News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel, Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom toys - new for 2018

Started by Takama, December 23, 2017, 04:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

My favourite thing about these figures though is that there doesn't appear to be any dino-damage (save for some very nice scars on 'Rexy'). I can see some places where dino-damage might be concealed (back of the Triceratops and what I think is the Metriacanthosaurus), but the fact that they don't appear to be permanent fixtures on these figures is great.

Shadowknight1

Now that they're officially revealed, I must say that I really like that Allosaurus.  My only gripe is that they didn't enlarge the claw on the first finger.  I also like those other photographs of the big rex, the "ash" spots don't seem so crazy there.  I'd love to see more of Stygimoloch.  And...both Baryonyx AND Suchomimus?  That's neat!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

MLMjp

I am very very very happy.
Yes, they don't look as good as the old Kenners, but after the JW toy line, this feel like heaven! ;D ;D
A lot of toys look way better than what the leaked images shown. Others look terrible, but I see more stuff to like than to dislike.
They have a "peculiar" style, a more toy-like style, but still cool looking in his own way. And I actually like how colorful these are.
Is soo good having that feeling of "I finally have good looking toys for Jurassic Park". I must say, I am more excited for these toys and the Jurassic World Evolution game than for the Movie.

Now to comment some of these toys.
-Ceratosaurus: Fantastic
-Pachyrhinosaurus: Pretty good!
-Pteranodon: considering how weird the movie counterpart looks like, it is a nice representation.
-Mertiacanthosaurus: In the promotional pictures looks bad, but the actual toy is actually pretty decent.
-Allosaurus: Its ok-ish, I think it needs better paint. Hopefully it will look better in person.
-Ankylosaurus: The sculpt looks good, but again, needs better paint, hopping that it will look better in hand.
-Triceratops: I love it
-Baryonyx: I really like it.
-Stegosaurus: looks good.
-Suchomimus: Probably the most exaggerated and brightly colored of all, but I still like it.
-Carnotaurus: I love it.
-Mosasaurus: Is it too much asking for a a tail that is not upwards? Otherwise looks good.
-Tyrannosaurus rex: There is actually three, the super articulated one, the one who is also a teaching tool, and the BIG one. The supper articulated one look way better than in the leaked pictures. And the big one also looks very nice, albeit a little bit disproportionate in some areas. The head sculpt on these is spot-on.
The majority of the big dinosaurs look good....but the smaller ones.....
Blue is probably the best, and Dimorphodons look ok. But the green raptor and the Herrerasaurus are just bad, Dilophosaurus does not convince me, neither the Pachycephalosaurus juvenile Stygymoloch.
Wait, I though there was a leaked picture that show the Gallimimus with a different neck, cause that is the only thing that it is preventing of being a better figure.
About the humans, vehicles and such....Honesty I don't really care that much about those, but they look ok, some look better, some look worse, but nothing terrible.

Faelrin

More images?! Omg. I'm so excited for these. I really am. Especially at how big that giant T. rex is compared to everything. Jeez, that thing is going to seriously become the next best JP T. rex since Kenner's. Seems like this one might even be bigger. The head sculpt is spot on too (and the color scheme), after all these years. I can't wait. I gotta get it so badly. That said...

I've already seen leaks of the Attack Pack figures, and I wasn't hugely impressed by the lack of paint apps on them back then. Same for now, but honestly considering how expensive that T. rex is going to be (over $50 from what I've seen elsewhere), cutting down on the paint apps will mean those will be cheaper, thus more figures to buy in the long run. I mean at least Blue is more film accurate here then with the Hasbro figures. I find it interesting there seems to be repaints of the Dimorphodon, the Velociraptor, and even the Dilophosaurus too.

The Stygimoloch also has a name! "Stiggy" (which is honestly the kind of name I would have come up with). Maybe that's why we've seen so much focus on it with the merchandising.

Alright my wishlist is now looking to be like this: That giant Tyrannosaurus, Mosasaurus, Carnotaurus, Stegosaurus, Baryonyx, Blue (Attack Pack) (Edit: The Blue from the Blue and Owen set looks much better. I may as well go with that), Stiggy the Stygimoloch (Attack Pack), the Ceratosaurus, maybe the Gallimimus, since there finally is one after all these years. Edit: Forgot to mention I plan to get the Indoraptor too. I might even consider the Triceratops, and possibly the Dilophosaurus, although I favor Kenner's water squirter figure for film accurate colors (even if the frill is iconic). The blue one's paint apps are close, but too bad it isn't green. I can honestly understand why there are no (large) figures of the sauropods, but a rubbernecked Apatosaurus would have been nice. I'm so glad there aren't any forced Dino Damage seen on these (aside from the anatomy T. rex, which is very much like Kenner's TLW Allosaurus).

Edit: Watched a video and I'm thinking the Mosasaurus even has that second row of teeth on its jaw. Hope I'm not wrong. Also that medium sized T. rex doesn't seem as bad as it looked before, head sculpt and proportions wise (I mean minus all the seams, but those are for the articulation and play feature). Lol, just now am I realizing that the T. rex with more seam lines is more in scale with the other figures then the giant one. I still want it though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

A definite improvement over Hasbro's wares, especially the Ceratosaurus. And that take-apart T. rex is nifty.

Also, is the resemblance between the Mattel and Mojo Fun Baryonyx figures just a coincidence?

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IrritatorRaji

suspsy

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I actually think some of these are much better than their Kenner equivalents, the Kenner figures were far more stylized and it didn't always work out. At the very least I think these are more consistent in quality and style, some of the "extra" species from the Kenner lines stuck out like sore thumbs (just compare both Gallimimus).

PhilSauria

A mixed bag here for sure but I think that it's safe to say that I'll be throwing cash in the direction of some of these! That Mosasaur, for one and maybe big rexy (with its big feet), to name just two. Not a year that collectors' will be saving money - just the opposite!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on February 16, 2018, 11:39:07 PM
My favourite thing about these figures though is that there doesn't appear to be any dino-damage (save for some very nice scars on 'Rexy'). I can see some places where dino-damage might be concealed (back of the Triceratops and what I think is the Metriacanthosaurus), but the fact that they don't appear to be permanent fixtures on these figures is great.

It was mentioned a bit back on JPToys, that we would be getting dino damage back again, but the damage would have the classic skin patches to cover it up Kenner came up with.  :)

Flaffy

Oh my oh my, these certainly do look better than Hasbro's dollar store trash! So glad they decided to did the line in scale, like in the Kenner days that I sadly never got to enjoy. For once in my life I'm actually considering getting the vehicles and humans along with the dinosaurs to make my own dioramas  ;D, something I've never done before.

"Roarivores":
They already look better than Hasbro's "Growlers". The skin detail is amazing and most of the sculpts are fantastic (or film accurate)!
Thank god the Pachyrhino actually looks like the real thing. Quite fond of the Bary's new colours, and a good size too. The Anky is unsightly, but true to the JW version of the creature, thin, tall and with that god awful parrot beak. Was not expecting a wonderful Cerato, very nice surprise. The Metri looks a lot better than the leaked images, but the curved toe claws don't feel right. The rest are average, acceptable JW toys, Kenner and Hasbro's Showdown line did a better job on the Allo though.

Super-Articulated / large series:
While the Suchomimus looks a bit silly, the Stego and Carno both look fantastic! Funny how the arms on the toy Carno is more accurate to the real thing than in the movie, and the action gimmick on this thing is so smooth.Wish they got rid of the goofy sail on the Sucho, and gave it crocodile-like back scales like they did on the mosasaurus.

Mosasaurus:
What can I say? It's fabulous. Wish the proportions were better, but the real feel, the sculpt detail, and the enormous size are sure to keep a child (or a collector ;)) entertained for hours on end.

Humans (and vehicles):
Never really cared for character figures, might pick up an Owen or Claire just so my dinos have something to eat and attack. Expected a bit more out of the mini figures and accessories that accompanied the characters, seems a little lazy and lackluster. The trike, stego and anky could've easily been tweaked to look like actual baby dinos, or better yet, include exclusive dinosaur figures like Compsognathus or Microceratus that can only be bought alongside character figures.
The vehicles are nice, looks like there was actual effort in designing and making them screen accurate, nice hunks of plastic that protects our beloved characters from the onslaught of dinosaurs  >:D

Mini Dino 3 Pack / Blind Packs:
I don't care for mini dinos or blind packs. But I will pick up the sets that include the Apatosaurus and Parasaurolophus. Such a shame we didn't get to see them made into full sized figures. Darn Universal, shooting down our dreams to have a sizeable Sauropod figure from the JP/JW toy line. The Para I hope to see one day in the rumoured "Classic" line if all goes well, in it's authentic TLW colours.

