News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun: New for 2018

Started by sauroid, December 09, 2017, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empire3569

Quote from: suspsy on December 09, 2017, 06:29:00 PM
All four are unimpressive. When it comes to dinosaurs, Mojo hasn't caught up to Schleich, let alone CollectA and Safari.

I must politely disagree; while these are not amazing, they are certainly much better than previous Mojo offerings and leagues ahead of childish, cartoonish, stylised Schleich figures, but yes they still fall short of CollectA and safari accuracy wise

I actually like the baryonyx, the legs are a little off but its a nice sculpt and obvious they tried to follow anatomy. The Giganotosaurus is nice too but ruined by that absurd stride

BlueKrono

They aren't species I collect, but I don't think the quality's bad. Pretty comparable to Favorite, IMO.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Irritation

What a nice lineup this year! I love the blue on their Baryonyx.

Faelrin

I like the Baryonyx. Not too bad. Could have more meat on it maybe, but close. The Deinonychus is okay. I wish it had primaries though, but it seems miles better then the Schleich Utahraptor in terms of plumage. A step in the right direction at least. The Baryonyx seems to be a bit too big to size up well with the Safari Ltd Iguanodon, but I wonder how it would be alongside the Papo Iguanodon or CollectA's Deluxe. Anyone have a clue?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ravonium

All I can say about this lineup is that at least there's now a Baryonyx out there that is (somewhat) worth buying.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Ravonium on December 09, 2017, 10:19:51 PM
All I can say about this lineup is that at least there's now a Baryonyx out there that is (somewhat) worth buying.

They picked a good year for it too, with JW2 coming out. Think they knew ahead of time that was in there?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reptilia

Baryonyx and Deinonychus are decent, in terms of sculpt are on par with lots of Safaris and better than most Schleichs. The Baryonyx would just need to have proportionally sized feet and a little shorter tail to be a nice figure.

terrorchicken

I would have loved to get the baryonyx but its legs are too long and thin(or its body is just too skinny.)

the giga would be cool but that eye placement just looks so wrong!

tanystropheus

These models all look pretty cool, but what's up with the slender look? Is it a stylistic thing?

Jose S.M.

They are slender, but I think that the big feet of Baryonyx makes it looks even thinner, it's a shame given the nice head sculpt, also I'm not a fan of the skin texture. I guess I'll keep wainting for Safari to give me a Bary. Same for Deinonychus, but this one for being to big and the pose, is it supposed to be resting on it's hands and one feet, with the other feet up in the air?

Edit: seen the photos again it doesn't look like rests on it's hands, I don't understand that pose  :D

Loon

The bare head/throat, as well as the color scheme, and crest make me think the Deinonychus was inspired by the Natural History Museum's model.

Faelrin

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 09, 2017, 11:36:02 PM
These models all look pretty cool, but what's up with the slender look? Is it a stylistic thing?

Well they are a little bit shrinkwrapped in some places, hence why they look so thin in some places. They just need more meat in some of those areas.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Shonisaurus

Quote from: John on December 09, 2017, 07:54:14 PM
People may want to see more pictures of the model before calling the Diplodocus "inaccurate" so quickly.
In a model that's only 10 inches long or so,there is bound to be some distortion in the photos due to angle,pose of the model,and closeness of the camera.That being said,it and the other three look fine to me so far as I can tell.   :)

Sincerely hope that you are right and that the promotional photo differs with respect to the real figure. It's what I say about Papo's amargasaurus we do not have much information. The same happens with Papo's polacanthus that being a figure that he thought was very weak, it turned out that it was more finished than I thought. My greatest hope that the Diplodocus Mojo in person is better than in the promotional photo.  ;)

On the other hand the deinonychus, giganotosaurus and bayonyx look great. They have made a great leap in the creation of quality terópodos the company Mojo independently that already gave positive signals the previous year with the two versions of the tyrannosaurus rex (red and green as I call them) and the allosaurus.

Reptilia

One of the main complaints about the Papo Baryonyx was its fatness, now this one would be shrink-wrapped? I think the proportions might be misleading, if it had smaller feet, a shorter tail, and maybe a slightly smaller head it wouldn't look off.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Reptilia on December 10, 2017, 12:19:39 AM
One of the main complaints about the Papo Baryonyx was its fatness, now this one would be shrink-wrapped? I think the proportions might be misleading, if it had smaller feet, a shorter tail, and maybe a slightly smaller head it wouldn't look off.
I'm sorry but you should really pay a little more attention if you're going to make accusatory statements like this. "Shrink wrapping" isn't used in reference to an animals proportions but rather refers to a reconstruction where the animals features are unduly highlighted or even invented on areas where they should be obscured by muscle or flesh. For example this Baryonyx is missing the necessary musculature at the base of the tail, and the details of its skull should not be visible through the flesh of its head.

Sim

Oh wow!  I definitely wasn't expecting this from Mojo!

The Baryonyx is the standout figure for me out of these.  It looks like it will be the most accurate Baryonyx toy, and that finally there will be a toy representation of Baryonyx that does a good job at looking like Baryonyx as we understand it now.  The head looks very good, which is unusual for a Baryonyx toy, it's astonishing how inaccurate the heads are on a number of Baryonyx toys, e.g. the CollectA, CollectA Deluxe, Papo, Toyway...

I like the Mojo Baryonyx's pose a lot, too.  With regards to non-Spinosaurus spinosaurid figures, I've found the bent down poses to be underwhelming, and the figures that I found the stronger attempts at accurate representation have all been in these bent down poses: the Invicta Baryonyx, the Carnegie Baryonyx and the 2014 Wild Safari Suchomimus.  Of these three, the two Baryonyx figures are also quite dated.  Papo managed to make a pose I dislike even more for their Baryonyx, a bizarre and unnatural-looking lunging pose where the animal's hands are near the head, consequently making it harder to appreciate the animal's more interesting features - the head and hands (even though the Papo figure's head is quite inaccurate).  The Mojo Baryonyx has the kind of pose I've been wanting in a good Baryonyx figure: walking/standing in a way that naturally shows this animal's interesting and distinctive anatomy.  No bent down pose, no comical lunging pose, no fish stuck to it as if a Baryonyx figure wouldn't be interesting enough otherwise.

The Deinonychus's skull shape appears to be decent, which is a pleasant surprise as there's a few different inaccurate Deinonychus skull reconstructions that have widespread presence.  I'm a bit disappointed by the shrink-wrapping on the Mojo Deinonychus's head, and the lack of primary feathers attaching to its fingers.  I hope the featherless area on the neck doesn't continue further past the neck down to the end of the tail.  All this having been said, I'm happy to see someone attempt a modern toy representation of Deinonychus.  Dromaeosaurid toys that aren't little more than Jurassic Park knock-offs are rarely made, and this Mojo figure appears to be the nicest Deinonychus toy so far.

An interesting thing about the Giganotosaurus is that it seems to follow the more likely shorter skull reconstruction for Giganotosaurus, rather than the original skull reconstruction for Giga that appears to have been artificially elongated as much as possible.  There was some posts about the skull elongation in the Safari 2017 thread, like in Reply #1794 and some previous posts: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4934.msg159613#msg159613
The head of the Mojo Giganotosaurus is tilted to the side, this might make its head look odd in the image, with the head actually looking significantly better than what the image shows.  It's unfortunate this figure's feet look oversized.

I look forward to seeing more photos of these four new Mojo figures.  I have no plans to get the Giganotosaurus and Diplodocus.  The Baryonyx and Deinonychus interest me though, and photos will help me decide whether to get them.  The Baryonyx I think I will get, as it looks very good.  The Deinonychus I'm less likely to get, due to the shrink-wrapping and lack of wing feathers on the fingers.  The deciding factor on the Deinonychus might be whether its underside is feathered or featherless.

In any case, I see a big improvement in Mojo's dinosaurs.  It also seems clear to me that with the Baryonyx, Deinonychus and Giganotosaurus, Mojo has done a decent job with trying to get the skull shapes right which is commendable, there's been quite a number of Baryonyx toys with inaccurate heads, and for Deinonychus and Giganotosaurus it's not very hard to be misled by inaccurate/unlikely skull reconstructions for these animals.

Flaffy

Pleasantly surprised!
Well to be fair I had absolutely zero expectations for Mojo in the first place...

Seems like Mojo is attempting to crawl out of the hole they dug for themselves a few years back, which is a very nice thing to see. These figures are not "must buys" by any means, but if they continue this steadily improving trend, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Particularly impressed with their Baryonyx, and with the upcoming Jurassic World film, it might boost sales of their Baryonyx.
The rest are pretty average, but definitely not as bad as their previous lineup.

Reptilia

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 10, 2017, 01:02:42 AM
I'm sorry but you should really pay a little more attention if you're going to make accusatory statements like this. "Shrink wrapping" isn't used in reference to an animals proportions but rather refers to a reconstruction where the animals features are unduly highlighted or even invented on areas where they should be obscured by muscle or flesh. For example this Baryonyx is missing the necessary musculature at the base of the tail, and the details of its skull should not be visible through the flesh of its head.

I know what shrink-wrapped means, it just doesn't look shrink-wrapped to me. And I said that the oversized head and feet might be misleading and giving the impression of the body being too slender, which I don't think it is.

And then, accusatory statements? Lol, take it easy.

ZoPteryx

Surprisingly good for Mojo!

The Diplodocus leaves a bit to be desired, with the bright green color and retro posture, but it's not too bad.

The Baryonyx is actually pretty impressive! A bit shallow bodied, the feet are huge, and the head's a bit shrink wrapped, but despite that it's probably actually the most accurate Baryonyx on the market.  I'll probably get it, maybe for modding.

The Giga's decent, but it suffers the same issues as the Bary, plus it looks like it's doing the splits!  In terms of accuracy an aesthetics, there are much better versions of this genus.

I actually rather like this Deinonychus.  It's far from perfect, it's under feathered and lacks primaries among other things, but with a little modding it could be excellent.  The facial detail is especially nice looking, questionably accurate, but nice looking.  I actually wish it was a bit bigger though, so it'd properly scale with the BotM raptors.

Quote from: Faelrin on December 09, 2017, 09:23:38 PM
The Baryonyx seems to be a bit too big to size up well with the Safari Ltd Iguanodon, but I wonder how it would be alongside the Papo Iguanodon or CollectA's Deluxe. Anyone have a clue?

Assuming the CollectA Iguanodon really is 1:40, then this Baryonyx should scale fairly well with it, much better than with the Safari Iguanodon.  It might be just a tad too big, but nothing enormously off.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Ravonium on December 09, 2017, 10:19:51 PM

Not sure what this is supposed to mean as the Papo Baryonyx is more impressive (at least in terms of detail and coloration) than the Mojo version and was (somewhat) worth buying. It should be noted that the Papo version is too stocky and this version is too lean (the legs are way too long).

Unfortunately, the promotional pictures (the ones that made the Papo model look like a Kaijū) left a bitter taste because of the peculiar use of angles. However, anyone that actually owns the Papo Baryonyx will attest that is is one of Papo's best sculpts, if not the best. The colors are vibrant and the sculpt is second to none. It isn't accurate (the head sculpt is a thing of beauty but is an unusual spinosaurid mosaic of sorts from what I've read) by any means and probably makes for a better Suchomimus stand-in.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.