News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd Ammonite Species

Started by Python, December 04, 2021, 11:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Python

Does anybody know what species the Safari Ltd Ammonite is? :P

The fossil Ammonite is Peltoceratoides in the Ancient Fossils Tube. I'm asking about the big Ammonite.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Python on December 04, 2021, 11:55:46 PM
Does anybody know what species the Safari Ltd Ammonite is? :P

The fossil Ammonite is Peltoceratoides in the Ancient Fossils Tube. I'm asking about the big Ammonite.

The review on the main Dino Toy Blog suggests that it belongs to a species in the genus Pleuroceras, in which case the toy is more or less life-sized!
It does seem slightly more knobby than the fossil pictures I can find though, so it's possible the review isn't quite right. I imagine it would be closely related though.
http://dinotoyblog.com/2016/07/08/ammonite-wild-safari/

Halichoeres

I once tried to figure it out, but ammonite taxonomy relies in large part on traits that aren't observable in a life reconstruction. I think it's safe to say it isn't Pleuroceras, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Wasn't it sculpted by avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson ? Maybe he can offer some insight?

Doug Watson

Python

I just emailed Safari and they said it was based off Pleuroceras, although it doesn't resemble Pleuroceras. The mystery continues

stargatedalek

Could it be Eugassiceras? The spines are a bit more exaggerated on the figure, it's probably be a better match for the Bullyland ammonite, but it's certainly closer than Pleuroceras.

Python

It's certainly a possibility. Udo savalli identified Bullyland's white And yellow ammonite as Pleydellia (one of the main reasons i bought a knock off of the bullyland ammonite) but you can tell he hasn't updated it in a while, since it doesn't include Collecta's Pleuroceras or Pravitoceras. I might buy the brown ammonite to represent Eugassiceras if we find a better species for the Safari version. I usually don't like stand-ins in my collection, but since a majority of ammonite figures are incertae sedis, I'm okay with that here.

Quote from: Python on December 07, 2021, 12:41:47 AM
It's certainly a possibility. Udo savalli identified Bullyland's white And yellow ammonite as Pleydellia (one of the main reasons i bought a knock off of the bullyland ammonite) but you can tell he hasn't updated it in a while, since it doesn't include Collecta's Pleuroceras or Pravitoceras. I might buy the brown ammonite to represent Eugassiceras if we find a better species for the Safari version. I usually don't like stand-ins in my collection, but since a majority of ammonite figures are incertae sedis, I'm okay with that here.

Whoa, I've never even heard of half of these figures.
I had no idea there were this many ammonite models, even if many of them are (as I assume) rather obscure.

Python

A lot of those are shapeways models, but the others are by Collecta and Kaiyodo with a Couple bullylands

stargatedalek

I don't buy the larger Bullyland ammonite as Pleuroceras any more than the Safari, same sort of spines while the real thing is lacking them.

ZoPteryx

John

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Python

Quote from: ZoPteryx on December 07, 2021, 07:08:16 AM
Could it be Hoplites dentatus?

It looks more like the Safari figure than Pleuroceras does, and it also has similar spines. This might be the id unless somebody can think of a species that resembles it better. It still wouldn't be as good as confirmation from the sculptor, but judging from the response I got from Safari (they said it was Pleuroceras, but it's too spiky), I don't think confirmation is likely 

Quote from: Python on December 07, 2021, 02:24:29 PM
Quote from: ZoPteryx on December 07, 2021, 07:08:16 AM
Could it be Hoplites dentatus?

It looks more like the Safari figure than Pleuroceras does, and it also has similar spines. This might be the id unless somebody can think of a species that resembles it better. It still wouldn't be as good as confirmation from the sculptor, but judging from the response I got from Safari (they said it was Pleuroceras, but it's too spiky), I don't think confirmation is likely

Oooh, I like that I.D. - It seems like a good match for what we have.
Unless we get an actual ammonite expert in here to tell us otherwise, this is now my headcanon for the species represented by the Safari model, regardless of whether Safari themselves describe it as Pleuroceras.

stargatedalek

Hoplites looks like the better option, the spines are more distinct (thought still not quite as dramatic as the Safari).

Hard to find images of Eugassiceras, but you can see here the spines are a lot more reduced, similar to the Bullyland figure.

Python

So it looks like we've done a good job. Just to recap..

Safari Ammonite = Hoplites

Bullyland Ammontite (White) = Pleydellia (thanks to Udo Savalli)

Bullyland Ammonite (Brown) = Eugassiceras

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.