News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat anonymous

Started by laticauda, December 22, 2014, 10:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laticauda

Let me preface this by saying, I am not provoking an attack on Battat Terra Series, on sculpters, painters, toy makers, or collectors.

Hi, my name is Laticauda, and I find the Battat Terra line to be average.   Now before everyone starts throwing stuff at me and not letting me play in any reindeer games, let me explain.  I was out shopping with my wife, and she saw the new Battat Terra Dinosaurs and other assorted animals, and asked me, "Why are these so good?"  "They look cheap."  I tried to have a good answer for her, and I mumbled something like they aren't bad for the price.

But its true.  I don't think they are great.  I like some of them.  I have no ties to Battat from the 90's, and I am trying to look at this as unbiased as possible.  Not everybody likes the same things that I do and to each his/her own. I respect that and believe that.  But in my short time on the forum, I feel that if you mention negative things about Battat, you are looked at in bad way.  Which could make people be very choosy in their words, or go entirely quiet, because they don't want to be ostracized.  Yet, Safari, Schleich, CollectA, etc. negative comments happen because when it comes to those brands, there are Great, good, Average, and bad.  That is just the way of things, not everybody likes the same stuff.

I liked the Dacentrurus and Nanshiungosaurus from this years crop.  But even with my favorite two, they lacked a crisp quality about them.  It might just be the paint job that I don't like, but I look at the whole package.  I also wasn't a fan of every pose, they didn't feel very life like to me, but that is a personal choice.  Yes, I know they are not your high scale boutique dinosaur models.  So, now that I've worked the villagers into a frenzy, and you all come after me with pitchforks and torches let me ask you this question.  I think the forum members could give me some great personal insights on what you truly love, like, or not enjoy so much about the Battat Terra Series.  I do want to hear what all of you think.

DinoLord

Though I really like the Battats for their own merits, it must be acknowledged that a lot of the atmosphere surrounding them is due to the mystical lore of the original line. Some people just don't like them, and that's okay - that'll be true for any toy line, or even higher end items like Sideshow maquettes and resin kits.

Personally I really like the Battats, both old and new. The sculpts are almost always superb, and even the ones that aren't so (like the Stegosaurus) still look pretty damn good. The paint jobs are also nice. Though some may seem them as simplistic, I think there's a good match of simple, bold designs (like the Nanshiungosaurus) and more intricately patterned ones (like the Cryolophosaurus). I feel like the color schemes used also tend to work quite well, such as with the Triceratops and Cryolophosaurus. The latter is easily one of my favorite 2014 releases.

To be fair, the paint application is not always perfect, but I don't think that is true for any mass-produced toy. The only company I can think of that tends to be extremely consistent with paint details is Papo, but then their paint schemes aren't particularly vibrant or complex.

tyrantqueen

I think that's a fair enough opinion. There are some Battats I like and some I don't. I adored the 3rd Tyrannosaurus and the Diplodocus, but hated the Dilophosaurus. The Terra line has potential but I still think CollectA is better. But I would take Battat over Schleich any day.

I do not believe people should be looked down upon for not liking a certain brand. It feels like elitism to me. As long as you aren't unpleasant about it, you can be free to dislike or like whatever brand you want. Art is subjective after all.

tanystropheus

I never grew up with Battat and I lack the nostalgia lens. Battats are interesting to me in that they have this distinct look - the models have a retro vibe about them coupled with anatomical accuracy. They are scientifically sound, but the paint apps are a bit muddy. I think the main problem for me is that none of the Battat models approach the 'crispness' of the Diplodocus (even though that model was somewhat emaciated).

I appreciate the fact that the brand new Terra series is consistent in feel and quality with the legacy Battats. If Battats were to abruptly increase in quality, then they wouldn't be Battat. They would be something else. I love the Nanshiungosaurus; it sports a bird-like gaze and appears visually pleasant. The Pachyrhinosaurus is also amazing, especially due to the striking pose and colors (although, the colors aspect may serve as  double-edged sword in terms of appeal). And, the upcoming Gigantoraptor is probably the best representation in the market.

