News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

[ Results! ] The 2017 Dinosaur Diorama And Photography Contest!

Started by Kayakasaurus, August 30, 2017, 02:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

It was so neat to see the entries come in one by one, they are all so great! Helping me with the difficult task of deciding this years Winning entries are; Postsaurisuchian, Blade-of-the-Moon, Jetoar, and Dinosaurtoyforum. It took a while communicating over multiple time zones for three rounds of voting, but here are the results!

Winner for Best Overall!
# 20 "Life's greatest recovery begins..." By Irimali

Winner for Best Photography!
# 18 "Sensing a Disturbance in the Forest" By A.Garcia

Winner for Best Diorama!
# 25 "Even crocgirls get the blues" By Federreptil

And now for the Honorable mentions!

"Narcissus, the beautiful postosuchus" By Mr. challenger

"Parched" By Pilkington

"Walk the earth" By Acro-man

Big thanks to this years Artists, Judges and Dinosaurtoyforum!  :)

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Simon

Congratulations to all the winners!  Great work everybody!!  ;D

Georassic

Quote from: Simon on August 30, 2017, 03:50:29 AM
Congratulations to all the winners!  Great work everybody!!  ;D
Ditto Simon. Well-done all!

Simon

Quick question for the judges/Dr Admin - which thread would be best for posting alternate images not used as entries?  I've got a few different angle shots of my submission, and I'd love to see the same from other contestants?

Thanks!   O:-)

Neosodon

#20 was a worthy winner. The lush plants sprouting up and synapsids foraging through the smoldering remains of a lifeless wasteland really sets the tone for the aftermath of the Permian extinction.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Congrats to everyone, wonderful work. Kudos to irimali for a well-deserved win!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

acro-man

Just looking back at all the entries, that excitement came back to me once again.
Now I know why it took so long for the judging.
It's not the time zone, it's the entries themselves being so GREAT and so difficult to choose the better one!
Good job everybody!
(though I have thought the panel to be bigger, like 10 guys)

I second that, Simon.
Last year I was so fond of reading the making-of thread of the magnificent "An Old English Fisherman" by Silvanusaurus.
I am sure there would be more interesting behind the stage stories or great backup/alternative shots to share this year.
So I am looking forward to such a place to post these.

But, since my story is very short, I will just share it here:
My entry is a tribute to Zhao Chuang's breathtaking illustration.

courtesy to Mr Zhao
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

ceratopsian

Congratulations to the winners and Honourable Mentions, and thank you to everyone who took part.  Some amazing photos were submitted and it must have been very difficult for the judges to whittle it down.  Irimali's photo is superb in so many ways.  For instance, I love the way the background fades to white mistiness.  It's very evocative.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Simon on August 30, 2017, 04:12:31 AM
Quick question for the judges/Dr Admin - which thread would be best for posting alternate images not used as entries?  I've got a few different angle shots of my submission, and I'd love to see the same from other contestants?

Thanks!   O:-)

You could start a new thread in the dioramas board.

Federreptil

Wow I'm impressed.
No. 20 of Irimali is so awesome and it is a very worthy winner. I have still estimated, it is Irimali because of the swampy and felty mood in the whole scenery and the very special plants. I like so much the fading details in the background. Because of this fantastic best of all and the new rating system, my diorama get even a prize. So I'm very glad and proud about this result to be a lucky second. Gratulation to the other winners and honorable mentions.
All my favorites are in the nomination without No. 3 'eye of the storm'. So I want to know, who is the author? It's not easy to catch such a rainy atmosphere.

I will show soon some alternate pics and details of the making-of in my usual diorama thread 'Not used for Contest 2013'http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1564.60

Mr. Challenger

Happy to see my pic into the honorable mentions!
Mine was a little difficult to categorize because I made the diorama only with the water reflection idea on mind, so I don´t show the rest of it in the picture. The diorama has a big hole, so I put a tray with colored water under it to create the pond. The background painture creates the illusion of the sky reflected in the water and...that's all. Natural lighting and no photoshop, only a bit of contrast and saturation correction  ^-^

Hope you liked it :)

PaleoMatt

Congratulations to the winners! All very deserving dioramas! :D

Jose S.M.

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Kayakasaurus for putting the contest together and also to all the contestants and the jury. I'm happy that my personal favorite got best overall hehehe.

Libraraptor

Congratulations,  those are the right Choices! All contributions were interesting to look at, and the Overall winner would have been my choice,  too.

Patrx

Congratulations, all! Man, there really were some great entries.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I t was really difficult to chose. So many awesome entrants.  I would love to read more about how each was made and what hard work went into them in the future. 

Mr Challenger, that was a very nice one you did,  the reflection was so perfect I assumed Photoshop was used!

Andreioli

#20 was definitely my favourite as well, so I'm glad it won the Best Overall prize.

There were many awesome entries this year, it must have been hard to choose the winners.

Great job everyone !! ;D

Lanthanotus

Happy to see my personal favorite having won the Overall best, especially as it is another great work by Irimali within a forum contest.... and I like seeing a Permian themed entry winning for a second time in a row.

However, great entries made it into the winners and mentions and judging must have been hard. Despite not having won myself (obviously) I am happy to had my part in the contest.

Neosodon

Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 30, 2017, 07:56:22 PM
and I like seeing a Permian themed entry winning for a second time in a row.
Well if it is after the Permian extinction it would technically be Triassic I think.  Does anyone no what species the synapsids are supposed to be?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Neosodon on August 30, 2017, 08:02:24 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 30, 2017, 07:56:22 PM
and I like seeing a Permian themed entry winning for a second time in a row.
Well if it is after the Permian extinction it would technically be Triassic I think.  Does anyone no what species the synapsids are supposed to be?

Ah yes, my fault, I think you're genuinely right.  I may have been misled by the overal lack of toy figures of both periods.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.