The 3 rexes:
What's a Jurassic Park toy line without a T.rex  ;)? The smaller super-articulated Tyrannosaurus looks to be around the same size to the previous Kenner Rexes, action feature is similar to the Trasher Rex, the seams are still bugging me though. The anatomy kit reminds me of the Kenner Medical Centre Allosaurus, not too interested in this sort of gimmick, but kids might have fun with ripping apart poor Rexy, and loosing a few pieces in the process.
And finally, the long anticipated Giant Rex, definitely considering to pick up this bad boy. The real feel skin looks amazing, and the scars are a nice touch. Hopefully Kenner used a better rubber/foam than Hasbro did, which was prone to ripping. The gimmick on this one seems to be like what the Bull T.rex had. The price is acceptable as well.

Small figures:
Okay this line is a mixed bag. Little Stiggy seems alright, the colours are really good on her, but then we have stuff like the green raptor and the blue Dilo, which to me are hideous. Mattel should've just gone for something like the Kenner spitter Dilo with a detachable frill, and is it really that hard to get the head of the Dilo right?
Unless we're going to see raptors other than Blue, the green raptor is going straight into the trash. The Dimorphodons are surprisingly decent, I assume they're going to be sold in a 2 pack with different colours.
Finally we get a screen accurate Gallimimus, the Kenner one was too stylised for my taste. A neutral pose would've been a lot better though. A shame that most of the small figures suffer from bad posing.
It's rather curious that Mattel decided to include relatively obscure creatures like the Herrera, Protoceratops and Minmi in the lineup. I welcome all of them with open arms. The Minmi looks pretty weird and cartoony though not gonna lie, but Ankylosaurs were never Jurassic Park's strong suit.

Overall, Mattel has done an excellent job with their newly acquired license, they better not hoard the license and do nothing with it for 15 years like Hasbro did. Surprised they didn't reveal (or make) any buildings and enclosures for our dinos to break into or break out of, or milk the living hell out of baby Blue and the volcano, very interesting indeed, or maybe they didn't produce them in time, who knows.
Can't wait to see what Mattel has in store for the Jurassic World line in the future  :))

Brontozaurus

Quote from: mgaguilar on February 16, 2018, 11:19:55 PM
Wow, with these new round of photos, the textures of these Dino's look amazing! Definitely getting that spitting Dilophosaurus. The sculpt looks great! Did Mattel win the ability to sculpt for the entire Jurassic franchise because of the 25th anniversary?

Probably more that Hasbro clearly didn't care much about doing a good job for JW and that cost them the license after the movie turned out to be a smash hit.

And this was clearly the right decision because my god these toys look great. I love that they're colourful; clearly Mattel has a better design sense than whoever decided that the movie dinosaurs should all be shades of blah.

Hopefully Mattel also cares more about distributing the toys than Hasbro did because I'd definitely be picking these up if I saw them in a store.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

ItsTwentyBelow

Compared to what we've seen from Jurassic Park toy lines for the last 15+ years, these are f***ing awesome!!

I'm excited that they're already dipping into obscure species that won't necessarily be in the movie or the other marketing, like Herrerasaurus. Even if it is a bit Jurassic Park-ified, I welcome more figures like that. I'd buy it if I saw it on a shelf. 200 figures? Let's see if they do extinct mammals too!

Reminds me of looking at the back of a Kenner Jurassic Park Series II figure as a kid and seeing the Carnotaurus, Lycaenops, Ornithosuchus, etc.

Archinto

Now that's what I'm talking about! Those are so awesome! Well played Mattel, well played!
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think it was said the real feel skin was skipped on the big Rex in the end due to cost cutting. 

Mattel has so much planned that isn't even shown yet...I wouldn't be surprised if the line does well they will be able to add in more things for us, playsets, other dinos, I think for a  first run out to really get kids into it they've done a great job.

I'm even considering getting that darn submersible.. it can go in the water and lights up!?  Talk about fun with it and the Mosa!

IrritatorRaji

Mosa, Rex, Indoraptor, and more!

(Tried to leave out most human and vehicle figures)

Image overload incoming!!

(Oh no, Blue's feet :/ )

Jose S.M.

Some of this looks very nice, Baryonyx, Carnotaurus, Allosaurus, Stegosaurus and even the Metriacanthosaurus look good. I like the Gallimimus and Stiggy too and I want yo to see more pictures of the Protoceratops to get its complete look.

MLMjp

A video showcasing the action features of the toys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vazpp75AeFw

PhilSauria

Holy cow!! That that Mosasaur is huge - two hands to hold it huge! A must have for me. I think I'd better open a new bank account just for this one - lord know's what the price tag will be. This and the rex look like being the biggies of the range. If I manege to get hold of one of these it will easily be the largest Dinosaur-related figure I own.

Reptilia

Why the heck Pachyrhinosaurus and Ceratosaurus are bigger than Triceratops and Allosaurus?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.