News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel, Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom toys - new for 2018

Started by Takama, December 23, 2017, 04:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaprosaurus

stargatedalek

Why is that imaginext set so good... I hate that it's so good! I thought I was finally done with that series years ago. I'm kind of blown away by this, imaginext has been going steadily downhill for the last decade even with their licensed products but this actually looks pretty good.

Honestly I don't understand what some of you were possibly expecting, this wasn't a new "dinosaur toy line" this is a new "Jurassic Park toy line". There was never going to be non-shrink-wrapped dinosaurs, and with the articulation they were always going to need something to help them stand up (IE tripod poses). I don't mean to sound aggressive but it seems a few people here had unreasonable expectations.

The holes are definitely for speakers, that's the standard shape speaker holes have always used on JP figures (and no, I'm not kidding). They're also on the battery compartment which I find interesting, I wonder if the whole electronic compartment comes out (presumably just in the prototypes).

Flaffy

QuoteHonestly I don't understand what some of you were possibly expecting
Well for me, after seeing the pretty nice Rexy head sculpt tease from Mattel (at the very least it can be easily recognised as JP Tyrannosaurus), I kinda expected the overall line's quality to be decently ahead of Hasbro's trash.
So far, Mattel is doing the same old stuff as Hasbro, but just a little better. It's as if Mattel's aiming to be above average, rather than good. I really do hope the rest of the line is impressive, but so far they're not convincing me that they're much better than Hasbro.

Joey

Quote from: Faelrin on December 23, 2017, 08:13:36 AM
Quote from: Joey on December 23, 2017, 07:07:03 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on December 23, 2017, 06:01:02 AM
Edit: Just saw there is an Imaginext set leak on JPToys. The Blue figure there actually has the right colors. Wow. Hope the same for the potential Blue figure from this Mattel lineup.
Can you give us a link? I'm just interested to see the leaked set, and also I tried looking on JPToys and didn't find anything.

I should have been more clear. It was from their forum. Here's a link though: http://dinodan.proboards.com/thread/8332/first-fallen-kingdom-imaginext-leaked
Thank you Faelrin!
The set actually doesn't look bad at all!  ;D

spinosaurus1

carnotaurus looks pretty decent. far better then any hasbro figure might i add.

indoraptor

*Image links removed at the request of Mattel, Inc. - C:-) Admin*

SpartanSquat

Some people say its fake but this is real? I saw in JPToys a Mattel employee said to delete to avoid leaks, anybody can confirm this?

stargatedalek

These look amazing! A giant mosasaur even!

This is gonna be an expensive year.

Jose S.M.

I can't see the Carnotaurus eye in that photo? I'm on my phone so maybe it's because of that, but I can't see it.

Flaffy

-deleted-
(double post, see below)

terrorchicken

the carno is alright except for the humongous feet. The rest is a big pass for me. More money to spend on catching up on Safari and Collecta, so I guess thats good.

Flaffy

Bobble heads and clown feet... Bobble heads and clown feet everywhere...
If these are official, I have lost hope for this line.
The Mosa, Stygi and Carno are all disproportionate messes. The detailing is a lot better than Hasbro's though, gotta give credit when credit is due. The paint on the carno looks neat as well.
In terms of proportions, even the JW Pachycephalosaurus looks better than the Stygi, it honestly looks like a chinasaur.
The Carno is mildly adequate, at least it has tiny arms. I guess it's the best out of the bunch?
Although the Mosasaur is an improvement over the seam adorned Hasbro one (and it's already one of Hasbro's better offerings), I can't get past it's humongous head.

There have been rumours that the mystery ceratopsid is in fact a Pachyrhinosaurus

According to this image.
Yeah....

Shonisaurus

The carnotaurus of Mattel does not have to envy to any dinosaur not articulated, although as they know the people of the forum I am not in favor of articulated figures although they are in their minimum measurement. It's my favorite theropod.

On the other hand Mattel's mosasaurus does not seem as finished as a toy although it looks huge. But obviously the mosasaurus is based on the figure of his film Jurassic World both in his painting and his figure so I can not for my part censor much that figure. Another thing is the Mattel stygimoloch that is superior to toy dinosaur companies like Geoworld.

The Matter metricanthosaurus I see as a rather old-fashioned figure, with colors too poor and somewhat lackluster and with a tripod posture that recalls the ancient paleoartistic representations that were made of those dinosaurs. It seems that it has like a hump according to my appreciations it reminds me of the megalosaurus of Crystal Palace in London in a certain way.

The allosaurus Mattel although it is smaller I like it much more although the volume of the body is narrower than the head. His colors are perfect and it is a good Mattel toy.

Finally my favorite in the theropods is the baryonyx whose painting is conservative (as I like in the dinosaurs) but less bland and more realistic than many figures of toy dinosaurs not articulated.

In general those figures (although I have to point out that I will not be one of the buyers) seems to me in a high percentage well done and based on the Jurassic World movie.

Lanthanotus

Faelrin

I'm flipping out on that Carnotaurus. It looks good enough for me. Even if the feet are probably oversized, and the tail could have some more meat on it, but it doesn't look as much as a rat tail as it does on the Allosaurus seen earlier. I'm wondering if this one is not electronic. Would be neat if it is though (assuming it had film accurate sounds). The colors seem pretty close to film accurate too. Here's to hoping it has the thin head like the one in the film (and the real animal as well). I hope that's an articulated jaw I'm seeing there, and not part of some gimmick. The Mosasaurus looks good too. It looks closer to the one seen in the (first) film due to the scutes on its back, colors aside. Well and here is the first real look at the Indoraptor. Well at least it lives up to the raptor part of the name, and it does seem to be black after all, but I don't care for it much at all, in comparison to the Indominus rex. Stygimoloch looks okay too.

The more I think about the Baryonyx, I think I might go with it. It does seem to have the "fish hook" claws, and the skull is pretty close to being good. The colors (dark, with blue around the eye) seem to match up with what the maquette had shown in the making of video too. Incidentally the maqeutte also a head that was closer to the real thing then the one seen in the trailer, in regards to the notch in the jaw.

Honestly these have me impressed so far. Really hoping these do not have the screw holes on the side like the Hasbro JW figures, but even so no dino damage on these visible sides so that is a major plus. I mean this is like as close as it can probably get to Kenner quality (mostly for the lack of forced dino damage and close to film accurate colors), assuming the figures are scaled with each other too, assuming that picture is anything to go by (also how odd that the Sinoceratops is supposed to be a Pachyrhinosaurus. I wonder if it is an error, considering that there were rumors of Pachyrhinosaurus being in the film, though that is clearly not a Pachyrhinosaurus.

Edit: I remember reading about this toyline on Jurassic Outpost a while back, and they mentioned that some of the figures would have "cartoony" proportions, and that figures would be in scale. They also mentioned two T. rex figures. I'm starting to think the information given then was right. I'd post a link, but it seems like the site is down right now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Joey

My opinions:
Carnotaurus: Nice overall, except for the oversized feet. Kind of reminds me of the late 2017/early 2018 Schleich Carnotaurus. I'd say the head and color scheme are the highlights of that toy.
Mosasaurus: Very nice, movie accurate (and hopefully big) representation of the Mosasaurus! The only issues I have with this toy are the oversized head and short torso.
Indoraptor: Since we don't really know what it looks like in the movie, it is hard to say if it is movie accurate or not, but it looks nice anyways to me.
Stygimoloch: Just mediocre. The oversized feet, long legs, huge head and too bright of a color scheme all make it a pretty mediocre toy. Just nothing else I can really say about it.

Joey

Quote from: Flaffy on December 23, 2017, 05:54:01 PM
There have been rumours that the mystery ceratopsid is in fact a Pachyrhinosaurus

According to this image.
Yeah....
So, literally Patchi from WwD but with an actual horn.

dinoMD

Wow, these are infinitely better than Hasbro's JW lineup which was just an insult to collectors and fans of the franchise.  Thank bob they lost the license!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome, def feeling the Kenner vibe from these!   There is supposed to be a general toy line and a collector line if i recall, hard to tell what these are from exactly.

Shonisaurus

To me honestly, the two figures that I like the most are Mattel's carnotaurus (above all) and the baryonyx. Although that does not mean that you are going to buy them. But honestly those two figures look good.

I like carnotaurus. It is a pretty greedy figure.

Kaprosaurus

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.