News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Wild Safari models until 2017 [Complete]

Started by Takama, December 13, 2016, 06:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top Ten Wild Safari Models By Safari LTD

Acrocanthosaurus
Allosaurus Infant
Allosaurus Version one
Allosaurus Version 2
Amonite
 Andrewsarchus
Apatosaurus (Version 1)
Apatosaurus (Version 2)
Archaeopteryx
Arsinoetherium  
Brachiosaurus (version 1)
Brachiosaurus (Version 2)
C. megalodon
Carcharodontosaurus (Version 1)
Carcharodontosaurus (Version 2)
Ceratosaurus (Version 1)
Ceratosaurus (Version 2)
Coelacanth
Coelophysis
Deinochirus
Diabloceratops
Dilophosaurus
Dimorphodon
Diplodocus
Doedicurus
Dracorex
Dunkleosteus
Edmontosaurus
 Einiosaurus
 Elasmosaurus
Gastornis
Giant Sloth
Giganotosaurus
Gorgosaurus
Gryposaurus
Guanlong
Hypacrosaurus
Iguanodon
Inostrancevia
Kaprosuchus
Kentrosaurus
Kronosaurus
Leptoceratops
Liopleurodon
Masiakasaurus
Microraptor
Monolophosaurus
Mosasaurus
Nasutoceratops
Nigersaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachyrhinosaurus
 Parasarolophus Infant
Parasaurolophus
 Parasaurolophus Version 2
Plesiosuchus
Postosuchus
Psitaccosaurus
 Pteranodon Infant
Pteranodon
 Pterosaur (unspecified Genus)
 Quetzalcoatlus
Rhamphorhynchus
Sauropelta
Scutosaurus
 Shunosaurus
Smilodon cub
Smilodon
Spinosaurus Infant
Spinosaurus
Stegosaurus Infant
Stegosaurus (Version 1)
Stegosaurus (Version 2)
Styracosaurus
Suchomimus (Version 1)
Suchomimus (Version 2)
Tupejara
Triceratops Infant
Triceratops (Version 1)
Triceratops (Version 2)
Tylosaurus
Tyrannosaurus Infant
Tyrannosaurus Juvenile
Tyrannosaurus (Version 1)
Tyrannosaurus (Version 2)
Tyrannosaurus (Version 3)
Tyrannosaurus (Version 4)
Utahraptor Infant
Utahraptor
Velociraptor (Version 1)
Velociraptor (Version 2)
Woolly Mammoth Baby
 Woolly Mammoth
Vagaceratops
Ambelodon
Yutyrannus

DinoToyForum

The fact that so many figures were missing shows that the poll was created too quickly with not enough discussion in advance. However, since they were later added I'll leave this poll open and will make a video of the results once 50 people have voted. Cast your votes, please!

Also, remember, the point is to create a poll of all figures contending for the top 10. An exhaustive list of all figures under the sun, including ones that are certainly not going to make the top 10, just complicates matters. It makes it more difficult to vote, will put people off, and makes the the process of collating the results more difficult. So, in the future, first we have a round table discussion about which figures are in contention, then we generate a poll.

SidB

In view of the fine new additions to the Safari line-up that have recently been introduced, including several strong candidates for this list of the best ten, maybe this poll is becoming a bit "dated." A shame, really, as it was a good idea when it was first introduced.

Takama

I think it is safe to say that i Screwed this one up.

I belive the poll has failed, unless, Admin thinks otherwise

Due to my misdeeds, i will no longer run any more polls on this bourd

Sim

Quote from: Takama on November 29, 2017, 06:20:40 AM
I think it is safe to say that i Screwed this one up.

I belive the poll has failed, unless, Admin thinks otherwise

Due to my misdeeds, i will no longer run any more polls on this bourd

Don't be too hard on yourself, Takama.  When one learns from their mistakes, it allows them to improve.  Learning from their mistakes is exactly what that member that was banned recently ought to do, instead of being abusive to those who point out the problems in what they were doing.

Since you learn from your mistakes Takama, I think you'd be a good person to do more polls on this forum.  You now have more experience in doing them.  I actually don't think you did a bad job on this Wild Safari poll, and I wouldn't call it a failure.  I find it to be quite an interesting poll.

If you'd like to do any more polls on this forum in the future, I hope you will! :)

Quote from: SidB on November 29, 2017, 04:00:47 AM
In view of the fine new additions to the Safari line-up that have recently been introduced, including several strong candidates for this list of the best ten, maybe this poll is becoming a bit "dated." A shame, really, as it was a good idea when it was first introduced.

