News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ingenia`s sculpts: now digital (and a question)

Started by ingenia, March 18, 2012, 08:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady medusa

How do you get the scales To look so clean? Do you have a certain tool to press into the epoxy or something? How long does it take to make all these scales?

ingenia

I use some normal sculpting tools, but not for the scales.It is more comfortable to make the scales when the mixing of the epoxy components was at least 30 -60 minutes ago, so the material is not that sticky anymore.Now you just have to press a little ball of the epoxy on the sculpture and flat it out, then again with a smaller or larger amount of material to make different sizes of scales.You have to watch out that they look like a unity,  no overlaps or other mistakes.You can polish them with your fingers to make it look cleaner and to avoid fingerprints(If you don`t work with gloves).It takes its time, but I think texturing the skin with other methods does,too.

To Tylosaurus: I thought about your question if a Tylosaurus would be possible. I think definitely yes! Maybe the skin would look less scaly,more like a sea turtle.Would also be cool to  sculpt some prey like an ammonite between his jaws. I definitely thinking about sculpting one this year. Argh, if I would just have more time!

ingenia

I just have a design question I want to ask. I am now sculpting a bust of one of my favorite theropods, rugops. I am not sure how the crest should look like or if it should even get a real crest, because there is no proof that rugops really had these, although it is often shown in palaeoart.
What would you think (as a design choice, not from a science view)?:
1.No crest
2.Small crest with some spikes
3.Just a small crest
4.Bigger crest with spikes
5.Just a bigger crest

Thanks

Gryphoceratops

Looking at the skull it appears there was def something going on the head there.  If I wanted to be safest I would go with some rougher scales on that section but not a full out frilly crest. 

Thagirion

Everything is excellent. I admire anyone that can make something from nothing in a tangible form like that.  Would love to see you do full bodies.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Blade-of-the-Moon

Lady medusa

Quote from: ingenia on May 06, 2012, 07:00:33 PM
I just have a design question I want to ask. I am now sculpting a bust of one of my favorite theropods, rugops. I am not sure how the crest should look like or if it should even get a real crest, because there is no proof that rugops really had these, although it is often shown in palaeoart.
What would you think (as a design choice, not from a science view)?:
1.No crest
2.Small crest with some spikes
3.Just a small crest
4.Bigger crest with spikes
5.Just a bigger crest

Thanks

I agree with Blade. Todd marshells verson of rugops is pretty intense but still logical! I would figure it would be similar to carnotaurus as far as scaling and cresting would go and there is alot more information on carnotaurus then rugops.

ingenia

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 07, 2012, 02:51:18 AM
I prefer this one :

Yes Blade, in fact this is the picture I use as a main reference, especially the color scheme.I just wasn`t sure if it maybe should get a bigger crest, otherwise I think the rugops reconstruction from Paul Sereno has nearly no crest at all.
This small crest is a good compromise, maybe it will fit the best.

ingenia

I am searching for good skeletal drawings of guanlong, but I can`t find any with google. Would proceratosaurus be the most comparable (there are some reconstructions of this one)? I am thinking about sculpting a full body guanlong, but I wouldn`t start this if there are no reconstructions.I  just want to make some design drawings, I am not able to sculpt at the moment because of some health problems , so I can`t finish my rugops bust in the next time.
So if someone knows of some drawings it would be nice to know. ^-^

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's terrible, I hope your help problems are alleviated soon.

It does look like Proceratosaurus may be really close .

Skeletal :

It reminds me a lot of Dilophosaurus.

I couldn't find a good skeletal but I did find a nice fleshed one to compare to by Raul Martin :

You may look at other related species like Kileskus and others.

Hope that helps a bit.

Jetoar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 30, 2012, 06:58:39 PM

Skeletal :

I couldn't find a good skeletal but I did find a nice fleshed one to compare to by Raul Martin :

Hope that helps a bit.

OMG!!!! yours sculptures are amazing and i would like to see the Guanlong finished  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

ingenia

Skeletal :

Hope that helps a bit.

Blade, I think the Raul Martin picture is really close to what I would imagine the guanlong to look like, maybe I could use it, although I prefer skeletal drawings. It is a shame that there is no picture of it and it shows that even the internet has its limits :-\.
By the way, if you search for guanlong pictures, in my opinion the drawing of himmapaan is by far the best, I would love to use his drawing as a main design reference if he is okay with that.

Quote from: Jetoar on July 30, 2012, 07:55:20 PM

Skeletal :

Hope that helps a bit.

OMG!!!! yours sculptures are amazing and i would like to see the Guanlong finished  ^-^.

Jetoar, thanks that you like them!
With the guanlong, I think that would be a long time project, it should be around 2m (6feet) long, and as I work really slow I think it would probably take at least 12 months to finish this.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm sure Niroot wouldn't have a problem with you using his design..I believe he would in fact be honored knowing him as I do. :)

Himmapaan

Ingenia, as Chris says, I am extremely flattered (and surprised  :o) that you think so highly of my illustration.  Thank you. :-[ I'd be honoured if you would use it as a reference.

I also based my restoration on Proceratosaurus.

ingenia

Quote from: Himmapaan on August 02, 2012, 08:53:26 PM
Ingenia, as Chris says, I am extremely flattered (and surprised  :o) that you think so highly of my illustration.  Thank you. :-[ I'd be honoured if you would use it as a reference.

I also based my restoration on Proceratosaurus.

Thanks that I can use it, although I don`t know when I will have the time to start this. I think your illustrations are in the top class of paleoart, especiallly the Guanlong :)).
Nice to know that you based it on Proceratosaurus.

postsaurischian

I know most forum members hate Gregory S. Paul's theories, but considering different scientific perceptions can lead to the best results.
He describes a relation to Monolophosaurus.
There is a disagreement about whether Guanlong is a basal allosaur or tyrannosaur.
(see: The Princeton Field Guide to Dinosaurs pp. 93, 94)

..... and yes, Niroot's illustration is astonishing! I know the guy who owns it ;).

ingenia

As I mentioned before I have the interest to sculpt a full body dinosaur instead of always doing only busts.The sculpture should have a length of about 2 meters, and the Guanlong would be really nice to do, especially with Himmapaans drawing as a reference.But I think Guanlong has to be shown as a fuzzy, feathered animal, which would be difficult for me (I thought about making it more classic, scaly, but in the end it wouldn`t make much sense). So I am working at my Rugops bust at the moment, and I realize if I would turn this one into a  full body sculpture, it would still be in the size range I looked out for.This would save me a lot of time, having sculpted most of the head already. It would be nice to know what others think.
Here are some pictures:

Remember the blue parts are not finished and will be covered in the end!

This picture is a few weeks old:

Actual status:

So with this one I would update the thread more frequently, showing the progress and asking for some help maybe.
I I fail or loose the passion I could still finish it as a bust, wouldn`t have a problem with that.

postsaurischian

tyrantqueen

This is nice :) I like your use of colours. If you made sculptures in 1/40 scale I would totally buy them XD

How long have you been sculpting btw? Are you self taught?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks beautifully detailed to me and accurate so far.  I  really like the color choices too..one of the hardest things for me to settle on. :)

I have to 2nd Tyrant Queen, if you did smaller full body pieces I would certainly love to purchase one..of course I'd buy a bust as well. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: