News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Not used for Contest 2013

Started by Federreptil, August 04, 2013, 12:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Federreptil

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 30, 2015, 11:13:21 PM
Wow! You went all out on these guys, impressive work as always.
For some reason, I really like the one that did not make it to the contest, in particular, the first two ones. Great dioramas!

Yes, I can follow Your point. If all four dioramas would reach the finish line in time, I don't know which entry would make the pace. The Dilophosaurus family was the first idea for this year and if the paint job would not so time-killing, the whole excursion to China would be shifted.

This is the family as a piscivorous species. Why should every theropod always haunting the biggest herbivores, if this is so dangerous?

And this was the first family constellation before they get their new suits.

Federreptil

Quote from: Kovu on October 29, 2015, 11:43:08 PM
Bro! You have some seriously mad talent in the diorama department! Props!
They're all great, but I'm loving the Coelophysis and Dilophosaurus ones in particular. They have a real Smithsonian-esque vibe going on.

The Smithsonian-esque vibe is very strong in this years session, because I wonder how could little dioramas be an addition to modern exhibitions of Dinorsaur fossils in museums and dino parks. They can show a vision of Jurassic-Biotopes with bigger herds and relationships between the species in tight space. They can demonstrate some theories and suggestions of the present research like feathered Theropods. And they can give a overview of the evolution of the models of one species as a reflection of our belief of Dinosaurs. This could movies too, but is this the same feeling?

Here an example for the exhibition feeling. It looks like an exhibit, when the last visitor is gone:

Jetoar

Your dioramas are really beautiful  :o.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Arul

Again, so beautiful i think you done a much bigger better greater diorama this year  :) looks like a diorama in the museum  :o

Pachyrhinosaurus

Wow, I really like that last one.  :) May I ask what you used for the ferns? I can't find anything like those in stores.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Federreptil

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 03, 2015, 12:25:49 AM
Wow, I really like that last one.  :) May I ask what you used for the ferns? I can't find anything like those in stores.

I took model palms in the scale of 1:100 or 1:200. They are made in China for architectural belief and sold not to expensive at Ebay. There are three or four different types. Than I cropped the trunks and the leafs look now like small ferns.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Federreptil on November 03, 2015, 12:33:54 AM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 03, 2015, 12:25:49 AM

I took model palms in the scale of 1:100 or 1:200. They are made in China for architectural belief and sold not to expensive at Ebay. There are three or four different types. Than I cropped the trunks and the leafs look now like small ferns.

Thank you. That's very resourceful. I'll look into procuring some for myself.  ;)
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Federreptil

Quote from: Arul on November 03, 2015, 12:17:33 AM
Again, so beautiful i think you done a much bigger better greater diorama this year  :) looks like a diorama in the museum  :o

Thanks Arul for Your warm words. We will see, what's the next year diorama. Maybe it will be bigger and not again in this tight museum style. But in the last two years the plans are great and the time becomes short. So I should slow the expectations down and should not promise too much ???

Federreptil

Quote from: Jetoar on November 02, 2015, 11:10:38 PM
Your dioramas are really beautiful  :o.

Thanks a lot for your compliment. Have you done a diorama this year? Or take the creation of the fantastic Liopleuredon too much time. I followed your link to your blog and was impressed.

irimali

your photos are fantastic!  My favorite is the ceolophysis.   Such a natural looking scene.  And the herd of placerias in the mist really gives a feeling of depth.

LophoLeeVT

your dios are the BEST that i have ever seen!
check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Federreptil

Can't wait to see the decision of the non-official Diorama Contest 2017.
Not only for the results but for sharing more pictures of my this year runner.

As a pastime I put my last year entry again from the vault:

This was in fact an emergency program because the planned diorama was far to ambitious for the realization in time. The first tests are very promising and unfortunately I can't show them here. I'm still hoping to finish some day the whole picture and than the tests will tell now too much for an later anonymous entry.
So I show here some further pictures of my so named 'dino chicks':

Here I put all the out-dated Theropods together and all the feathering is complete ridiculous. But nevertheless even the Schleichs are great actors for a coffee party of silly old ladies.

