News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Gary Armer: "Life Finds A Way"

Started by grantharding, September 17, 2023, 09:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grantharding

The artist Gary Armer, who paints a lot of pictures of toys, has won the 2022 British Art Prize for his painting "Life Finds a Way," which features a number of Safari and Invicta (and other) dinosaurs. It's cool to see them showing up in capital-A Art.

https://www.garyarmer.co.uk/life-finds-a-way/

Fossilized-Rubber

Well, that's one way to quadruple the value of your dinosaur collection.
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

Halichoeres

Holy cow, that's a painting? I would have believed you if you told me it was a photo.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres For real. Definitely could have fooled me. But looking at the images that shows the progress, and if you zoom in on the final image, you can make out bits that expose its true nature. Just wow, that's mind boggling skill, and no doubt from someone with a lot of experience doing this sort of stuff.

Also kind of reminds me of those still life paintings with various fruit, etc, but with like a more relevant subject to our little space on the net here. It's incredible work, and good to see he was awarded for the effort it likely entailed.

Edit: Here's his instagram if anyone would like to give him a follow. He's got a lot of other wonderful pieces based on other classic figures.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

BlueKrono

Is that the Invicta Stenonychosaurus? That one's pretty rare.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Saarlooswolfhound

Libraraptor

JohannesB

What a great idea for a painting 8) Very inspiring as well.

Gwangi

I've seen it before on social media, it's an outstanding pieces. The likeness of each toy was captured perfectly, you could swear it was a photograph at first glance.  I wonder if prints of it are available, would love that framed next to my collection!

ceratopsian

I came across it recently via social media too.  Quite amazing.  I bet Anthony Beeson would have loved to have added it to his huge collection!

CityRaptor

At first I though it was some sort of frame containing actual toys. That's an impressive piece.

Ironically it is missing any Jurassic Park figures. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Crackington

It looks like one of those ebay dinosaur joblots, but wonderfully reimagined. Beautiful work.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on October 03, 2023, 12:58:41 PMI've seen it before on social media, it's an outstanding pieces. The likeness of each toy was captured perfectly, you could swear it was a photograph at first glance.  I wonder if prints of it are available, would love that framed next to my collection!

Yeah, that was my reaction on the other thread.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

I had to grab a copy of this magazine. It has high quality pics of it as well as his story of how it came to be.
https://pocketmags.com/us/artist-and-illustrators-magazine/december-2022
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 04, 2023, 07:23:10 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 03, 2023, 12:58:41 PMI've seen it before on social media, it's an outstanding pieces. The likeness of each toy was captured perfectly, you could swear it was a photograph at first glance.  I wonder if prints of it are available, would love that framed next to my collection!

Yeah, that was my reaction on the other thread.

Topics merged.  C:-)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.