News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Archosaurs repaints

Started by JohannesB, September 11, 2017, 03:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

I am not certain yet if this is becoming a succes. Any advice or critique?

Patrx

JohannesB

Thank you. But I still think it needs some work. Maybe just a little more variation/shading on the torso and along the spine.

Simon

A tremendous improvement over the factory paint up.  I vote: "SUCCESS"!!  ;D

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Simon on September 11, 2017, 04:45:28 PM

This!

However, personally I tend to darken the feet of my repaints to suggest they are stained by dirt, dust or mud. Other then that.... see above :)

JohannesB

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 11, 2017, 08:00:50 PM
Quote from: Simon on September 11, 2017, 04:45:28 PM

This!

However, personally I tend to darken the feet of my repaints to suggest they are stained by dirt, dust or mud. Other then that.... see above :)

Thanks. Yes, that is a good suggestion.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Nice work, I like It! It's hard to get a good color scheme like this for a sauropod.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

JohannesB

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on September 13, 2017, 03:09:32 PM
Nice work, I like It! It's hard to get a good color scheme like this for a sauropod.

Thanks. Yes, I find that sauropods and color schemes are somehow tricky. I don't know why, exactly. It becomes too garish or overdone very fast. Maybe because big animals are always rather subdued with color (scheme). But who knows, right? Anyway, my creation is just fantasy, even though I try to be realistic.

JohannesB

I did not like the repaint of my Carnegie Diplodocus, so I tried this with grey blue and a few light brown colors (needs some wash, maybe):

Halichoeres

Was this inspired by the Invicta painted Diplodocus? The palette has some commonalities. It looks great, although perhaps a wash could bring out the textures a bit as you suggest. Very nice work!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

JohannesB

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 11, 2021, 03:51:35 PM
Was this inspired by the Invicta painted Diplodocus? The palette has some commonalities.

Now that you say it! But no, I did not think at all of trying to copy that, nor was I inspired by it. Or maybe unconsciously 😅

Skorpio V.

I also notice the neck being raised! I have a feeling this would look stylish next to the Safari Ltd. Camarasaurus.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

JohannesB

Quote from: Skorpio V. on December 11, 2021, 04:42:12 PM
I also notice the neck being raised! I have a feeling this would look stylish next to the Safari Ltd. Camarasaurus.

Yes, I did heat the neck and bent it up a bit. I like it better in that pose, and it seems very likely that Diplodocus could have done that anyway.

Shonisaurus

Lifting your neck will have given you a good job. That repaint is very good, that grayish blue looks great on him.

JohannesB

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 13, 2021, 11:09:43 AM
Lifting your neck will have given you a good job. That repaint is very good, that grayish blue looks great on him.

Thank you. I am quite happy with how it turned out, given my relatively limited skills and imagination 😅 I am now working on the Carnegie Brachiosaurus (I also lifted the neck upwards quite a bit on that figure). I'll show it when I am reasonably satisfied with the paint job.

JohannesB

The Carnegie Brachiosaurus repainted. I did not really plan this, so it just is what it is, I guess..

JohannesB

I tried another, radically different, color scheme. I am really just still learning a lot about painting here, mostly through making mistakes. (If you only knew how many layers of failed 'experiments' are beneath this..)

MesozoicJohn

Absolutely stunning! Fantastic work.  8) 8) 8)

John :)

JohannesB

SidB

Quote from: JohannesB on December 25, 2021, 10:58:20 AM
Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 25, 2021, 10:56:10 AM
Absolutely stunning! Fantastic work.  8) 8) 8)

John :)

Thank you, John :-)
This above complement is no exaggeration, your final product is top-end. You've breathed (painted) new life into the fine old Carnegie. Exceedingly well done. avatar_JohannesB @JohannesB .

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.