News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Great Photobucket Purge

Started by DinoToyForum, July 07, 2017, 04:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Well, I've replaced all my images from the Canadian Museum of Nature and its warehouse. Still a lot more museum photos to go though.

Rot in hell, Photobucket.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Neosodon

I wasted hours trying to get Photobucket work. So at least I can say I won't miss them. If Photobucket was really the best out there I will have to be pretty desperate before I try posting any more pictures.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

DinoToyForum

Thanks everyone for getting on board, together we can do this. I won't begin editing posts myself until everyone has had a chance to edit their own posts. Probably a couple of months.

One area where members could begin is their signatures. Since these appear in each and every post, a single dead Photobucket link in a signature may appear hundreds or even thousands of times on the forum in total. So, fixing signatures is a sensible place to start, if there is anyone who hasn't done so yet.

Cheers!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 07, 2017, 08:02:38 PM
Test with MLMjp's specified Photobucket image. Works for me:

I was right about it being a matter of time.  :(

Bokisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 10, 2017, 08:02:24 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 10, 2017, 06:17:01 PM
Yikes! >:(
Well, too far my photos are still up. Two years ago, I started paying $30 a year for added storage, perhaps my terms was different then, we shall see when I'm up for renewal this year.
It would be a nightmare to think of saving my photos, there is just waaaayyyy to many of them at this point! ;D
It would be a shame if my photos finally starts to disappear , threads like March of the titans and Thundering herds will be no more.
If they do catch, I guess now is a perfect time to start my own collection thread.
So sorry to see so many photos just vanish!

It would be disastrous for the forum if all of your photos went missing as well, but please don't pay Photobucket the ransom!

Never! Imagine how many figures I can get with that much money? ^-^

Faelrin

I'm digging through my post history right now to see where I've posted images from photobucket. I already have an imgur account. I'll have to use that for the meantime to get everything up again. Hopefully it won't take me more then tonight and maybe tomorrow.

I wonder what this means for older reviews though that used photobucket images? I hope those can get fixed.

Edit: Think I got all of mine fixed now. I double checked my post history. Will check through it again a third time tomorrow just to be on the safe side.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Well, I've just deleted my Photobucket account. It'll be quite awhile before I finish replacing all those museum photos. :(

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on July 15, 2017, 04:39:48 AM
I'm digging through my post history right now to see where I've posted images from photobucket. I already have an imgur account. I'll have to use that for the meantime to get everything up again. Hopefully it won't take me more then tonight and maybe tomorrow.

I wonder what this means for older reviews though that used photobucket images? I hope those can get fixed.

Edit: Think I got all of mine fixed now. I double checked my post history. Will check through it again a third time tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Oh, I didn't even think of the blog. I think most reviewers upload their images to the wordpress gallery, but I'll have to update any that used photobucket.

suspsy

I'm afraid Libraraptor has a number of reviews that used Photobucket.

DinoToyForum

I'm going to begin the purge today by removing Photobucket signatures - they are so ubiquitous. Also, people change their signatures every now and again anyway, unlike posts, so members can always add a new signature later.  C:-)

Edit - Just going through and editing member profiles and spotted Paleoferroequine's avatar message to Photobucket ;D

Jose S.M.

I already replaced all my images and deleted my pb account.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on July 16, 2017, 09:29:40 PM
I already replaced all my images and deleted my pb account.

Thanks!
---
Today I removed dead Photobucket links from the signatures of all members with 50 or more posts. There were quite a lot. It is amazing how many members used it. Photobucket must be absolutely raking it in through advertising, which makes their ransom demand all the more peculiar.

stoneage

I believe Fox Interactive Media is related to Fox News.

stargatedalek

Quote from: stoneage on July 17, 2017, 01:19:28 AM
I'm assuming wrong thread but is this it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Interactive

*edit*
Yep, it's them alright, they bought Photobucket. Explains a lot.

paleoferroequine

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 17, 2017, 01:48:43 AM

*edit*

No it doesn't, Fox Interactive Media is not Fox Interactive which is defunct. Fox Interactive Media hasn't owned Photobucket since 2009 when it sold it to Ontela which still owns it.

BlueKrono

Quote from: paleoferroequine on July 17, 2017, 03:27:39 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 17, 2017, 01:48:43 AM

*edit*

No it doesn't, Fox Interactive Media is not Fox Interactive which is defunct. Fox Interactive Media hasn't owned Photobucket since 2009 when it sold it to Ontela which still owns it.

I like your new profile photo.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Jetoar

I will add images with another host and youtube videos as sustitute  ;).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Carnosaur

I lucked out in that most of my images here are hosted on Deviant Art.
But I still have a lot of images to replace on IMVU where i work as a content creator...

Nebuloid

Didn't even know this was happening, I couldn't get photobucket to work at all in the last year. I've been using Flickr to host my images, put them on private and there you go.

stoneage

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.