News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Posting images

Started by DinoToyForum, March 25, 2012, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on April 17, 2018, 12:12:07 PM
You did a great job  dr. Admin and saved a lot of lives, we can all say that.

Just a small addition - for , hopefully not, if ever there is a 3rd photo catastrophe :
Some of us had allready begun correcting those links on their own -
your 'replace' function caused all corrected blogs to show each photo twice -
At least, this is what happened on my Thread.
what made me go over and manualy delete the surplus pics.
but, there has to say, Deletion is a much faster method than rewriting -
so took me only 3 minutes...  ^-^

Ah, sorry about that. It's good to be aware of that side effect, thanks!

Reptilia

I've asked this a while back, but I didn't get any answer, so I try again. Maybe I'm just a bit stupid, but I can't post images anymore here, unless I upload them on some image hosting site myself. When I check for an image on Google search it doesn't give the direct link option anymore, there's only the chance to share it via various social media. So can anybody point me out how to get direct links to images instead of save and reupload everything on Postimage or similars?

Halichoeres

It's usually best to save it to your own image hosting account anyway, because image links in whatever site Google Images links to may or may not be stable. However, if you really want to just link it from wherever it's already hosted (which costs the host bandwidth), you can right click it (or command click on Mac) and choose "open image in new tab" or "view image" (depending on your browser). Then you should have the option of copying the image URL.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Thanks for replying Halichoeres, I'll give it a try again but I guess that the option to "view image" is not available anymore, hence the trouble. I'll see if I can get away with the "open image in new tab" option.

RobinGoodfellow

It's a never-ending-story with photo storage websites...  ::)
In May Flickr will be joining SmugMug because it won't be owned by Yahoo anymore:

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/04/20/together-smugmug-flickr/

SmugMug is telling that nothing will change with Flickr accounts but who knows...  ???

In the meantime I'm doing a full backup of my Flickr account.  :-\
I hope I wouldn't have to relink ALL pictures inside my thread on DTF.  >:(

Ictonyx

Sorry, couldn't find a thread that was obviously about this. When I try to post images I just get this:

Has anyone else had this / know how to get past it?

Ictonyx

Square brackets with 'img' written inside - it didn't even show up on the first message.

DinoToyForum

Put the image url (address) in between the square bracket code. Instructions here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

Let us know if you need a hand.

I'll merge this post with the main one as soon as I know you've seen it.

Ictonyx

DinoToyForum

No problem! Topics now merged. C:-)

Minmiminime

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 04, 2018, 08:59:15 AM
Put the image url (address) in between the square bracket code. Instructions here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

Let us know if you need a hand.

I'll merge this post with the main one as soon as I know you've seen it.

I'm doing this, I'm making sure I'm on a specific image and copying from the address bar, but it's not working. Is this some issue with Facebook? I don't have Flickr or anything like that. I've tried to set it up via my Android account and that also proved to be a dead end :-\
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Patrx

Quote from: Minmiminime on August 22, 2018, 07:32:30 PM
I'm doing this, I'm making sure I'm on a specific image and copying from the address bar, but it's not working. Is this some issue with Facebook? I don't have Flickr or anything like that. I've tried to set it up via my Android account and that also proved to be a dead end :-\
Hmm, it looks like your link is going to the whole album instead of the specific image. Have you tried right-clicking (or tapping and holding on mobile) and finding the option "copy image address" or "copy image location", and then pasting that into your post? If it's a Facebook image, the correct address should end in ".jpg". Hopefully that helps!

Minmiminime

avatar_Patrx @Patrx I'm wondering if it's because it's posted to a group rather than my general account🤔 Doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can't access them as stand-alone images. I'll keep at it. The "link sharing" thing I set up on Android was useless, but I may give it another go via my phone. I generally find it easier to use my iPad for stuff like this, simply because it's much bigger, but I'm perennially thwarted at every avenue at this stage😂
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Minmiminime on August 23, 2018, 08:28:13 AM
avatar_Patrx @Patrx I'm wondering if it's because it's posted to a group rather than my general account🤔 Doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can't access them as stand-alone images. I'll keep at it. The "link sharing" thing I set up on Android was useless, but I may give it another go via my phone. I generally find it easier to use my iPad for stuff like this, simply because it's much bigger, but I'm perennially thwarted at every avenue at this stage😂

Facebook isn't an image host so they aren't going to make it easy to find the image source files, they have no obligation to keep urls permanent (as many of us know from experience), and our ability to see images will depend on privacy settings and/or being a member of Facebook. What I'm saying is, don't use Facebook as an image host. Use Flickr and all your problems will be gone. :)

Minmiminime

Ah, I see! Thank you, Dr. Admin 😊 Right, that's it, I'm going Flickr!! 😈

IrritatorRaji

I would also highly recommend Imgur :) You don't need an account to use it, and you can upload images using the image URL's (meaning you don't have to save an image to your computer to upload it)

Imgur also has a little drop down in the upper right hand corner of images (cursor needs to be over image to make it appear), if you click it and select "Get share links" it will give you the option to copy the image URL with the BBCode already added

Minmiminime

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji Thank you! I've just signed up to Flickr and I'm finding it awkward, unintuitive and deeply, deeply uncooperative on both the desktop version and the app, so still having no joy in being able to share my pictures 😕

IrritatorRaji

Yeah, I find Flickr a little awkward to use as well (but hey at least it's not photobucket levels of frustrating)

Minmiminime

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji I never had the (dis)pleasure of using Photobucket and if it was even worse than Flickr seems to be, I didn't miss out 😂

ceratopsian

Quote from: Minmiminime on August 23, 2018, 12:26:28 PM
avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji Thank you! I've just signed up to Flickr and I'm finding it awkward, unintuitive and deeply, deeply uncooperative on both the desktop version and the app, so still having no joy in being able to share my pictures 😕

There is a knack to flickr.  Once you've mastered their way of working, it's quick.  Here's a former post I made:

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 22, 2018, 06:32:20 PM
I don't keep all my photos on Flickr as a matter of course.  So I upload the photos I intend to post onto the DTF.  This is very easy, as you can either "drop and drag" or select from their file on the computer.  The crucial step here that foxed me a couple of times is that merely selecting the photos doesn't complete the process - you must take the next step of "Upload [number] photos", which appears in the top right corner of the screen.   I make sure the setting is "public". 

I allocate them into an album if I'm being organised.  I name them or anything else I want to add as text. 

Then I click on the photo to view it full size.  Next I click  on the "Download this photo" icon in the bottom right corner.  I select "View all sizes" option.  Then from the sundry sizes that appear, I select "Medium 640", as that looks good on the DTF.  Then I right-click on the re-sized image and click on "Copy image address" (in Chrome - it's a slightly different wording in IE but pretty obvious).  Then I copy it into the correct place in my post (using the Control+V shortcut or the right-click menu Copy).

I don't pick up any text descriptions as others have described in earlier posts.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.