I think it was almost inevitable that this poll would become a bit dated, for as long as Doug Watson continued making great new figures for the Wild Safari line.  With any popular group of prehistoric animal toys for which it's likely very good new toys for that group will be made, it's likely a poll for them will soon become a bit dated.  In addition to the Wild Safari line, Tyrannosaurus is another example of this type of group.

The Top 10 Tyrannosaurus toys poll was opened for voting in January 2015 but as they weren't released it didn't include any of the following: the CollectA deluxe feathered T. rex that was released later in the same year, the 2016 CollectA standard feathered T. rex, the 2017 Wild Safari feathered T. rex, and the not-yet-released 2018 CollectA feathered T. rex.  I wouldn't have voted for any of these as I'm not a fan of any of these figures, for various reasons, but I don't doubt at least some of these would have received a lot of votes from other members.  Also, it's interesting that if one had waited for one of these T. rex figures to be released before starting that poll, the poll could've been made dated by a new T. rex figure each year up till now, and even now there's still a new one of these T. rex figures that's known to be due for release.

Coming back to Wild Safari, I think it's a similar situation to T. rex, where it's not unlikely toys for the new year will make the poll dated.  But I think this is okay, to me the alternative seems to be just not doing a poll, which is no fun at all.

SidB

Well said, Sim. Any poll risks becoming immediately obsolete, unless it gets completed rather quickly. I think that this was and is a worthwhile one. The problem, as I see it, is that we have been so very slow to vote on it, to get it to the 50 mark where it could be closed and released. Maybe the cascade of other polls that came up on or about the same time contributed to a certain fatigue among the members that made us reluctant to vote.

In any case, please don't retire from the polling business, Takama - you are a positive force on the DTF.

DinoToyForum

If a few more people are willing to vote then this poll still has legs. It can be specifically for Wild Safari figures up until 2017.

danmalcolm

My money's definitely on the "pterosaur (unspecified genus)".

DinoToyForum

Well, we're already at 49 now, one more will be enough.  8)

Ravonium

Well, looks like there's enough votes to make a video now.  :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ravonium on November 29, 2017, 06:28:16 PM
Well, looks like there's enough votes to make a video now.  :)

Yep! I'll make it so. As always, members can still vote going forward, it will be interesting to see if the order changes in the future.

DinoToyForum

suspsy

I'm surprised that the Postosuchus rated so highly. It's a fine toy, but I can think of quite a few other Doug Watson sculpts that strike me as better.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

Not to disrespect the fine Postosuchus but I agree with Supsy, the Iguanodon, Gryposaurus and Velociraptor that are behind it are for me very superior. But that's part of the fun of the polls!, to see the likes of different people in this community.

DinoToyForum

Only three of the figures in the official top ten overlap with my personal top ten. One of them is the Postosuchus. I certainly think it deserves its place. :)

Faelrin

I have to wonder why I didn't vote for the Postosuchus at the time I voted. Maybe because it has accuracy issues (since it's restored as bipedal now I think)? I can't really think of many other reasons, since I do love the color scheme on that one (just looks beautiful to me). Of course there are other figures I like more then that one, so that could have been why too (I can't remember how many choices we could pick). Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I didn't vote for the 2010 Apatosaurus or the Woolly Mammoth either. Interesting results though. I like how the Sauropelta came in top place.

I wonder how things would have went if the late 2017/early 2018 releases were included. I know my top ten will be changing now with many of the figures released this year. I have to wonder, is there a thread for our top five - ten figures per company? I think there's the top five favorite thread, but that's not exactly the same thing.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I enjoyed the video!  What's the music?  It's a nice choice.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on November 30, 2017, 02:07:47 PM
I enjoyed the video!  What's the music?  It's a nice choice.

Thanks! The music is from the Youtube audio library - free to use. But I really like it, too. I try to mix up the top 10 videos to make them a little more interesting and different each time. Sometimes I put a little joke in there.

Sim

I didn't know about the YouTube audio library.  Thanks for the info.  Do you know the name of the music in the top 10 Wild Safari figures video?  Or anything else that could help me find it?  I tried looking in the YouTube audio library but there's so much music there and I haven't been able to find this one.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on December 01, 2017, 08:51:46 PM
I didn't know about the YouTube audio library.  Thanks for the info.  Do you know the name of the music in the top 10 Wild Safari figures video?  Or anything else that could help me find it?  I tried looking in the YouTube audio library but there's so much music there and I haven't been able to find this one.

That's the trouble with it, you have to just listen through them one by one until you find something you like. This one is called "Into The Depths". The other track I use for top 10 videos is called "The Story Unfolds". That one is good, too.

Sim

Thanks, Dr Adam!  Yes, they're both good.  Interestingly, they appear to be by the same producer.  I can only imagine how many of the YouTube audio library tracks you've listened to, to find good choices for the top 10 videos!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.