News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Paleo's new custom prehistoric mammals(Nov 4, 2014)

Started by paleoferroequine, November 03, 2014, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paleoferroequine

Here I am again, haven't shown for awhile, but I have been busy!
First up is
Megacerops kuwagatarhinus  1/35 scale made from Mojo Brontotherium. Lived in North America in late Eocene (38–33.9 mya). 3m tall. Enlarged the zygomatic arches(behind the eyes) which I did on all my brontothere conversions. Also reworked the horns and head position.

Titanotylopus nebraskensis   1/35 scale  endemic to North America from the Miocene through Pleistocene 10.3 mya—300,000 years ago.  Converted from Papo Bactrian camel. 3.5m tall

Indohyus major   1/9 scale. There is an unknown deer in here somewhere.  ::)
This is an extinct digitigrade artiodactyl known from Eocene fossils in Asia. About 18 inches (45cm) tall. It belongs to the raoellids(not to be confused with the Raelians :o) which may be a sister group to whales (Cetacea). However not all agree, some paleontologists place Indohyus with the group including the entelodonts and Andrewsarchus. Andrewsarchus itself is problematic since only a skull and a few fragments have been recovered and it's appearance is unknown.

Embolotherium grangeri   1/35 scale brontothere that lived in Mongolia during the late Eocene period. Mojo brontotherium. 3m in height.

I'm now showing some more brontotheres. Although they resemble rhinos, they're  a bit closer to horses. They lived around 56–34 million years ago, until the very close of the Eocene. The first two are from baby rhinos with a forth toe added and reworked heads.
Metatitan relictus   1/35 scale. Inner Mongolia late Eocene 1.5m tall

Telmatherium validus 1/35 scale. North America late Eocene. Almost identical Metatelmatherium lived in both N. America and  Inner Mongolia. About 1.25m tall

Aktautitan hippopotamopus  1/35 scale. From Kazakhstan late Eocene. Although it has short legs like Hippopotomus it most likely was not aquatic like Hippos. Made from Mojo Brontotherium 2.5m tall

Duchesneodus uintensis 1/35 scale. North America late Eocene. Made from Mojo tapir. Body reworked, new head. 1.75m tall.

Protitan grangeri  1/35 scale.  Inner Mongolia late Eocene. Schleich tapir with reworked back and new head. 2m tall.

I'll post more a bit later, hope you can enjoy them. :)

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Bokisaurus

Beautiful and impressive as always, love them all. I really like that deer creature ^-^

Manatee

They all look fantastic. You have a real talent for sculpting. However, I was under the impression that the main feature of Embolotherium was the large bony thing on its nose giving it its name; it appears to be absent on your custom. I know these are still just customized figures (and amazing ones, at that) rather than entirely new sculpts, but E. grangeri should have its main feature, don't you think?

Paleogene Pals

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Manatee on November 04, 2014, 12:10:05 AM
They all look fantastic. You have a real talent for sculpting. However, I was under the impression that the main feature of Embolotherium was the large bony thing on its nose giving it its name; it appears to be absent on your custom. I know these are still just customized figures (and amazing ones, at that) rather than entirely new sculpts, but E. grangeri should have its main feature, don't you think?

Thank you for the compliment. Old reconstructions did have just a bony horn showing but recent research has a completely different image.

http://research.amnh.org/paleontology/perissodactyl/evidence/research/ellison11

Mihlbachler's publication can be found at

http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/5913

paleoferroequine

Mystriosuchus planirostris  1/20 scale. It is an extinct genus of phytosaur that lived in the Late Triassic (middle Norian 215 mya) in Europe. Papo gharial with mods to head; moved nostrils to top of head moved eyes down and enhanced teeth. Also the tall vertical scutes along the tail were reduced to one row. I'm sure there are some things wrong in this conversion, but it looks the part. 4m long.

Rathalosaurus

Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Paleogene Pals

Awesome phytosaur! I have an Embolotherium from Paleoworld that has the projection reconstructed as a horn-like growth. If there is new thinking on this, maybe I should modify mine as well.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on November 04, 2014, 01:12:18 PM
Awesome phytosaur! I have an Embolotherium from Paleoworld that has the projection reconstructed as a horn-like growth. If there is new thinking on this, maybe I should modify mine as well.

The Paleoworld one isn't just a hornlike growth. It also is E.andrewsi not E.grangeri. It does have some flesh in front. There are different interpretations. This one is similar to the Paleoworld.

If you will notice here unlike the N.American brontotheres, E.andrewsi has a nasal groove in the front of the horn.Also at the top of the horn in front there is a small nasal process which indicates the top of the nasals.

Here is a related earlier species Protembolotherium in which the nasal process is much more pronounced.

Here's another Asian brontothere.
Rhinotitan andrewsi 1/35 scale. Inner Mongolian late Eocene brontothere. Made once again from Mojo Brontothere. 2.5m tall

And now Megacerops coloradensis 1/35 scale.  North America late Eocene. Modified Papo black rhino. 2.5m tall.