Schleichs are hit and miss (mostly miss), but they do possess the 2nd best use of textures, imo (Papo is number one...clearly). Admirable Schleich's include the Pentaceratops, the upcoming Kentrosaurus (possibly), Shonisaurus, Brontosaurus Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus. All their theropods are disasters (except, perhaps, the new T-rexes) but not as horrendous as their Mojo counterparts.

triceratops83

I too, lack the nostalgia lens. When I was a child, the only "real" Dinosaur figures I could (very occasionally) get a hold of were Carnegie and Invicta. Battat never existed here. I only discovered them in my pursuit of dino toy collector sites, and it was a shock to me that a set of near perfect for the time dinosaur figures existed during my childhood. I'd have gone nuts for them. So, they have been for me, something of a holy grail. Like Tyrantqueen said, not all of the sculpts are perfect, but in my opinion, most of them are. The only detractions for me are the rubbery material used, which seems to be different from the Terra line, and the molding process which leaves seams or flash. But I think in general the line is revered by most due to their naturalistic and mostly accurate sculpts, and the fact that there is a set scale. My own dinosaur collection would not have started if I had not gotten the Battat Triceratops first, it was that big of a deal for me. Although I'm not standing in your corner Laticauda, I can see where you are coming from, and I appreciate the courage it took to stand out from the perceived crowd. It's gotta be said though, that all dinosaur figure lines will be compared to the original trendsetters Invicta, Carnegie and Battat. I think these three brands, each the best in their turn, paved the way for the high quality toys we are now getting yearly.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

sauroid

imagine Dan LoRusso's sculpts but painted and manufactured differently (not in the tradition of the old Battat/Batta Terra). now that would be just perfect.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoLord

Quote from: sauroid on December 23, 2014, 04:05:39 AM
imagine Dan LoRusso's sculpts but painted and manufactured differently (not in the tradition of the old Battat/Batta Terra). now that would be just perfect.
As an owner of a Battat master resin and Dinosaur Studio resin piece, Dan and Greg's sculpts take on a whole new level in resin form. Though they are awesome sculpts, the whole toy casting process does unfortunately lose some detail.

Dinomike

I got to know the Battat line some twenty years after its original release.  Now I have six of them - two from the new Terra series.  I fell in love with them despite them being old or a bit rubbery. The sheer awesomeness of the sculptures was the thing for me. I'm not so fond of the paint job on the new Pachyrhinosaurus but now that it's rather cheap it will make a great subject to repaint. I've already seen great repaints that really bring the best out of it. Sure - Papo detailing and Battat accuracy would be a match made in heaven but until then I'll be happy with these! :)
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

amargasaurus cazaui

Probably quite accurate stating that everyone has a right to their own feelings and opinions regarding toy dinosaurs. I , myself wont purchase Schleich's or Papo toys for instance....everyone has their likes and dislikes and priorities for their collection.
  One thing some might have missed in the discussions is the matter of Dan's health and ability to sculpt or do smaller detail. I may be wrong or have misunderstood, but I did feel he mentioned he has to take chemo shots just to keep his hand steady enough to work in the scale he is using for the Terra line . If I got it wrong I apologize but I am almost certain I read something to this effect, coupled with the fact his back is apparently a slipped disc mess. Given that circumstance I tend to allow a little leeway for the detail level at its finest....im just delighted we are able to again purchase his sculpts in fresh species .I cannot sculpt a dinosaur myself, and i can only imagine how hard it would be to do so with that many issues bogging you down .
   Another factor i consider is price....these dinosaurs were made for the mass market as toys and seem to run around 7-8 dollars a piece.........a trip to Mcdonalds for a decent size meal costs that anymore. These figures are being offered at a price range designed to move them off the shelves, and yet offer accuracy, playability and affordability. If you improve the paint, or make the sculpts more detailed or this or that...that all comes with a price. Hard to complain at the current cost per figure , given the amount of accuracy and detail being offered.
  My take on the old Battats is ...I get them if I can, but I refuse to pay exhorbitant prices for any of them. Just rather sink that money into having a sauropod tooth, or duckbill jawbone, rather than a mass produced toy, no matter how rare.I do have a good piece of the set already...and do own a single Battat Master resin Amargasaurus myself.
Have to say it is well done, nicely detailed and a beautiful piece too. I am excited for the upcoming Gigantraptor, and for the soon to be created Plateosaurus, a figure I have championed since the discussion began.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Manatee

Well said, Amargasaurus. I personally am a very big fan of Battats when they are very well made, even though I lack the nostalgia for the MOS line; my Parasaurolophus is easily one of my favorite figures I own so far, as the sculpting and accuracy are outstanding. On the other hand, however, sculpts like the Dilo and the infamous eight-spiked Stegosaurus will not be entering my shelves any time soon. Like several other people mentioned before, it is, in my opinion, ridiculous to ostracize or look down upon someone simply for not liking a certain manufacturer of models. I personally haven't come across anyone that has looked down upon someone in my time here, yet I'm sure it happens. "Discriminating against someone for not liking a toy brand" sounds quite silly when put into that context, doesn't it?

Also, I really hope the Plateosaurus is in a bipedal position holding its body horizontally. We really need one; not trying to sound too picky though.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Manatee on December 23, 2014, 02:19:02 PM
Well said, Amargasaurus. I personally am a very big fan of Battats when they are very well made, even though I lack the nostalgia for the MOS line; my Parasaurolophus is easily one of my favorite figures I own so far, as the sculpting and accuracy are outstanding. On the other hand, however, sculpts like the Dilo and the infamous eight-spiked Stegosaurus will not be entering my shelves any time soon. Like several other people mentioned before, it is, in my opinion, ridiculous to ostracize or look down upon someone simply for not liking a certain manufacturer of models. I personally haven't come across anyone that has looked down upon someone in my time here, yet I'm sure it happens. "Discriminating against someone for not liking a toy brand" sounds quite silly when put into that context, doesn't it?

Also, I really hope the Plateosaurus is in a bipedal position holding its body horizontally. We really need one; not trying to sound too picky though.
I won't mention names but I felt as though I was looked down upon for not liking Invicta dinosaurs. I just don't like the sculpting style, never did.

There are actually lots of old dinosaur toys I really like. The old Marxes for example. I like some of the really old ('80s) Kaiyodos and I would love to have them in my collection. I like the old tail draggers. So yeah...another man's trash is another man's treasure.

triceratops83

I don't think you have anything to worry about Laticauda, the only reindeer games I know of involve antlers. You try and get in on that without them it hurts like hell, let me tell you.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 23, 2014, 02:28:30 PM

I won't mention names but I felt as though I was looked down upon for not liking Invicta dinosaurs. I just don't like the sculpting style, never did.

There are actually lots of old dinosaur toys I really like. The old Marxes for example. I like some of the really old ('80s) Kaiyodos and I would love to have them in my collection. I like the old tail draggers. So yeah...another man's trash is another man's treasure.
I don't really like all the Invictas either; especially most of the sauropods, all the theropods, and some other various ones.

triceratops83

I do like the Invictas, but can understand why one wouldn't. One thing that sticks out to me is that although they are finely detailed they still fudge things like individual toes for the theropods. Would be interested to hear reasons for the dislike of Invicta, I don't see an enormous difference between them and the Marx Dinosaurs.

Manatee

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 23, 2014, 03:07:38 PM
I do like the Invictas, but can understand why one wouldn't. One thing that sticks out to me is that although they are finely detailed they still fudge things like individual toes for the theropods. Would be interested to hear reasons for the dislike of Invicta, I don't see an enormous difference between them and the Marx Dinosaurs.
Two words: tail drag. I really like some Invictas though from their online images, like the Lambeo, Liopleurodon, and Cetiosaurus.
I don't like Marx either. I am generally anti-retrosaur for accuracy reasons.

laticauda

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 23, 2014, 02:28:30 PM

I am not saying that I see it alot, as I find this is a great forum, with amazing people with diverse backgrounds and interests.  Unfortunalty I have seen it.  I agree that it probaly does stem from the mythos of the Battat line.  I have never heard of anyone being looked down at for not liking the Invicta's, I guess it can happen with every toy line. 

