News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

General diorama contest discussion

Started by DinoToyForum, March 05, 2014, 05:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridureyu

I seriously have no idea what to do, and it's not like people couldn't figure it out in five minutes because of the type of terrain and dropcloth.

Ridureyu

My actual entry is ready, except for the title.

Since I joked about this but decided not to do it... THIS IS NOT MY ENTRY:

Here is the Time Machine:

laticauda

Quote from: Ridureyu on August 15, 2014, 10:10:59 AM
My actual entry is ready, except for the title.

Since I joked about this but decided not to do it... THIS IS NOT MY ENTRY:

Here is the Time Machine:

Would have been a interesting entry! ;D

Hynerpeton

Don't hate me. But I don't think photoshop should be used.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Arul

brandem

Quote from: predino on October 02, 2014, 08:41:55 PM
Don't hate me. But I don't think photoshop should be used.
I think photoshop is ok, it doesn't always make a photo better, in fact, sometimes it does more harm than good, it's just another tool, If someone painted a beautiful backdrop or made their own pieces or used a hi end camera then they are also using tools other people don't have, and many of the contestants produced beautiful work without using any of that.

Hynerpeton

Reason i hate photoshop? People who use it always win. Those who do not loose. All the work for nothing. :( where photoshop is all computer.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Arul

I agree with brandem,its depend to our skill to use photosop or skill to take a pic with camera.the most important is this is diorama contest,not photography contest.photoshop help the contestant to improve their imagination,in fact the model of diorama is a miniature/toy.let them make their own creativity :D thank you for admin for allow us to use other stuff for improvitation :) Photoshop user not always win i think,btw in my count,there are only 5 winner from 17 winner who using photoshop from 2008 contest till 2013 contest (including joint position).

Dinomike

I think Photoshop is a great tool for adjusting some elements in your picture like removing wires etc. But the line between an okay amount of photoshopping and excessive use of it is very subtle. In many cases one shoul really consider how much to use it. Sometimes adjusting one's image may result in unrealistic colors etc. I personally prefer the dioramas whose authors have gone for creating original pieces with very little photoshopping. It is the amazement of realizing I'm actually looking at a well crafted diorama that gets my votes. It really is a challenge to get those small models to look believable in real world setting!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

tyrantqueen

Quote from: predino on October 03, 2014, 12:49:46 AM
Reason i hate photoshop? People who use it always win. Those who do not loose. All the work for nothing. :( where photoshop is all computer.
No, they don't. We have had entries in the past where little or no photoshop was used. Maybe it was used to touch up the lighting or something similar. But you don't necessarily need photoshop to do that. There are plenty of free programmes that can be used, and are easy enough to learn.

Here's Jeremy K's winning entry a few years back.

Very little photoshop used (if any). Just great photography.

Federreptil

The use of Photoshop or similar improvement tools in the diorama contest: I know this discussion from the last year.
I have used and will use photoshop for my attempts to come as close as possible to my imaginations. Sure, it's difficult to find the right use for this tool and like other craftsmanship it needs training and experience to do not to much. But for me it's another field like model making, customizing, building the landscapes and taking the photograph. Here are the potentials and skills of everyone very different. For example there are perfect models versus gaudy chinasaurs or great natural surroundings vs homemade finds and so on. In this competition are no absolute equal terms or you will get a very tight control equipment or countless categories. I like this contest because it's so open. There are so many possibilities of view what is a breathtaking diorama. Every year the difference of all entries has proved this. Like me everyone can try to find the right balance of all set screws for the personal best performance. But that's also true, no one must support this with his vote.

brandem

Idk TQ, I zoomed in and saw pixels,

Just kidding, no rotten tomatoes please

tyrantqueen

Quote from: brandem on October 03, 2014, 09:30:07 PM
Idk TQ, I zoomed in and saw pixels,

Just kidding, no rotten tomatoes please
I couldn't find a bigger photo :) Maybe he has a better one on his DeviantART account, I'm not sure.

Libraraptor

Quote from: predino on October 03, 2014, 12:49:46 AM

I love AC/DC music where no computer is being used and I love Fear Factory or Laibach, too, both bands with many, many synthesizers.
If photoshop is being used as an end in  itself, people will notice and won´t vote.
What makes a picture / diorama great - in my opnion -  is the right composition, the just right amount of moment - models - scientific accuracy - idea - and this can include photoshop  to support the intention/idea of the diorama, of course.
I didn´t use photoshop in my contribution, because I simply have no idea how to use it. But I am not envious of people who did, some of their dioramas probably being better than mine.
A nice woman looks great without makeup - and with the right makeup too.

DinoLord

As a voter I have a lot of respect for well-executed Photoshop dioramas - it's actually rather difficult to create one that doesn't look artificial.

Ikessauro

Quote from: ARUL on October 03, 2014, 05:16:37 AM
Photoshop user not always win i think,btw in my count,there are only 5 winner from 17 winner who using photoshop from 2008 contest till 2013 contest (including joint position).

I hope you're not talking about my diorama back from 2010. I won joint third place that year, but didn't use photoshop, just good old real fire.

Hynerpeton

Nope. That pic is cool. :) some i think over use it. I know we want perfect pics. But some go too far with it.
Walking With Monsers:

Arul

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 04, 2014, 04:56:17 AM
Quote from: ARUL on October 03, 2014, 05:16:37 AM
Photoshop user not always win i think,btw in my count,there are only 5 winner from 17 winner who using photoshop from 2008 contest till 2013 contest (including joint position).

I hope you're not talking about my diorama back from 2010. I won joint third place that year, but didn't use photoshop, just good old real fire.

Yep i know that's pure original photo,i like it hahaha the title is "mother nature did her job" right ?

Arul

Quote from: predino on October 04, 2014, 08:35:08 AM
some i think over use it. I know we want perfect pics. But some go too far with it.

Yeah i do think so..

DinoG

Dear fellow reincarnated dinosaurs, is there a page where I can check all the winners from past editions?
Run!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.