News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/40 Suchomimus- Released

Started by dinonikes, March 19, 2012, 11:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 07, 2012, 06:42:04 PM
Exactly. I'm not much on scale either..but I do love pieces I can see on a shelf without having to move in so close and examine them.   The larger vinyl Kaiyodos.. I love them you can see all that detail easily.  If they had scaled up that Sucho then we might have a serious contender here...though I prefer Malcom's active pose as well.

I really can't wait to see him finally get that 1/15 finished..at that size scales, spines, will all work out. :)

For the feathered dinos..I really want Griffon/Master Fossil's new Velociraptor..it's a larger piece probably as much as their Rex was but it's fully feathered and looked stunning in the ads in PT.  I'm sure Malcolm could also do feathers in a larger scale piece.

On that note, how cool would it be if someone made a feathered spinosaur? They are theropods, after all ;D
I've seen some of the ads for that Velociraptor. It does look pretty close in terms of feathering, if I remember right (can't find a photo at the moment), but there's still something I don't really like about it. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I'm not sure I like the overall look - it's predatory nature seems exaggerated, almost demonic. Maybe a repaint could help? I've actually talked to Malcolm before about doing a fairly large-scale Velociraptor. I've seen some of his extant feathered dinosaurs; I'm sure he could knock Velociraptor out of the park, so to speak.

Takama

The pose on this makes me think that its going after a fish in a river and all thats missing is the water

SBell

Quote from: Takama on November 07, 2012, 08:05:47 PM
The pose on this makes me think that its going after a fish in a river and all thats missing is the water

Get yourself a gar, pike, bichir or similar fish from Replica Toys Fish, Colorata, Yuijn or Kaiyodo (among, of course, others) and it oculd be done pretty easily.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 07, 2012, 07:12:59 PM
Exactly. I'm not much on scale either..but I do love pieces I can see on a shelf without having to move in so close and examine them.   The larger vinyl Kaiyodos.. I love them you can see all that detail easily.  If they had scaled up that Sucho then we might have a serious contender here...though I prefer Malcom's active pose as well.

I really can't wait to see him finally get that 1/15 finished..at that size scales, spines, will all work out. :)

For the feathered dinos..I really want Griffon/Master Fossil's new Velociraptor..it's a larger piece probably as much as their Rex was but it's fully feathered and looked stunning in the ads in PT.  I'm sure Malcolm could also do feathers in a larger scale piece.

On that note, how cool would it be if someone made a feathered spinosaur? They are theropods, after all ;D
I've seen some of the ads for that Velociraptor. It does look pretty close in terms of feathering, if I remember right (can't find a photo at the moment), but there's still something I don't really like about it. It's hard to pinpoint exactly, but I'm not sure I like the overall look - it's predatory nature seems exaggerated, almost demonic. Maybe a repaint could help? I've actually talked to Malcolm before about doing a fairly large-scale Velociraptor. I've seen some of his extant feathered dinosaurs; I'm sure he could knock Velociraptor out of the park, so to speak.

lol I've seen only a few feathered spinosaurs in art I liked..but I guess it could be done. ;D

That replica from looking at it here seems to be in an attack/running pose..all it's feathers are fluffed up and it's a reddish color as well..so it certainly has a frightening aspect to it...but I kinda like that. ;)

I'm sure he could ! His compsognathus replicas are amazingly done. I still have to order a set of them myself for my little dino park. :) So I can only think how nice a Velocirpator in 1/1 would be. I would certainly interested myself in it.

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 07, 2012, 08:53:57 PM
Quote from: Pixelboy on November 07, 2012, 07:12:59 PM

lol I've seen only a few feathered spinosaurs in art I liked..but I guess it could be done. ;D

That replica from looking at it here seems to be in an attack/running pose..all it's feathers are fluffed up and it's a reddish color as well..so it certainly has a frightening aspect to it...but I kinda like that. ;)

I'm sure he could ! His compsognathus replicas are amazingly done. I still have to order a set of them myself for my little dino park. :) So I can only think how nice a Velocirpator in 1/1 would be. I would certainly interested myself in it.

A 1/1 Velociraptor could be seriously expensive, but man, if it were birdlike enough to suit me, I would absolutely buy one :D I've got a replica foot and skull, together with a full-size model they'd make a fantastic exhibit!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I bet at only 6' long and most of that is tail, thin arms and legs it wouldn't be too bad. Not at all like a 1/1 Jurassic Park Raptor.   Malcolm does take commissions..maybe hit him up and ask ?

