News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel, Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom toys - new for 2018

Started by Takama, December 23, 2017, 04:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I believe I read somewhere, probably Jurassic Outpost, that Mattel plans on continuing the line even in non-movie years kind of like Hasbro with Star Wars or Transformers. Which this obviously shows, as well as the fact that this line seems to be doing gangbusters for Mattel.

tanystropheus

I think it is a great idea that Mattel is focusing on families or groups of dinosaurs in their line.

Pachy - Stiggy - Dracorex

Spino - Sucho - Baryonyx

Pteranodon - Dimorphodon - Rhamphorhynchus

Triceraptops - Pachy - Sinoceratops - Styraco - Protoceratops - Microceratus

Ankylosaurus - Minmi

Not too many lines do this. It's quite awesome.

ItsTwentyBelow

New releases are beginning to trickle out. However, don't expect it to happen all at once. Everything really depends on the retailer and the individuals in charge of the toy department.

I found the Ceratosaurus, Ankylosaurus, and Pteranodon today at a Fred Meyer that never got any of the wave 1 Roarivores. I'd never seen a Roarivore in person until today. I positively LEAPED on that Ceratosaurus!

It wasn't even in their computer system yet. Luckily the clerk overrode that and let me buy it!

Faelrin

If they really do keep this up then maybe we'll have a chance at seeing a Parasaurolophus from them, if not the sauropods (and of course the I. rex).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Stumbled across the Definitely Dinosaurs Stegosaurus while looking up the Ultrasaurus from the same line, the similarities between these two is a little too strong to be coincidental.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Loon on July 16, 2018, 04:18:00 AM
Stumbled across the Definitely Dinosaurs Stegosaurus while looking up the Ultrasaurus from the same line, the similarities between these two is a little too strong to be coincidental.

Also reminds me of the Tyco Stegosaurus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Loon on July 16, 2018, 04:18:00 AM

The similarities are stronger to the original DD Stegosaurus that had cream colored plates!

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Gwangi

Well, the Definitely Dinosaurs Stegosaurus and the Tyco Stegosaurus are basically the same thing, but I don't know which actually came first. I believe the Tyco did. The Mattel Stegosaurus looks like the Stegosaurus from the movie. Any similarity that I see is simply because they all use the same outdated Stegosaurus template.

Loon

I was referring to the colour schemes seeming quite similar, maybe one of the designers snuck in a little homage in terms of the coloration.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on July 16, 2018, 01:12:39 PM
Well, the Definitely Dinosaurs Stegosaurus and the Tyco Stegosaurus are basically the same thing, but I don't know which actually came first. I believe the Tyco did. The Mattel Stegosaurus looks like the Stegosaurus from the movie. Any similarity that I see is simply because they all use the same outdated Stegosaurus template.

Um, the Tyco one was the Dino-Riders electronic piece. Not really even basically the same unless you meant as " it's a Stegosaurus ".  It's not copied from, a bootleg, knockoff, or some such.  The Playskool Def Dino Stego was first, it came out along the same time as the Wave 1 Dino Riders, I had to choose between the Def Dino Rex and the Dino Rider one though I did eventually get both ;) 

I would have paid more for this paint job honestly.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 16, 2018, 06:23:31 PM

Um, the Tyco one was the Dino-Riders electronic piece. Not really even basically the same unless you meant as " it's a Stegosaurus ".  It's not copied from, a bootleg, knockoff, or some such.  The Playskool Def Dino Stego was first, it came out along the same time as the Wave 1 Dino Riders, I had to choose between the Def Dino Rex and the Dino Rider one though I did eventually get both ;) 

As I said, basically the same thing. Both apparently came out in 1987.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Gwangi on July 16, 2018, 07:34:01 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 16, 2018, 06:23:31 PM

As I said, basically the same thing. Both apparently came out in 1987.

They are incredibly similar in design. That's also why I love Mattel's Stegosaurus. It is like the spiritual successor to those models.

The original prototype for the Tyco DR Stegosaurus was scientifically accurate with better proportions and resembled their Kentrosaurus, but it was canceled for some reason.

Gwangi

Spiritual successor is a good way of putting it. In my review of it for the blog I said it was the best Stegosaurus action figure since the Tyco but I dare say it's the best ever. I do wish the tail was held higher though, all well.

That's the funny thing about the Tyco dinosaurs. Some are really outdated (Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus) while some are surprisingly modern (Kentrosaurus). The original Struthiomimus even had feathers!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Gwangi on July 16, 2018, 10:18:48 PM
Spiritual successor is a good way of putting it. In my review of it for the blog I said it was the best Stegosaurus action figure since the Tyco but I dare say it's the best ever. I do wish the tail was held higher though, all well.

That's the funny thing about the Tyco dinosaurs. Some are really outdated (Stegosaurus, Apatosaurus) while some are surprisingly modern (Kentrosaurus). The original Struthiomimus even had feathers!

People tend to forget, this look WAS Stegosaurus until the early 80s. Rumor has it the Tyco Kentrosaurus was actually Bakker's design for Stegosaurus but it was rejected for being too different from what kids expected Stegosaurus to look like. Then they changed up the plates and used the mold anyway for a different species.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

tanystropheus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on July 16, 2018, 10:49:23 PM

People tend to forget, this look WAS Stegosaurus until the early 80s. Rumor has it the Tyco Kentrosaurus was actually Bakker's design for Stegosaurus but it was rejected for being too different from what kids expected Stegosaurus to look like. Then they changed up the plates and used the mold anyway for a different species.

Yes, I do remember the prototype looking very similar to the Kentrosaurus.

tanystropheus

Tyco was legendary. There were 2 variants of the Struthiomimus (one was clearly feathered). My favorite was the Protoceratops. It could still pass for a modern reconstruction.

Saurolophus and Edmontonia looked like they were stuck in some weird in-between realm, transitioning from outdated to modern. The Dimetrodon doesn't look all that different from the recently released WS version, considering that it was released in the 80's.

There's a possibility that things might go full circle. Mattel owns the rights to Dino Riders. Imagine if they equip their JP Stegosaurus with armor and laser weapons?

CityRaptor

You know, I wonder if them having the JP/JW rights will push back their attempt at rebooting Dino Riders.  That being said, they are at least using the name at the moment, complete with a rather Dino Riders-esque logo.

Sadly it is just a bunch of Hot Wheels, most which are not particularly interesting ones:
http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Dino_Riders_Series
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

MLMjp

-How would you classify it Billy?
-It's a super-predator. Suchomimus, the snout.
-Think bigger.
-Baryonyx?
-Not with that sail.
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus.

Gwangi

That line of questioning always bothered me in JP3. As if any student of dinosauria would ever confuse Spinosaurus with another spinosaurid.  ::)

CityRaptor

Depends on how Oxalia looks.
You know, I always figured that Grant knew exactly what he saw but wanted to test Billy. Similar to the Gallimimus scene in the first JP where he did the same to Tim. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.