News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

My Little Dinosaur

Started by antorbitalfenestrae, May 21, 2016, 03:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antorbitalfenestrae

Anyone heard of these? Apparently made by Tyco's Playtime Products in 1992 in an attempt to replace Hasbro's MLP toys.

Flaffy

Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 21, 2016, 03:44:47 AM
Anyone heard of these? Apparently made by Tyco's Playtime Products in 1992 in an attempt to replace Hasbro's MLP toys.

What Are Thoooooose?!  :o

Archinto

Now THAT is wild! I don't remember seeing these growing up, and trust me, I'd have noticed them LOL, being both a dinosaur and vintage mlp collector.... :p
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Silvanusaurus

These are quite literally the worst things I have ever seen.

Sim

I'd never heard of those before!  Also thanks to this forum I know My Little Pony made a dinosaur called Cutesaurus.

irimali

Finally!  All my life I've been looking for a set of monster drag queen embryos.

Halichoeres

Hilarious. Jenny reminds me of my aunt in Tennessee.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

QuoteThese are quite literally the worst things I have ever seen.
Meh, they're not all that bad. Very G1 My Little Pony esque. I wouldn't buy them, but they're not bad for little girls to play with.

Nanuqsaurus

Please put a warning in the title of this post, this can be harmful to anyone with eyes. :P

terrorchicken

those sauropods with the big red lips... :o

Lanthanotus

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 21, 2016, 06:30:45 PM
Meh, they're not all that bad. Very G1 My Little Pony esque. I wouldn't buy them, but they're not bad for little girls to play with.

What about for little boys? 

Flaffy

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on May 22, 2016, 09:59:21 AM

Jurassic Park!! ;D When was the "My little Dinosaur" line released?

Viergacht

Sans the hair and lipstick, they're actually pretty cute.

tyrantqueen

Uh....yeah, sure. If you like.

antorbitalfenestrae

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 22, 2016, 07:51:05 PM

Yeah how about we don't start stereotyping toy preferences based on gender. :/ (thanks Silvanusaurus)

Silvanusaurus

I was just trying to make a joking comment upon how appalling the gender stereotyping seen in these toys actually is, I think it's a deeply upsetting aspect of modern culture, but you are right that this is not the place to discuss it.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: antorbitalfenestrae on May 22, 2016, 10:02:10 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 22, 2016, 07:51:05 PM

Yeah how about we don't start stereotyping toy preferences based on gender. :/ (thanks Silvanusaurus)

It's a stereotype that is firmly rooted in human evolution. We know that boys and girls gravitate to certain kinds of toys. I don't have an issue with a little boy wanting to play with a girl's toy, but I think the marketing of gendered toys is perfectly acceptable. By the way, even monkeys show a preference for gendered toys.

QuoteI was just trying to make a joking comment upon how appalling the gender stereotyping seen in these toys actually is, I think it's a deeply upsetting aspect of modern culture, but you are right that this is not the place to discuss it.

Not so fast. If you didn't want to start a debate, you shouldn't have said anything. You don't get to start something then have the last word by closing the debate, that's not fair.

It's not an aspect of modern culture either, it's part of human evolution, as I mentioned above. Gender stereotypes exist because they are needed for human society to function.

antorbitalfenestrae

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 22, 2016, 10:46:28 PM

It's a stereotype that is firmly rooted in human evolution. We know that boys and girls gravitate to certain kinds of toys. I don't have an issue with a little boy wanting to play with a girl's toy, but I think the marketing of gendered toys is perfectly acceptable. By the way, even monkeys show a preference for gendered toys.

QuoteI was just trying to make a joking comment upon how appalling the gender stereotyping seen in these toys actually is, I think it's a deeply upsetting aspect of modern culture, but you are right that this is not the place to discuss it.

Not so fast. If you didn't want to start a debate, you shouldn't have said anything. You don't get to start something then have the last word by closing the debate, that's not fair.

a) just because something is "rooted in evolution" (which it's not, there is nothing to support the idea that men and women's brains are fundamentally different) doesn't mean that an entire cultural thing, that is deeply harmful to more than half the population, can or should come out of it.

b) if you want to point fingers, I don't think anyone else wanted to actually start a debate, but let's not get into that

c) I would be glad to discuss this further either privately or in a different thread but, like Silvanusaurus said, this isn't the place for it. i just wanted to share this picture, not get into an argument about gendered toys, as important as the issue is.

tyrantqueen

Quotea) just because something is "rooted in evolution" (which it's not, there is nothing to support the idea that men and women's brains are fundamentally different) doesn't mean that an entire cultural thing, that is deeply harmful to more than half the population, can or should come out of it.

But men and women's brains ARE different. There's plenty of research to indicate that.

Women have a larger corpus callosum for example. Men have overall bigger brains too.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.