News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best PNSO?

Started by Duck, December 27, 2021, 10:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: SRF on December 28, 2021, 09:18:19 PM
No offence taken avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn :) I agree with you, that's why I also added that the Yutyrannus displays really well with other figures that are closer to 1:35 scale. I mentioned this especially to point out that I don't feel that the Yutyrannus is too small.

When it comes to my take of what the best PNSO figures are, I'm still biased towards Winter Wilson. I especially like to display him together with Andrea, together they really look stunning I feel.

Other PNSO figures that are "the best" for me are the Parasaurolophus, Tarbosaurus, Qianzhousaurus, Yutyrannus, Carnotaurus and Pachycephalosaurus. But that's of course all just my personal preference.

avatar_SRF @SRF I was simply expecting the figure to be a tad bit larger, as I did not know the scale at the time. I was unable to find a review with other figures to compare sizes and blindly bought it, which was heavily my mistake. The longer I have the figure the more I understand and it actually seems larger now to me, sorry for the confusion.  :(
An oversized house cat.

bmathison1972

I don't have a ton of PNSO but I'd say the 'best' (i.e., my favorite) is the Atopodentatus.

I have no opinion on a worst/least favorite.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Duck on December 29, 2021, 04:03:40 AM
Aw dammit, now I'm having indecision between the GR toys Carcharodontosaurus and the PNSO one.
Any thoughts?

I don't know if this will help you decide but I can tell you the reasons why I chose the PNSO version.  The PNSO is only 5-6% smaller but almost 1/2 the price and in my case at 20% off black friday sale it was definitely less than half the cost.  Another factor was that being a prime amazon item I got it for free shipping in two days so I didn't have to pay Lana toys $12 additional bucks and I didn't have to wait 2 months to get it.  Then there are the other reasons, the biggest of which is a personal pet peeve of mine and the reason I don't own winter wilson or domingo the carnotaurus even tho carnotaurus is my favorite dinosaur.  The skin or over sized scales, I can see the scales on the GR version without my reading glasses ;) 

A couple of other personal opinion reasons are that I prefer lipless theropods, I felt the GR version has some shrink wrapping, the colors are overdone, it can't close it's mouth because of the engineering around the lips, the legs and tail look too long, it looks very thin, and the hands and feet look a tad big.  But these are MY opinions and the very reasons someone else might actually prefer the GR version.  Both have a nice pose and both are pleasant to look at so both are nice models.  It's just my personal opinion that Gamba is a sculpting work of art, the subtle detailing is sublime.  With a better paint job it would almost be perfect.

Grimbeard

Quote from: Skorpio V. on December 29, 2021, 05:26:17 PM
I'd go for the GR Toys one, personally.

In other news, I made a Tier List for you guys to rank every Prehistoric Model of theirs (except the minis)! https://tiermaker.com/create/pnso-prehistoric-models-1432826

Thats actually a clever way to use a tier list,as it allows a more nuanced rating than "good" and "bad", even if it is missing most of the minis.

Here is my take    

TBH, only the ones placed in F Tier are subjectivly not good, even the D tier ones have some merit, but are either too big, have a "weird" design or i actively dislike the species (looking at you, Megalodon).

On the topic of PNSO vs GR Carcharodontosaurus:

Both have their merits, I think I also comes down to what position do you want the Carcharo in your collection: if you want to have it stand out, pick the GR toys for the more flashy, eye-catching paintjob. If you want it to blend in with other figures more, pick the PNSO one.

Sim

I'll share some further thoughts I have on the GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus vs the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus.

I got my GR Toys version from Dinosaur Time and it only took a couple of days to arrive.  I have owned the PNSO Carnotaurus and its scales are more exaggerated than the GR Toys figure, I find the scales of the GR Toys figure to be pleasant and subtle.  I'm not sure if the GR Toys is shrink-wrapped, but the PNSO looks shrink-wrapped on the head to me.  I agree the colours are overdone on the blue GR Toys Carch but I think they look great on the orange GR Toys Carch.  I find the colouration of the PNSO Carch to be pleasant except for the black around its mouth, I find that to look dreadful, to me it looks like its gums are being exposed or something.  The proportions of the GR Toys Carch look fine to me.  I initially thought its forelimbs looked too big but in person they don't.

Lynx

Here's my list:
Was kind of rushed, I'll redo it later today (click on the image to view the larger version)
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

No wonder everybody makes these, they're fun.

I only included ones I personally own, I don't much care to pass judgement on a model I haven't seen in hand.

GojiraGuy1954

I made the objective correct list
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

Poor hatchling rex, aside from its eyes having whites it's not terrible. They also never falsely accused it of being nanotyrannus.

*edit*
This one probably skews high because the minis aren't on it, and most of them are (imo) significantly better. If they were here as reference points many would probably go lower than I have them.

Halichoeres

These are fun, thanks for putting it together, avatar_Skorpio V. @Skorpio V.

Interesting to see the varied opinions, here's mine, relative to each other. Some of the rankings would change in the context of figures from other companies (Safari, CollectA, Kaiyodo, Favorite).

Also, in case it's useful, here's an album of photographs of all the PNSO figures I own except the Tylosaurus and Cretoxyrhina, which haven't gotten their closeups yet: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137381464@N07/sets/72157672292032222/

I have 46 altogether, 14 of which are minis.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Duna

Quote from: Duck on December 29, 2021, 05:52:51 PM
Wish list update:
Pnso Tarbosaurus
GR toys Carcharodontosaurus
Pnso Parasaurolophus
Pnso Spinosaurus 2020
I took away the Corythosaurus since I still think the head looks weird.
Replaced the Carcharodontosaurus.
Maybe I should make a wish list thread lol.
I was about to tell my suggestions, but they are almost just the same as you have decided yourself  :))

PNSO tarbosaurus is a figure with a lot of presence, hefty, it looks very nice. One of my favourites from this year. One foot is larger than the other.
PNSO parasaurolophus is no doubt my favourite, not only from this year, but one of the most nice figures from PNSO. Believe, if you want a parasaurolophus in your collection, this is the one to get. It has a nice size, too.
GR Toys carcharodontosaurus is the other one I highly recommend. I was like you between this and the PNSO version, until I saw one video review in which they compared both of them and I made up my mind inmediately: they were like day and night. So I bought the GR Toys blueish version (in a sale only cost me 34€) and OMG, when you put that thing on the shelf, all PNSO figures around him look like toys. What a presence, its paint scheme is absolutely incredible. PNSO carcha has nothing to beat against it. I don't see it shrink wrapped, and it's larger than the PNSO, better head and doesn't need any rod or stand to stand perfectly and firm (you get tired of having ALL PNSO figures with stands). And in mine mouth closes almost perfectly, so it's a nice change from all PNSO lipless theropods.
I have PNSO spinosaurus, and yes, it's the best updated spinosaurus but it's ridiculously small. If you want other species more, go ahead first with them.
PNSO Corythosaurus is nice, but yes, the head looks too large. And mine doesn't stand at all, no matter how many times I have corrected the legs and arms. If you want a large figure in a nice colour, go for it.
But I mostly prefer the Lambeosaurus over it, it's a lovely figure (but smaller). The paint scheme doesn't look striking for me.

I also think the Torvosaurus is nice, I don't have it but I will buy it on a sale. If I had more money to spend, I would buy the olorotitan, too.

The PNSO ankylosaurus was my first PNSO figure and I highly recommend it, too. It's very hefty and one of the least expensive.

And I've just waited for a sale and bought the Dunkleosteous, and it's absolutely brilliant. I don't know if you need this figure in your collection but I highly recommend it. It looks like a live animal with a very convincing paint scheme.

Good luck with your purchases and pay attention to the sales, specially on new year  ;)

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Thialfi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on December 29, 2021, 06:47:35 PM
I don't have a ton of PNSO but I'd say the 'best' (i.e., my favorite) is the Atopodentatus.

I have no opinion on a worst/least favorite.
Looking at these lists and comments I love to see how loved this critter is. I love it as well.

Shadowknight1

I only own three at the moment(considering getting the new Spinosaurus and will be getting the Acrocanthosaurus unless they pull a CollectA with it), but my opinion of the ones I own is as follows:
Allosaurus: Great figure, honestly the subtle look for it is a nice contrast to the Papo Allosaurus he's displayed next to.  I was initially put off by the blue eyes, but I've grown to love them as they're a nice departure from the constant yellow lizard eyes given to dinosaurs.  He's my favorite, though I admit I am biased as Allosaurus is one of my favorite dinosaurs of all time.
Original Wilson: At the time I got him, I thought he was really neat and a good scaly rex to have alongside the feathered ones.  But he kept falling over, the paint kept rubbing off of his nose, and eventually he just didn't look appealing to me anymore.  This one is actually in a box somewhere with no plans to make him part of my display again as he just looks too monstrous, even compared to the JP rexes.
Winter Wilson: I don't quite understand the flak this one gets.  I love it.  I love the colors, I love the bulkiness, and I'm thankful he comes with a rod for support.  Mine DID come with an issue in that his tongue was not glued into the bottom of the mouth.  I did glue it in and nearly had a heart attack when I realized I used way too much glue and the mouth was stuck open for a bit.  And when I finally closed it, the throat was covered in white.  Thankfully, some hot water, soap, and a toothbrush were all I needed to clean him up as good as new!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Gwangi

Here's my list. I changed the tiers a bit and had a few difficult decisions to make but it should reasonably reflect how I feel. I left a few off because I didn't recognize them.

Dinoxels

Seeing some of you put Domingo very low, why? I get the scales are a bit big and the tail base could be beefier but overall it's way better then Andrea or something.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Duck

I own no PNSO models (yet) but I figured I'd make a tier list anyways based on how I think they look and on other people's reviews.

Also kinda on topic idk, what color variant should I get for the GR toys Carcharodontosaurus?
I like the blue one, but it looks bruised for some reason.
He who dwells in pond

stoneage

It seems to me that you guys seem to highly disagree.

Bread

Personally I dislike tier list cause I always feel like it changes all the time for myself.

Kind of shocked how many people dislike the old (version 2) of Wilson. For its time it was pretty good, followed by those old vinyl figures and older museum line models. I have to say they are outdated now, but were foot in the door for PNSO.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: