News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor: 1/11±1 Smilodon populator

Started by blnadal, June 24, 2021, 01:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 02, 2022, 05:26:04 PM
Well it's different. I hope all these repaints aren't a sign it's not selling as well as hoped.  I like my Plain piece.

Isn't this pretty standard with Rebor tho?  I kind of like that they offer different paint schemes on their figures in case I didn't  like the first one. I'm still not buying one of these because of the size.  I know I was hard on this figure when I first saw it but it's grown on me since and it's a very cool looking figure.  If it wasn't so big I'd be all over that tiger stripe scheme, I love it!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 02, 2022, 05:30:14 PM
Well it's different. I hope all these repaints aren't a sign it's not selling as well as hoped.  I like my Plain piece.
Wouldn't a lot of repaints mean it's selling well?

Perhaps he meant that they had a back log of unsold figures and sent them back to the factory to spruce them up with the hope they'll sell?  IDK, maybe I misunderstood what he meant because I assumed what you are saying, that perhaps they're well into a second production run due to good sales, IDK either ways just speculating.

Shonisaurus

They look good, sales must be a success when selling several versions of the same figure painting and honestly I really like the cheetah version, the tiger version is honestly very well done but I'm not passionate about it as a collector.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 02, 2022, 07:15:41 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on February 02, 2022, 05:30:14 PM
Wouldn't a lot of repaints mean it's selling well?

Perhaps he meant that they had a back log of unsold figures and sent them back to the factory to spruce them up with the hope they'll sell?  IDK, maybe I misunderstood what he meant because I assumed what you are saying, that perhaps they're well into a second production run due to good sales, IDK either ways just speculating.

That's what I meant.  They do usually have several color schemes planned, but we don't normally see  so many at once.  This makes 5 of them.  We are still waiting on two color schemes for the retrosaurs stiil and the Invicta version.  It's just odd to see so many at one time.  Feels like a grab?  Not sure in which direction of course, either it undersold so they did this to give more different product or it is possible it has sold so well they released some new colors to take advantage of it's popularity.  It's just business.  As I said, I DO hope it's selling well. 

Thialfi

I received my smilodon (Ice Age version) and it's such an amazing model. Huge and heavy, beautiful detail - it demands attention. One of the teeth is a little bent though, would the classic hot water trick help out here?

Rivera2171

I would try that or hair dryer on low.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Thialfi on February 13, 2022, 12:27:38 PM
I received my smilodon (Ice Age version) and it's such an amazing model. Huge and heavy, beautiful detail - it demands attention. One of the teeth is a little bent though, would the classic hot water trick help out here?

Depends if its bent or just inserted slightly off.  mine was the same and i just left it, kinda adds some character.

Thialfi

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon looks a little bent in transit. You are right though, it doesn't look bad at all. I am going to give it an attempt once, if it doesn't work out I am totally okay with that as well.

Thanks R @Rivera2171!

Again: this model has such a presence. It's really something else. Very happy to have it. I feel Rebor outdid themselves here, can't wait for more prehistoric mammals from them.

Fenestra

So after Plain, Ice Age, Year of the Tiger, there apparently is also a Jungle version now?

Edit: Looks like this isn't news. Sorry. For me it was the first time I saw the Jungle version.
All of the pictures of the last two pages of this thread don't show up anymore. I guess it was shown here before.

Shonisaurus

Honestly the smilodon that I like the most is the leopard version, the tiger version can be attractive but for me it is the least interesting the tiger version of smilodon Rebor just looks like a saber-toothed tiger, it is the least realistic painting version of smilodon and less attractive to me.

I like the other versions better (the classic ones) and the one that attracts me the most by far is the leopard version that is still not commercialized by far.

Kei

I recently got my hands on the Jungle version of Stray-cat. I have to say the paint application has gotten significantly better than the original plain version. I'll let the photos do the talking now :) 

Paleo Flo

I'm not that big into prehistoric mammals, but the sculpt & paint are cool!
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Fenestra

I like it!
Very nice photos too, Kei.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.