News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My Stuff

Started by Geemfive, January 03, 2015, 09:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geemfive

Hi

I'm Tom and I'm from Germany.
Just recently, I developed an interest for dinosaur figures. Not from a scientific approach but for the sake of collecting and customizing small modells of them.
I have been doing modelling most of my life, from model trains over RC models to miniature figurines such as tabletop fantasy figures.

So a while ago i discovered dinosaurs and have been hooked ever since.

Since the selection of models isn't as big here in Germany as ist is in the US, I'm stuck with the models I can get here. Those are mainly the toy lines of Schleich, Papo amd such.
But I was able to aquire some Tamiya Diorama kits from ebay auctions which I still have to build. I also ordered two Pegasus kits from the US that I have glued together over Christmas but not completed yet.

Even though many of the toy lines one can buy are nicely painted ( such as Papo), I'm not always satisfied with them. So I decided to give it a go and repaint some of them.
I have to admit though, that is not the easiest of tasks since it's hard for me to decide what coloration works best on this or that figure. So I have read a lot in this and in the old forum to find examples that fit my bill.

Here is my first repainted model. As you can see, it's the Papo Triceratops. I already had one when I was able to get a used one for little money on ebay so I decided to make this my first repaint. While doing some research I found a Trike painted by the ingenious Martin Garratt an took it as an example for my approach.

I hope, you like my first repaint as much as I do...  :)

... and here a comparison to the original Papo Triceratops

DinoToyForum

Welcome!

Great work, the Triceratops is a great improvement over the original. It is a great figure for picking up details :)

SpittersForEver

It looks amazing, what paints did you use?

sauroid

your repaint looks great! hope to see more of your work
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

Wow, what that figure should have looked like!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Geemfive

Quote from: SpittersForEver on January 03, 2015, 10:33:27 AM

Thanks for the multiple praise.  :)

I use acrylics from Vallejo. No airbrush, just drybrushing and washes.

Tom

Arul

Hello and welcome  :D you must be know federreptil  :)

Roselaar

Wow, that is one excellent custom! It makes the rather dull Papo Trike look that much more appealing. :)

tyrantqueen

SpittersForEver

Quote from: Geemfive on January 03, 2015, 11:38:04 AM
Quote from: SpittersForEver on January 03, 2015, 10:33:27 AM

Thanks for the multiple praise.  :)

I use acrylics from Vallejo. No airbrush, just drybrushing and washes.

Tom

Thank you  :)

DinoLord

Very nice; you turned a very dull figure into a vibrant one.

Federreptil

Yes Arul, I know Geemfive,
because he contacted me before his first repaint of the Triceratops.

So, Tom, I'm glad you join us here and more people can see your fantastic first attempt. You deserve a bigger stage for this work. And I'm sure here you can get some clues and more infos that I never needed before for painting my horn horde.

postsaurischian

:D Excellent paintjob! I love it.

Geemfive

I promised you some more pics, so here they are...

This time, I repainted an Apatosaurus by Wild Safari. I kinda liked the shape of it, but the coloring was too basic in my opinion.
I decided to go with the color scheme used for the big Apatosaurus by Sideshow.

Here is what it looks like originally:

And this is my attempt:

I hope you like it.  :)

At the moment I'm working on my second Triceratops, which should be finished by tomorrow. So stay tuned... .

Geemfive

In the meantime, some images of other stuff I had been doing lately.

Actually I'm more interested in building little dioramas or bases for my figures, so if I like the way they come, I see no reason for repainting them and put them directly on display.

This ist a little diorama I made for the new feathered T-Rex juveniles by ColectA:

And here one of my favorite models, the big Styracosaurus by X-Plus. I was happy to get one from the States, so I just had to make a nice base for it:

I'm not really happy with the little ferns which are just too small... so I'm hoping to find bigger ones to replace them soon.

In case you're interested, the base is made of polyurethane foam, the roots are real roots from a dead Bonsai tree.

Here you can see the work in progress:

Enjoy!  :)

Arul

Very stunning thumbs up   :D  :) just realise it, x-plus figure is good  :o

DinoLord

Awesome work. How did you straighten the tail on the WS Apatosaurus?

kreativtek

What an amazing Apatosaurus. I would love to have such a beautiful model in my collection. Great job, Geemfive!

Megalosaurus

The X-Plus looks great with your base.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

tyrantqueen

I really like the Tyrannosaurus diorama.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: