News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel, Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom toys - new for 2018

Started by Takama, December 23, 2017, 04:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaprosaurus

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on June 03, 2018, 02:52:12 AM
Quote from: Dilopho on June 03, 2018, 01:55:54 AM
Is it still electronic? I can't imagine that playing well with the slime.

Looks to be, you can just about make out the button on its back
Its not electronic,there is a video on youtube showing there are no speakers,it was covered

Faelrin

That Spinosaurus is absolutely amazing, and huge. I cannot wait to get my hands on one. I might even have to have it occupy the side of my bed with my Mosasaurus. I really wish I knew when Wave 2 was coming out. Hopefully soon, because I also really want the Legacy Dilophosaurus and the Wave 2 Roarivores (Ankylosaurus and Ceratosaurus).

I think that Baryonyx set would have appealed to me as a kid maybe (because of the fake lava gimmick). I guess this is intended to be the second one in the app? Still it is cool there's a set out there emulating that particular scene.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on June 03, 2018, 01:24:45 AM
Not really impressed by it.... I mean, why bother with a repaint if all you're changing is the colour of the snout?

I don't think it is a repaint. It's basically a sample of the lava-slime (from the play set) on Baryonyx's nose.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dilopho on June 03, 2018, 01:55:54 AM
Looks like the body is a bit more orangey too.
Is it still electronic? I can't imagine that playing well with the slime.

Nope. The body looks the same to me. It's just lighting. And the orangey stuff on Bary's snout is likely lava-slime  :)

PumperKrickel

deleted

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 03, 2018, 04:59:58 AM
I don't think it is a repaint. It's basically a sample of the lava-slime (from the play set) on Baryonyx's nose.

It's a repaint, this Baryonyx, orange nose and all, can be seen in the Jurassic Facts app

Reptilia

Anyone noticed, or maybe have been already pointed out with previous pictures, that the Spinosaurus' hands are not pronated? That's inaccurate! Anyway, it looks wonderful with all the other figures in the photo.

MLMjp

So that´s where the orange snouted Baryonyx comes from. I was starting to think that the figure did not exist. I like the concept of the play set and it would be nice to have it, but I think I will pass on it.

Edit: apparently there is a hole new subcategory with slime features:

Reptilia

That lava playset looks pretty cool, as the idea of lab kits in general, but I'm starting to wonder if the Baryonyx' iridescence on the snout is some specific feature the animal has in the movie. Otherwise I wouldn't see the reason of limiting that kind of colour to the snout area, or why repaint only that part in orange for the playset version.

Dilopho

Quote from: Reptilia on June 03, 2018, 02:02:51 PM
That lava playset looks pretty cool, as the idea of lab kits in general, but I'm starting to wonder if the Baryonyx' iridescence on the snout is some specific feature the animal has in the movie. Otherwise I wouldn't see the reason of limiting that kind of colour to the snout area, or why repaint only that part in orange for the playset version.

I don't really think this is a spoiler, it's incredibly minor, but
Spoiler
There's a Tv spot showing a bit of lava dunk on the Baryonyx when it comes out of the tunnel. It doesn't seem to harm the animal, it's just a tiny bit of lava, but I imagine the Baryonyx gets burns on the snout?
[close]

Fembrogon

Mattel is going to drown us in lava toys, aren't they?  >:D

That Spino continues to look cool - although the tail still looks small.

I grabbed a couple more items at Walmart the other day:

The Battle Damage Triceratops has nice sculpt details, but it's a bit boring in color. I like its crouching pose - it looks more active and alive than the Roarivore - but the figure is stuck in that pose, despite articulation. You win some, you lose some.
Oh, for some reason the brow horns are made of a pliable rubber. I assume this is a safety feature, but the horns aren't even pointer than the average tail tip. Odd.

The multi-pack contains what I believe are the same types of figures sold in the 3-packs, except many of these I have yet to see in the 3-packs. The bag is re-sealable (a nice touch), and inside are two trays, taped to the inside of the bag as well as each other. The figures are all pretty nicely detailed, and vary between direct copies of their larger counterparts and seemingly new sculpts. Just four of the figures have these ugly red scars on one side.*

Spoiler

[close]

Baryonyx and Metriacanthosaurus might be my favorites, but they're all pleasantly lively-looking.

Spoiler
edit: I thought more of them had the scars; checked and corrected.
[close]

tanystropheus

That Triceratops has MINI written all over it. Whose idea was it to make it a normal scale figure?

On the plus side of things, Mattel's mini JP figures are quite decent.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Faelrin

Probably for the Baryonyx, although the Mojo is probably a close second. The Gallimimus I wouldn't really call accurate what with the lack of feathers and pronated wrists, but at least there's a commonly available cheap toy of it out there, considering nobody really bothers with ornithomimids much (outside of Deinocheirus really).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dilopho

Are there any variants with the raptors? I'm not sure if I should post in the comparison thread, but from what I've seen, some of the sculpts are unique? I think?
I know they all have different colours.

MoarCrossovers

Would any of those minis be considered close to 1:72/76 scale?

DragonRider02

PumperKrickel

deleted

Fembrogon

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on June 04, 2018, 10:18:26 PM
Quote from: MoarCrossovers on June 04, 2018, 09:02:58 PM

Carnotaurus, Baryonyx and Metriacanthosaurus should be relatively close.
For reference's sake, Baryonyx is about 4.5" long, Metri is under 3.5", and Carnotaurus is exactly 3.5".

Here are some quick photos comparing 12 of the 15 creatures to Safari minis:
Spoiler
[close]

By the way, to those of you unboxing your figures, are you keeping the boxes or throwing them away? My instinct is to keep them, but... They're taking up a lot of space, and a lot of these toys probably can't go back inside, so I might have to discard the boxes.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Fembrogon on June 05, 2018, 01:08:08 AM
Quote from: SuperiorSpider on June 04, 2018, 10:18:26 PM
Quote from: MoarCrossovers on June 04, 2018, 09:02:58 PM

Carnotaurus, Baryonyx and Metriacanthosaurus should be relatively close.
For reference's sake, Baryonyx is about 4.5" long, Metri is under 3.5", and Carnotaurus is exactly 3.5".

Here are some quick photos comparing 12 of the 15 creatures to Safari minis:
Spoiler
[close]

By the way, to those of you unboxing your figures, are you keeping the boxes or throwing them away? My instinct is to keep them, but... They're taking up a lot of space, and a lot of these toys probably can't go back inside, so I might have to discard the boxes.

I threw them out but I only have the T-rex and Carno. I will probably pick up a half dozen more toys.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.