Author Topic: Jose's Dinosaur sculpts and repaints  (Read 9615 times)

Bokisaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Devonian survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Amargasaurus
Re: Jose's Dinosaur sculpts and repaints
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2019, 06:41:56 PM »
Here's Aquilops! it's a small sculpt, I don't know why it took me so long to finish it, probably a bit of a uninspired streak, but it's here now, I don't really love it and it can't stand on it's own but it deserves some love at least from it's creator  ;D :P
[

This poor guy sufferd from lots of accidents, it lost a finger, a feet and one of it's cheek horns before finishing it, at the time of the photos is still missing the finger actually.

Aww, it's adorable! How big is not? Looks small, which makes it even more challenging to sculpt. I like it a lot, good muscle definitions on the body and legs. Keep it up, so much improvement with each new sculpt.

Jose S.M.

• Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Ceratopsids
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2019, 06:51:23 PM »
Thanks Boki! I don't remember exactly it's length (I measured it when I baked it about two weeks ago) but it's smaller than Safari's Psittacosaurus.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:00:25 PM by Jose S.M. »

Jose S.M.

• Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2019, 02:59:36 PM »
I wasn't very pleased with this one but still I'm showing it. It was an experiment/attempt to save  something out of a destroyed figure to see if some clay I have sticks to figures. The first result of the sticking test tells me that the clay stays put if left undisturbed, but minimal pressure will make the part (horns in my test) fall. After that I decided to apply clay all over the figure because it was too damaged and adding clay on large parts created differences of texture that I didn't like so this is the result, Spinops:

The right front leg looks stiff and it's weirdly posed and has other problems but I wanted to see it painted and move on to the next experiment hehe.

Halichoeres

• Social media team
  • Ultimate survivor
  • Ichthyologist, illustrator, urbanist
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Santanichthys
« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2019, 04:07:40 AM »
I once tried adding clay to a figure and it turned out much worse than this!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My collection: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.0

My trade/sale/wishlist thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3299.0

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/bookhuntingtim6o9c/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Bokisaurus

• Global Moderator
  • Devonian survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Amargasaurus
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2019, 06:28:29 PM »
I wasn't very pleased with this one but still I'm showing it. It was an experiment/attempt to save  something out of a destroyed figure to see if some clay I have sticks to figures. The first result of the sticking test tells me that the clay stays put if left undisturbed, but minimal pressure will make the part (horns in my test) fall. After that I decided to apply clay all over the figure because it was too damaged and adding clay on large parts created differences of texture that I didn't like so this is the result, Spinops:

The right front leg looks stiff and it's weirdly posed and has other problems but I wanted to see it painted and move on to the next experiment hehe.

Aww, I like this one a lot, it got lots of personality on the head. So what exactly was this originally? Was it one of yours? Is this durable enough?
I say you should make a new one since this is so awesome, I really like the head sculpt, it captures the animal it represents.

Jose S.M.

• Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2019, 07:18:50 PM »
Thanks Boki! This was the older Safari Styracosaurus, I had it on my bookshelf since I was running out of space so I took the few duplicates I have there. Someone probably thought it wasn't part of the main collection and gave it to my nephew and took it outside so it got chewed by something, most likely a dog. That way it looks kind of leaning to the front because the original had a foot raised and now has all fours on the ground.

It's made of the same clay that some of my other sculpts like the Leptoceratops and Othnieliosaurus so I guess it's durable like those.

Jose S.M.

• Carboniferous survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
I made some "customizations" (just some spikes adjustments actually) to two of my ceratopsians: first I changed the Favorite Styracosaurus spikes to make it look like a Rubeosaurus. I think I could have made the top spikes tips to be closer.

Then, as much as I loved the beautiful Safari 2019 Styracosaurus, I couldn't ignore the warping of the spikes because when looking at on my shelf it didn't stand out as I think it would have with properly oriented spikes. I was really afraid of ruining the sculpt but after the realtive success of the Rubeo conversion I got brave and did it, new spikes for Styraco:

I this changes look nice, I'm quite pleased with the Rubeosaurus but the Styracosaurus made me so nervous. They aren't perfectly smooth in shape but I think in reality this kind of structures are not always perfect either.

Shonisaurus

• Ultimate survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
@Jose S.M. Jose you have done some small works of art in relation to Favorite styracosaurus you are doing a great job.