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 07, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
I bet at only 6' long and most of that is tail, thin arms and legs it wouldn't be too bad. Not at all like a 1/1 Jurassic Park Raptor.   Malcolm does take commissions..maybe hit him up and ask ?
Hah, I suppose I could make an inquiry - I imagine once he had one sculpted, the casts would sell pretty well, given how tough it is to find accurate dromaeosaurs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Pixelboy on November 09, 2012, 04:56:22 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 07, 2012, 10:32:04 PM
Hah, I suppose I could make an inquiry - I imagine once he had one sculpted, the casts would sell pretty well, given how tough it is to find accurate dromaeosaurs.

I'm sure, and he could make them to order. Save a bit that way.

Dinomike

Are there any left and how can I buy one? An awesome piece!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

tyrantqueen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Malcolm is apparently still producing just taking him awhile to get stuff out ( 1 year plus and counting ) but he always comes through.  This isn't his regular job so he can only do it in his spare time. The fellow on ebay lives near him and buys big lots at once..so that's also why it's hard to get out one piece at a time from him.

I heard from him last week and I'm supposed to have my 1:40 order on it's way now.

Dinomike

Thanks for the replies! I'd love to own one of Malcolm's models!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

stoneage

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 23, 2014, 03:25:18 PM
Malcolm is apparently still producing just taking him awhile to get stuff out ( 1 year plus and counting ) but he always comes through.  This isn't his regular job so he can only do it in his spare time. The fellow on ebay lives near him and buys big lots at once..so that's also why it's hard to get out one piece at a time from him.

I heard from him last week and I'm supposed to have my 1:40 order on it's way now.

Did he E-Mail you?

SBell

Quote from: stoneage on March 23, 2014, 06:45:17 PM

Did he E-Mail you?

I received an email last week, apparently my order is on its way soon or so.

As for those who aren't aware--FaunaCasts models are produced on demand after payment. And since it is a one-man-when-he-has-time operation, it can take quite a lot of patience before they arive.

Takama

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on March 23, 2014, 08:08:40 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 23, 2014, 12:50:14 PM
Quote from: Dinomike on March 23, 2014, 11:43:15 AM
It's out of production, afaik. There's a seller on eBay offering one, though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREHISTORIC-DINOSAUR-SUCHOMIMUS-RESIN-MODEL-KIT-Fauna-Casts-by-Malcolm-/231180266275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d36aeb23

Where did you get the info that it was out of production?
Because I can't find it for sale anywhere, not even on Dan's Dinosaurs.

Patrx

Malcolm only sells a few of his pieces via Dan's Dinosaurs, and the seller on Ebay buys them from Malcolm to sell at a higher price. Generally, the way to buy Fauna Casts models is to contact Malcolm directly via this forum, e-mail, or Facebook.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 23, 2014, 08:20:25 PM
Quote from: Takama on March 23, 2014, 08:08:40 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 23, 2014, 12:50:14 PM
Quote from: Dinomike on March 23, 2014, 11:43:15 AM
It's out of production, afaik. There's a seller on eBay offering one, though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREHISTORIC-DINOSAUR-SUCHOMIMUS-RESIN-MODEL-KIT-Fauna-Casts-by-Malcolm-/231180266275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d36aeb23

Where did you get the info that it was out of production?
Because I can't find it for sale anywhere, not even on Dan's Dinosaurs.

He doesn't work that way--these are pre-fabbed like other models. As long as he has the molds, they can theoretically be available. The one's at Dan's Dinos, etc, were a test to have someone else do the sales, etc, but contacting Malcolm is still the surest way. Again, it requires patience.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Patrx on March 23, 2014, 08:25:38 PM
Malcolm only sells a few of his pieces via Dan's Dinosaurs, and the seller on Ebay buys them from Malcolm to sell at a higher price. Generally, the way to buy Fauna Casts models is to contact Malcolm directly via this forum, e-mail, or Facebook.
Thank you for the clarification. I had assumed that the ones for sale on Dan's Dinosaurs were the only ones which were in production. I stand corrected :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stoneage on March 23, 2014, 06:45:17 PM

Did he E-Mail you?

No I contacted him on FB..but he has little internet time so it can take a week or so for a reply.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.