News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 figures polls - guidelines & poll ideas

Started by DinoToyForum, January 26, 2015, 09:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Here are a few quick guidelines for the creation and management of 'top 10 figures' polls, which are cropping up on the forum.

1. Top 10 polls should be restricted to three active polls at any one time. By active, I mean that a winners video has not yet been created (the poll will remain open indefinitely so that new figures can be added and people can change their votes in the future).

2. The thread creator is responsible for organising and suggesting the original shortlist and, eventually, for setting up the poll. They should only set up the thread if they are willing to take on this responsibility.

3. Before setting up the poll, allow for members to make suggestions in the thread. Once the shortlist is agreed, after a week or so, the poll should be added to the same thread.

4. This current thread is the best place to discuss what top 10 polls will be appropriate for the future (unless this happens organically somewhere else on the forum) and to agree who takes responsibility for each poll. We don't want polls to be too restricted or too broad. This will depend on how many figures exist for certain groups.

5. Polls should contain at least 10 figures and be set to allow 10 options to be selected.

6. To level the playing field, polls (and thread titles) should distinguish between toys (on one hand) and statues (on the other).

7. I will create the winners videos and add them to this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG7kvS_UjKVgDGwc6jHHvMd-vIvXsIj2G

amargasaurus cazaui

I thought to add and thanks very much for the hard work and effort Mr Gwangi for the theropods poll, and for acting on my ...suggestion for a basal ceratopsians thread. I like how you did that first one and think you deserve some praise for that.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 26, 2015, 09:57:19 AM
I thought to add and thanks very much for the hard work and effort Mr Gwangi for the theropods poll, and for acting on my ...suggestion for a basal ceratopsians thread. I like how you did that first one and think you deserve some praise for that.

I second that! Thanks Gwangi!

Gwangi

You're welcome!  8) I like to think those are the same rules I applied to my T. rex poll. And you won't see me creating multiple polls at the same time. I only went ahead with the basal ceratopsian poll because the T. rex poll seems to be in its final stages.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on January 26, 2015, 05:15:49 PM
You're welcome!  8) I like to think those are the same rules I applied to my T. rex poll. And you won't see me creating multiple polls at the same time. I only went ahead with the basal ceratopsian poll because the T. rex poll seems to be in its final stages.

Yes, I based the guidelines on your rex poll. Since this 'top 10' is becoming a 'thing' I want to make sure we are 1. consistent, and 2. in control. We don't want too many polls at one time because it would be messy and unmanageable (at least for me to create the winners videos!).

I think it will be nice for the forum to focus properly on one or two groups at a time :)

Hope everyone agrees!

DinoToyForum

I'm adding another guide line: To level the playing field, polls (and thread titles) should distinguish between toys (on one hand) and statues (on the other).

Pachyrhinosaurus

Would it be a good idea to make a subforum for top ten figures? It looks like there will be a lot of these and they would look nicer in one place.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 26, 2015, 09:59:40 PM
Would it be a good idea to make a subforum for top ten figures? It looks like there will be a lot of these and they would look nicer in one place.

That's a good idea! If the trend continues then certainly a sub forum would be worthwhile :)

amargasaurus cazaui

I am fond of the "discovery period" method we are using here...where people can submit the canidates regardless if they make the grade or no...because for me it helps discover lesser known figures of the genera and what to look for to complete my own collection. In addition I felt some of the earlier attempts at polls in the forum suffered from the idea of ....here are the choices, choose from this. It seemed more like we were being asked to reinforce someone else's concepts or ideas, whereas here we can bring it all to the table and let it sort itself. Just a much ...more embracing method I feel.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

I closed the pterosaur poll because it wasn't being updated by the thread starter. If someone else wants to take over they are very welcome, let me know and we can work out how to do it without losing the discussion from the first thread.

Also, I'm thinking of starting a new poll myself. Either Plesiosauria as a whole, or splitting the group up into two polls, for pliosaurs and plesiosauroids respectively. What do you reckon?

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on February 28, 2015, 04:54:34 PM
I closed the pterosaur poll because it wasn't being updated by the thread starter. If someone else wants to take over they are very welcome, let me know and we can work out how to do it without losing the discussion from the first thread.

Also, I'm thinking of starting a new poll myself. Either Plesiosauria as a whole, or splitting the group up into two polls, for pliosaurs and plesiosauroids respectively. What do you reckon?

Personally, I would split them up. I think there are probably enough toys of each to make for two separate but lengthy polls. Of course you would know more about that than I!  :)
I'm trying to figure out my next poll as well, leaning towards hadrosaurs/ornithopods or Stegosaurus.

sauroid

is it alright to make suggestions for future polls? someone should start a top ten Triceratops poll. (who else would handle this excellently than Triceratops83!  ;) )
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Yep, this is the thread where we discuss just that, and also decide who will be responsible for the polls. Otherwise what happened with the pterosaur top 10 might happen again. :) I may create a separate top 10s sub forum...

stargatedalek

Well my idea of top ten extinct birds (and close to birds) seems to have not garnished much interest, so I can take over the pterosaur poll if anyone wants to continue with it?

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 28, 2015, 07:46:35 PM
Well my idea of top ten extinct birds (and close to birds) seems to have not garnished much interest, so I can take over the pterosaur poll if anyone wants to continue with it?

I don't think you should give up on that poll just yet. I think it suffers from the same lack of interest as the basal ceratopsian poll I created. I think once you get the poll up you'll see the activity increase, at least enough to formulate a top ten.

Takama

I was thinking of starting a poll for Non Tyrannosaurus Rex Tyrannosaur Toys.

EXample Guanlong, Albertosaurus, Daspleatosaurus, Megaraptor

stargatedalek

Quote from: Gwangi on February 28, 2015, 08:50:35 PM
I don't think you should give up on that poll just yet. I think it suffers from the same lack of interest as the basal ceratopsian poll I created. I think once you get the poll up you'll see the activity increase, at least enough to formulate a top ten.
I wasn't giving up, I just meant with fairly low activity I had the opportunity to also work on the pterosaur one ;)

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

It seems unusual but I can't seem so find a best of 2015 poll? If there isn't one, would someone like to set one up?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.