Are this Carnotaurus-Twins not looking a little bit goofy?

Simon

*LOL*  I loved your "TRex Party" entry!  It was one of the most creative and imaginative submissions in the history of the contest. ;D

ZoPteryx

Because even scary theropods like to feel fancy every now and then!  :))  That last photo would be great for a "what are they saying" type of contest.

Federreptil

Here some first impressions of the this year diorama contest.
First the official entry in a higher resolution to show more details:

This is the first variation with the focus on the Pteronodon and Deinosuchus:

A flock of Ceratopsids seems always a lucky decision for the contest. This year it is a mixed herd of two species. The Nasutoceratops and the Utahceratops are inhabitants of the same ecosystem in the former Utah coast. Both are quite similar in the bodies but very different in the shapes of their head. A comparsion of a short shield for a centrosaurus and a long neck for a chasmosaurus remains me to the different horntypes in the mixed herds of antilopes in the African savannah. So is a mixed herd maybe a natural setting for wandering Ceratopsids.

Here another view to the group of the Nasutoceratops animals:

The landscape for this habitat is full of water, mud and sands. So crocodiles are not far away.

A variation in the line-up of the herd. A few days later the vegetation is repressing, more Pteronodons fly over the herd and the nebula is back.

More pics you will find on my German blog: http://heinwerken.blogspot.de/

I will return with a short report about the making-of.

Federreptil

Quote from: Simon on August 24, 2017, 06:03:47 PM
*LOL*  I loved your "TRex Party" entry!  It was one of the most creative and imaginative submissions in the history of the contest. ;D

Thank you for the very kind comment. I'm glad that I not the only one who likes this feathred ladies.

Federreptil

Quote from: ZoPteryx on August 24, 2017, 09:36:04 PM
Because even scary theropods like to feel fancy every now and then!  :))  That last photo would be great for a "what are they saying" type of contest.

If a Schleich dinosaur get tarted up with some fancy stuff, the girls are looking now very talky ;)

Federreptil

Can't wait to show some impressions from the making-of:

Starting with the herd before the preparation. As every time the problems are the same: Too many identical animals and too different in the coloration.

The first step is cutting the heads of some Ceratopsids and change the bodies. Here it is an advantage that the shapes of Ceratopsids are quite similar and CollectA and Safari edited a lot of different species. This picture shows the remaining animals with the new bodies:

The other side. The new Nasutoceratops members of the herd. The color scheme of the ColectA model is transferred to the other bodies, because I like the interpretation of CollectA for the Nasutoceratops most. It is a strong and calm impression of an natural animal and in this case the primitive headornament is not to extreme like some other models who are painted as soccer fans of the UK.

This is the Safari bunch after the transformation. There is much more posing and the adults seems not to know how to manage the whole power.

Here comes the troupe of Shapeways actors. The original is made by Aaron Doyle and my first still conventional painting of a white strong and flexible body.

Last part are the juveniles transforming the pachyrhinoceratops adults of the Walking With The Dinosaurs movie.

Smaller is the group for the Utahceratops. Here is only one model in the needed size available. The position of the eyes in head sculpt is a little strange. The pattern of the body is totally revised.

Finally the scenery. This year is the setting bigger than the four dioramas two years ago but not so huge like the triceratops set from 2014. It is even temporary and a lot of elements are used again. New are the conifers in the background for a cretaceous landscape. The water will works only in a very low angle when a total reflexion will be visible.

Here is the scene more completed. The little ferns will later added. The tail of the crocodile is a ridiculous mistake and for the final shot removed.

The final scenery in a Pteronodon view.

The whole semi-professional studio build-up. More smooth lighting is a step forward after the last attempts with sharp LED-torches.

A last look to the stage:

More pics are on my German Blog:http://heinwerken.blogspot.de/

Halichoeres

Wow, that is a Herculean effort! Amazing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

I really like the "frankenstein" ceratopsians, they look really good and it's interesting seen a known head sculpt in a different pose, like the head of CollectA's Nasutoceratops looking up or the W.S one in the action pose of the Einiosaurus. Thanks for showing us the making of your diorama.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.