News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

General diorama contest discussion

Started by DinoToyForum, March 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Federreptil

Dear Admin - great news  :) I'm very happy to read this. I root for your success with the potential sponsor.

Lizerd

I just hope we can start before September as I won't have time for a contest as I drown in homework, but anyways good luck with the sponsor  :)
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Pachyrhinosaurus

I've been wondering about this myself. Happy to hear it's in the works.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Megalosaurus

Why do we need a sponsor?
Lets participate just for FUN!

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

acro-man

Yeah, having fun is all we need, and what I am here for!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Silvanusaurus

I for one would only be compelled to enter if it was assured that I would win a ridiculously large sum of filthy money.

Lizerd

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on May 23, 2019, 08:08:24 PM
I for one would only be compelled to enter if it was assured that I would win a ridiculously large sum of filthy money.
Your not alone in that boat
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Hynerpeton

I assume there is no contest this year of 2020?
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Hynerpeton on May 25, 2020, 07:20:39 AM

I've been mulling this over recently and have decided to skip it this year. I know we could go ahead under these unusual circumstances and travel restrictions but I don't think it would be right. I realise not everyone has to leave home or travel to create a diorama scene, but some people do, and I want to avoid encouraging that.

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 25, 2020, 10:54:13 AM

I've been mulling this over recently and have decided to skip it this year. I know we could go ahead under these unusual circumstances and travel restrictions but I don't think it would be right. I realise not everyone has to leave home or travel to create a diorama scene, but some people do, and I want to avoid encouraging that.

What about a diorama contest with a twist? It doesn't have to be an accurate diorama in a natural setting, it could be an indoor only contest. We've had unconventional entries in the past, the dinosaur tea party comes to mind. What if the contest required every entry to be unconventional in this way? I would hate to see the virus cancel another event that could just be altered instead. It would be a morale boost for a lot of people, I suspect. Just a thought.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gwangi on May 25, 2020, 01:34:33 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 25, 2020, 10:54:13 AM

What about a diorama contest with a twist? It doesn't have to be an accurate diorama in a natural setting, it could be an indoor only contest. We've had unconventional entries in the past, the dinosaur tea party comes to mind. What if the contest required every entry to be unconventional in this way? I would hate to see the virus cancel another event that could just be altered instead. It would be a morale boost for a lot of people, I suspect. Just a thought.
Perhaps "dinosaurs in the home" as a theme? That keeps it surprisingly open to different styles, everything from goofy posed dinosaurs doing human things, to dinosaurs positioned realistically as if they were pets or local wild animals, to collections displayed on shelves showing the setup of the shelving itself.

Crackington

I think Stargate and Gwangi have a good point. Yes, let's do it and have a clear rule "No pictures from outside your home!"

It would be something we could all do which is actually safe.

indohyus

I agree that a more unconventional contest could work wonders, give those of us bored at home something to do. Ultimately up to the powers that be, but a "dinos at home" diorama would be fun.

Libraraptor

Switching the Motto to something unconventional is a good idea.  Special circumstances require special measurements.  Dinosaurs at home Sounds Great to me and is in no way disrespectful.

DinoToyForum

Under the suggested "dinosaurs at home" theme, would traditional constructed dioramas still be fair game? Must the entries all be tongue in cheek?

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 25, 2020, 05:25:41 PM
Under the suggested "dinosaurs at home" theme, would traditional constructed dioramas still be fair game? Must the entries all be tongue in cheek?

On the one hand I would say they're fair game, because they would be constructed at home and fit the requirement of being at home. On the other hand that might give those entries an unfair advantage against the quirky entries so I'm inclined to think that they should ALL be tongue in cheek. A unique contest for these "unique" times we're living in. Or maybe forget pushing a quirky contest all together and just limit the rules to being indoor only and letting the creators decide? Much to think about and discuss.

Crackington

Keep it simple and just have a "must be indoors" rule. You never know, people may want to do a quirky diorama!

Neosodon

Obtaining the materials to make a traditional diorama may be even less safe than going to find a natural location to take a photo. I think postponing the contest until late fall may be the best option. I doubt most places will still be under quarantine by then.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Lanthanotus

Well, for a "serious" diorama you may need materials that you can either get in your backyard, a near park or a specialized shop that is most likely safer to visit than the supermarket that you rely on for your daily requirements. Personally I think, never`s been a better time for sch a contest, because a lot of people - though not necessarily in this forum - have more time at their hand then ever and often enough less ideas what to do with that time.

While I personally would welcome the idea to rule out outdoor shots, my motivation for that is, that a diorama by its very definition is someting artificially build up for some permanancy, rather than placing figures out in the garden or nature and take a shot (I myself do that with joy from time to time and also present the photos, but while those shots also require some thought and effort for prespective etc. it is still something vastly different in time and effort from building a diorama). I know a lot of people like those outdoor shots and there were always great shots among them, aswell as there are "lesser" dioramas - the simple way would maybe be to have different categories as it was in the 2017 contest (I think it was that year, not sure).

Gwangi

Quote from: Neosodon on May 25, 2020, 07:35:44 PM
Obtaining the materials to make a traditional diorama may be even less safe than going to find a natural location to take a photo. I think postponing the contest until late fall may be the best option. I doubt most places will still be under quarantine by then.

That thought occurred to me as well. But a line has to be drawn somewhere. I doubt the existence or lack thereof of a contest will change anyone's behavior, everyone knows they can just go online for supplies anyway. People are either acting responsibly, or they're not, and this doesn't change that nor do we need to babysit anyone. Keeping the contest going provides a nice distraction for the members here and I think that's where our concern should begin and end. I think now, more than ever is a great time to have a diorama contest. I think people are starting to look a little too deep into this. Just make the contest an indoor only contest and people can make their own choices from there.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.