News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bird Cages!

Started by Lynx, October 30, 2021, 09:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Hey there! I've begun to prep my apartment for any future birds, and currently, I'm researching about the Cockatiel, which apparently is a good apartment bird.
I can't wait to show you all the setup I'm designing for my other pets, but for now, I'll start at square one:

Do you all have any recommendations for good Cockatiel cages? If so, do you know the brand name or have a link to it? (Note that be "good" I mean appropriate bar spacing, dimensions, and materials)

Feel free to also use this thread as a way to show your bird cages and setups to others!
An oversized house cat.

Duck

https://www.petbarn.com.au/you-me-apartment-bird-cage-coffee
This one is pretty big and expensive but I've had friends with Cockatiels (And other birds) who used this cage.
Hope this helps.  ^-^
He who dwells in pond

Lanthanotus

As you intend to get aan animal as a pet, that actually flies (and that a lot and very fast in the wild), you should consider a cage that makes the best out of the space it occupies. So there should be no ornamental structures that just limit the space the animal can use. So a cage in a simple cubic form would maybe not be the fanciest, but the best for the animal in terms of space available. In addition, those simpler forms are often less expensive in comparison, simply because they are easier to produce.

I consider you are outside the EU (North America I suppose), but from a lot of markets I know that a great array of products is considerably cheaper there than in Europe. Also, you could buy a used cage. As they are most easily to clean, there`s no real problem abot hygiene.

This cage for example offers almost five times the space of the one linked above while occupying only 0.4 square meteres of floor space. In general the bird would profit more of an elongate cage for extended flight, but as you plan to have in free in the appartment, that sould be okay.

stargatedalek

Agreed in full. That Petbarn cage is unacceptably small for cockatiels. That is a good cage for finches or canaries only.

Duck

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 31, 2021, 04:40:16 PM
Agreed in full. That Petbarn cage is unacceptably small for cockatiels. That is a good cage for finches or canaries only.
Oh my, it appears my friends should find better bird cages.  :P
He who dwells in pond

Grimbeard

I kept Budgerigars back when I was still living at my parents, which are also great appartments birds and are quite similar in upkeep to cockatiels. Sadly, I currently dont have the time to properly keep pets.

Some things about cages:

- Have in mind that the cage should have enough space for at least 2 birds. Keeping any kind of flocking bird, ESPECIALLY any kind of parrot, without at least one partner is short of animal cruelity. Parrots are very social and need contant attention and unless you are willing to spend many hours each day, they will be lonley and suffer without at least one companion. Try to avoid keeping two females, females parrots tend to not get along well without a male.

- The bars should primary be horizontal. This way the bird will have have a much easier time climbing around inside and outside the cage.

- Keep the shape boxy. Round or ornate cages might look nice, but are both wasting space for your birds and makes it harder for them to navigate on and inside the cage.

- Leave enough room between the poles so that the birds are forced to fly or at least hop between at least some of them.

- Use if possible  natural branches instead of round wooden poles or worse, plastic poles. This way you avoid foot malformations and my birds loved to chew of the bark. Just make sure to only use wood that is not toxic to your birds.

- Use bird sand with grit  or  Beech wood granules as ground cover instead of papers. The grit in bird sand helps the birds digestion while most birds love to place around in wood granues, particular beech (at least mine did)

- Use food/water container that cant be attached to the side of the cage. Makes it easer the change food/water and prevents the birbs from pooing in them (too much).

- Give them plenty toys (especially robes, bells or anything that is shiny or makes noise) but avoid mirrors, as they promote unnatural, unhealthy behaviours since most bird cant distinguish between their mirror images and real birds.

Good examples for perfect cage would be

I hope this helped  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.