As for the tail Draggers, some of them are quite endering, and I agree, what one person doesn't like, is another persons Mona Lisa.

Thanks again for everyones opinions. :)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Manatee on December 23, 2014, 03:31:17 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on December 23, 2014, 03:07:38 PM
Two words: tail drag. I really like some Invictas though from their online images, like the Lambeo, Liopleurodon, and Cetiosaurus.
I don't like Marx either. I don't know why, but I am generally anti-retrosaur for accuracy reasons.
Just to toss this aspect into perspective..not sure your age Manatee, but the Marx figures were begun if I remember correctly as far back as the early fifties if not late forties. At the time they were released they were accurate as a set of plastic toy dinosaurs might be expected to be. When you consider the last of the new species from Marx were released in the seventies, that means they would be roughly 45 years old give or take, and these would be the latest released.  In the period they were produced these were your choices.....The large hollow sandbox dinosaurs from Tootsie toys, the small bags of plastic dinosaurs from Timmeee or some other such small company, the large snap together prehistoric scenese from Aurora and a small handful of styrene models from the likes of Airfix etc. There were many other odds and ends dinosaur figures out there being produced, but not as well distributed.
     In that generation we had what were called Dimestores. You could walk into a store, and purchase a bag of goldfish, get a pair of shoes, sit and eat at the counter, and shop for toys in the toys area. Ours had glass shelves for the toys, and there were bins of the hollow sandbox toys. Sitting on the shelves were the various Marx playsets you could purchase. I remember my eyes always went to the hang pegs, where there were blister cards, with various Marx dinosaurs offered, as small sets. I still remember the day we bought the large size card for me that contained Brontosaurus, Trachodon, Anklyosaurus and the slender Tyrannosaurus and a triceratops as well. They were in the waxy light green and I own that set to this day. I was perhaps five then, and the best , the most amazingly real dinosaurs i had to choose, the ultimate to have, were the Marx ones. That would have been in 1968 or so....so when you call Marx figures retrosaurs, they earned it fairly at a time when there was nothing in the store to compete with them .
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 23, 2014, 04:18:30 PM
Just to toss this aspect into perspective..not sure your age Manatee, but the Marx figures were begun if I remember correctly as far back as the early fifties if not late forties. At the time they were released they were accurate as a set of plastic toy dinosaurs might be expected to be.
Even for someone like me, having grown up in the eighties, most dinosaur reconstructions in books, films whatever portrayed them in the typical "retro" style. So taildraggers are probably more tolerable to those of us born before the nineties. In fact, I have to make a confession - as far as Theropods are concerned, I actually like figures that portray them as tail dragging tripods.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 23, 2014, 04:27:51 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 23, 2014, 04:18:30 PM
Just to toss this aspect into perspective..not sure your age Manatee, but the Marx figures were begun if I remember correctly as far back as the early fifties if not late forties. At the time they were released they were accurate as a set of plastic toy dinosaurs might be expected to be.
Even for someone like me, having grown up in the eighties, most dinosaur reconstructions in books, films whatever portrayed them in the typical "retro" style. So taildraggers are probably more tolerable to those of us born before the nineties. In fact, I have to make a confession - as far as Theropods are concerned, I actually like figures that portray them as tail dragging tripods.

Your not the only one. I know they aren't accurate, but retro for retro's sake is pretty cool. I was born in 82' and most of the books and videos still did have the upright theropods, the huge lumbering sauropods..some part of that cool factor rubbed off on me for sure.

DC

Name recognition, both for Battat and Dan L. certainly gives the Terra line cache for Collectors.  I would compare it to the Salas line also developed by well known resin artist.  Battat MOS was a turning point in the figure market.  The short life of the series created a lingering what could they have done next legend.  Alternately they are in effect a new line product line, in a distribution sense and content sense, and from that perspective full of potential and possibility.  You cannot say that Dan's figure are just another version of existing lines.  This is a new, original artist vision.  No vision connects with all customers.   I admit to wanting to see more.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: