise of inflation than anything else...

It's probably that and rising shipping costs from Asia.  I talked to a friend in the Philippines last night, cargo containers have went from 8,000.00 to 20,000.00 and are hard to secure at the moment. 

Quote from: Over9K on February 02, 2022, 12:15:18 PM
Quote from: SRF on February 01, 2022, 09:00:41 AM.

That is indeed a better comparison. I still see a similar overall length between the two, with K&T having a bit more mass throughout. K&T will probably outweigh the same-size-ish KQ by a couple  ounces.

One thing I thought of is just how bulky the sculpt will be. KQ was relatively thin like the Grab and Go Rex. Have we seen any overhead shots?

Tracewyrm!

One thing I thought of is just how bulky the sculpt will be. KQ was relatively thin like the Grab and Go Rex. Have we seen any overhead shots?

We don't really have any overhead shots, but judging by this picture, it looks pretty bulky.

In comparison, KQ doesn't look as bulky (Granted, the angle doesn't line up exactly, but I think you get the point). We'll probably have to wait for a better shot to really get a solid idea of how bulky the sculpt is exactly, though.
* (It's locked.)

danmalcolm

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: danmalcolm on February 02, 2022, 08:55:32 PM

Ventral view here. Pleasantly bulky :)

Oh man that's impressive looking!  It only appeared to have FDS because it's got a very robust and wide shape.  This looks nice!

I think rebor is going to sell a LOT of these, expect more than four color options guys!  This sculpt is fantastic!  It really does capture the sheer mass of T-rex, it looks mean as heck, wow.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Over9K

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Over9K on February 03, 2022, 05:26:28 PM

Oh man, this is gonna be real photogenic!

I like that they are going more accurate with the science.  I'm not saying it's 100% or anything but they're trying, right?  The one view where it's looking directly at is is awesome!  The feet might be a bit large but I think it's absolutely beautiful!  I can't wait to have both of them on my shelf!

I will be waiting a bit to see what the different color options are going to be tho so I probably won't buy until they've been out for like 6 months, they're just now releasing new paint schemes on the sabertooth so six months sounds about right.

JohannesB

I thought came too mind, and it concerns expectations mostly. I am old (well, relatively old, I guess) and possibly I have become cynical to the point I always feel a 'need' to find something wrong with anything. Well, not anything, or everything. But anyway, my point is, for example, a figure like this Rebor Tyrannosaurus. 40 Years ago I would have been ecstatic if I were able to obtain a beauty like this. But I guess my standards for quality have risen a lot since I was a child, so in that sense I can understand how my feelings and expectations have evolved. Nonetheless, Rebor, you are doing a wonderful job, and keep up the good work. We know and see that you are evolving with us :-)

Dinoburger

This figure is probably the one I'm most excited to buy this year.

Hoping Rebor gives us an update soon on a release date.
The part I'm torn about is that I love the paint scheme on Tusk, but want the lips from Kiss. Depending on costs I may end up buying both, but if I had to buy 1, it would be Kiss though.

Hurry up and let us buy this thing Rebor!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: