News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2022

Started by Takama, August 03, 2021, 08:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

I really appreciate how Andy is now including quite relevant figures with the review, for comparison purposes, particularly the two older Para's. Given the classic Schleich stylization, this is a good figure. Definitely getting the Styracosaurus, will have to ruminate on it for this one. These days, what Parasaurolophus can compare with the brilliant PNSO release, but taken on its own as a Schleich, I like this figure.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Libraraptor

That Amargasaurus somehow does not look credible to me.

Skorpio V.

I honestly prefer their Barapasaurus/2017 Brachiosaurus-type sauropod sculpts to this. Both are not ideal though. The Brontosaurus and this just look saggy around their sides.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Prehistory Resurrection

https://youtu.be/QUddrT3_5L4
Schleich 2022 Styracosaurus in hand
https://youtu.be/r41qXmgQVTY
Schleich 2022 Nothosaurus in hand
https://youtu.be/UbC1R2t3Ybs
Schleich 2022 Majungasaurus in hand

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection . This latest round of images confirms for me my earlier decision to order the decent Styracosaurus and it alone. I can 't handle the clown feet and sausage teeth on the Majungo and Notho, respectively.

Shonisaurus

I honestly love majungasaurus judging by those pictures! The painting of the toy sculpture is very careful and honestly for me it is the best figure of that kind that I am going to have in my collection, for me it is the best figure of all of this year 2022 by Schleich.

Schleich's Styracosaurus 2022 is an improvement over its predecessors and honestly an improvement when it comes to ceratopsids with its pentaceratops and triceratops counterparts last figure. Honestly, from my personal opinion, this year is one of Schleich's best, if not the best. I am very happy with all that this toy dinosaur company has advanced.

SidB

Seems that the Styracosaurus won't be in scale with their quite good 2018 Triceratops. Too large. A bit shorter and a bit taller, at least to the top of the frill spikes. I'm not surprised, but a mite disappointed as I'd wanted it to be substantially smaller than the Triceratops. However, it makes sense marketing-wise. I strongly suspect that a major reason for the fine Diabloceratops being deleted from their inventory so quickly was because of its relatively diminutive size. Young kids want something hefty to hold in hand and the smaller ones, like the Tawa, Psittacosaurus or Diablosaurus just don't have that attribute, despite their value to collectors. So, a bigger Styracosaurus makes sense for the market, if not for the collector.

Ordered one anyways - it's Schleich's best dinosaur for 2022 to date, IMO.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SidB on February 01, 2022, 03:20:10 AM
Seems that the Styracosaurus won't be in scale with their quite good 2018 Triceratops. Too large. A bit shorter and a bit taller, at least to the top of the frill spikes. I'm not surprised, but a mite disappointed as I'd wanted it to be substantially smaller than the Triceratops. However, it makes sense marketing-wise. I strongly suspect that a major reason for the fine Diabloceratops being deleted from their inventory so quickly was because of its relatively diminutive size. Young kids want something hefty to hold in hand and the smaller ones, like the Tawa, Psittacosaurus or Diablosaurus just don't have that attribute, despite their value to collectors. So, a bigger Styracosaurus makes sense for the market, if not for the collector.

Ordered one anyways - it's Schleich's best dinosaur for 2022 to date, IMO.

I probably have around 60 dinosaur figures and not a single one is a Schleich.  That said, I have a 100 plus extant animals in my collection and a bunch are Schleich figures.  And some of them are amazing!  I don't know why the dino department at Schleich seems to get a lower budget with what appears to be lower level research.  This new Styracosaurus would've probably become my first Schleich dinosaur because I really like Styracosaurus and it has a look.  A really cool vibe to it,  but it's kind of large, the skin is, IDK maybe a tad over done?  And also the the tail is really strange looking because it's so long.

SidB

avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS , I agree that the tail seems longish. I don't have it in hand yet, but it also appears that the PNSO's tail is fairly long too (I'm also waiting for one of these to arrive too). The curve in the Scleich's tail marks it as different, compared to the PNSO''s straight one. Size-wise, the Schleich Pentaceratops is also too large in relation to their Triceratops, so discrepancies in scale are common for them. Schleich seems to follow the beat of their own drummer when it comes to skin texture.

PrimevalRaptor

Man I'm still sad over the Nothosaurus, the teeth are pretty awful but I guess with it being intended as a toy I could have looked past it but the pose just hurts. Maybe it'll grow on me if I see it in a store but I still feel conflicted.
Teeth for the Majungasaurus seem a bit weirdly painted but otherwise this one seems pretty alright apart from the arms (how does this keep happening with abelisaurs?)
Styracosaurus is still the winner in terms of sculpt but something about the paint app feels a bit cheap, should be much better with a repaint though.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 01, 2022, 01:28:05 PM
Man I'm still sad over the Nothosaurus, the teeth are pretty awful but I guess with it being intended as a toy I could have looked past it but the pose just hurts. Maybe it'll grow on me if I see it in a store but I still feel conflicted.
Teeth for the Majungasaurus seem a bit weirdly painted but otherwise this one seems pretty alright apart from the arms (how does this keep happening with abelisaurs?)
Styracosaurus is still the winner in terms of sculpt but something about the paint app feels a bit cheap, should be much better with a repaint though.

It finally occurred to me why the pose on the Styracosaurus looks so interesting to me.  It's something that four legged animals do when they travel at medium rate of speed, their limbs are fully extended and for a micro second none of the limbs are bearing weight even though a couple might be glancing the ground.  I've seen horses, bull, and deer figures portrayed like this in PVC but except for the old CollectA Mercuriceratops I can't remember too many ceratopsians portrayed in this manner.  It implies a healthy and strong  animal capable of moving quickly.

PrimevalRaptor

For those interested in more pictures, I saw the new releases in store today (except for the Majungasaurus) and tried taking some images

The Nothosaurus...is rough, I said I was thinking of picking it up in person but I'll hold of on a sale, for 15€ it's not really THAT large and I still really don't like the pose, still very conflicted about this one.

Figured some of you may want to see the Styracosaurus compared to the Diabloceratops, given the not very big size difference it's interesting that the Styracosaurus is 5€ more expensive.
The colors itself feel a bit cheap, especially around the eye but man, the model itself is amazing, feels like peak repaint material.

Shonisaurus

Honestly the nothosaurus looks pretty good, much better than its styracosaurus counterpart. Honestly, that Schleich styracosaurus will need a repaint like the ones Martin Garratt does or like the ones done by many DTF members who are just as brilliant as the aforementioned artist.

SidB

Here's a shot of Schleich's last three ceratopsians, which gives an accurate sense of their relative sizes. Note the Styracosaurus.

A very nice sculpt, though the pale pink paint in the mouth isn't a great choice and the green paint could be supplemented and integrated more effectively.

For the first time, a Schleich ceratopsian has, quite properly, only three of the five digits on the manus with nails, the outer two being nailless. That's a bit of a breakthrough.

Libraraptor

All three are quite decent ceratopsian figures. But since I prefer stranger species choices, I will probably only be getting myself the Nothosaurus, despite its stranger than strange pose.

Shonisaurus

It is a very nice figure. Now Schleich makes quality figures from my point of view, well for a few years. Honestly, the styracosaurus is very well sculpted but for now I'll buy the majungasaurus (I have it ordered) and then I'll focus on the styracosaurus and the nothosaurus. For now the parasaurolophus and the amargasaurus can wait, for me they are the least interesting figures although they are decently sculpted.

Fembrogon

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on February 04, 2022, 03:31:19 PM
The Nothosaurus...is rough, I said I was thinking of picking it up in person but I'll hold of on a sale, for 15€ it's not really THAT large and I still really don't like the pose, still very conflicted about this one.
I actually think it looks less bad in those photos than it did in the promo pic; but I concede it still doesn't look entirely good. It's a shame; I appreciate Schleich taking chances with genera like this, but the results aren't very convincing.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: