News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Sea Monsters figures

Started by Yutyrannus, August 13, 2012, 01:39:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yutyrannus

Does anyone know if the Sea Monsters figures will ever be released? I've always wanted this one.

[attachment msg=16113][/attachment]

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

SBell

Quote from: Yutyrannus on August 13, 2012, 01:39:17 AM
Does anyone know if the Sea Monsters figures will ever be released? I've always wanted this one.

No. You will never see those figures in production, and the prototypes/show models were destroyed/garbaged.  Apparently they didn't receive enough initial interest when they announced the line (the figures and the cool, really big plushes) so tehy just didn't make them--but they did make plastic cameras and wooden block puzzles  ::)  The line came out weakly in late 2008--a few magnet sets, some other trinkets, and a few plushes (brown Pteranodon, Cretoxyrhina, Dolichorhynchops) but the whole line was axed in 2009/2010--the T.rex Centre got the last of any of the marine reptile plushes in 2011, but they are long gone now.

Personally, I think that National Geographic was not served well by their licensing arrangement--the line amounted to nothing.

ZoPteryx

What a shame, that's a beautiful figure! :'(  So, no saved molds or anything?  And what were the other figures they planned to release?

SBell

Quote from: Zopteryx on August 13, 2012, 02:40:44 AM
What a shame, that's a beautiful figure! :'(  So, no saved molds or anything?  And what were the other figures they planned to release?

Styxosaurus, Bananogmius (or one of the other fish...), Dolichorhyncops, and of course the Tylosaurus and Cretoxyrhina.

And as far as I know, nothing was kept.

tanystropheus

What a loss, could have been the start of a lovely line... :(

SBell

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 13, 2012, 04:50:10 AM
It would always have been a one-off. It was meant to tie to the National Geographic Sea Monsters movie, and pretty much featured all the larger characters in the run (I think the shark with the Tylosaurus was actually Squalicorax--but Cretoxyrhina was also in the set).

I was still quite angry that the line never happened, especially as they failed to actually send out anything to stores to actually bring them in.

Seijun

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Roselaar

That's a great loss, that figure looks lovely! :( I can't imagine why they would simply destroy what prototypes they had of these figures though, that just seems an utter waste.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2012, 05:50:58 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on August 13, 2012, 04:50:10 AM
It would always have been a one-off. It was meant to tie to the National Geographic Sea Monsters movie, and pretty much featured all the larger characters in the run (I think the shark with the Tylosaurus was actually Squalicorax--but Cretoxyrhina was also in the set).

I was still quite angry that the line never happened, especially as they failed to actually send out anything to stores to actually bring them in.

It would have been rather nice to see full-fledged figures of these obscure prehistoric reptiles/fish--the Safari Ltd. prehistoric sharks/sea life toobs are the closest mass-market representations available (Kaiyodos are not altogether accessible).  Perhaps, someday they will give individualized attention to select species found in their toobs...

Jetoar

I look forward to see these figures in my hands but i am sorry that Wild Republic dint made these figures finally  :'(.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SBell

Quote from: Jetoar on August 31, 2012, 03:30:52 PM
I look forward to see these figures in my hands but i am sorry that Wild Republic dint made these figures finally  :'(.

I don't think these will be getting made anytime soon, or anything similar--you'll have to hunt down ones made by CollectA, Safari, etc.

Jetoar

Quote from: SBell on August 31, 2012, 03:59:42 PM
Quote from: Jetoar on August 31, 2012, 03:30:52 PM

I don't think these will be getting made anytime soon, or anything similar--you'll have to hunt down ones made by CollectA, Safari, etc.

Thanks  ^-^ !. I bought Collecta TYlosaurus and Dolichorhychops and I will buy carnegie Tylosaurus in Ebay.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Balaur

I'm so upset. That was a lovely figure! Detailed and everything! Noooooooooo!!!!!!! (  :'(  )

DC

I saw the prototypes at Toy Fair, it was sad that even the prototypes disappeared.
National Geographic has not picked good partners since they broke with Safari decades ago to go with Play Vision.  You see the same pattern over and over again. Distributors that specialize in inexpensive mass figures trying to move up market by getting an endorsement.  Retailers are not comfortable spending $ for high end products from low end distributors.  K&M is in many Museum shops and independent stores but they supply inexpensive impulse buys not high end collectables.   For that retailers are more comfortable with companies with quality production resumes like Safari or Papo.  It takes time to bulid a rep.  I think you can find most of the figures in the Safari Toobs with the Mosasurs from  Safari or COlellctA. 

The Caproberyx and Styxosaurus have not been done by anyone else.  The figures were supposed to be bendable.       

[attachment msg=19438][/attachment]
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Bokisaurus

Quote from: DC on September 23, 2012, 02:42:37 PM
I saw the prototypes at Toy Fair, it was sad that even the prototypes disappeared.
National Geographic has not picked good partners since they broke with Safari decades ago to go with Play Vision.  You see the same pattern over and over again. Distributors that specialize in inexpensive mass figures trying to move up market by getting an endorsement.  Retailers are not comfortable spending $ for high end products from low end distributors.  K&M is in many Museum shops and independent stores but they supply inexpensive impulse buys not high end collectables.   For that retailers are more comfortable with companies with quality production resumes like Safari or Papo.  It takes time to bulid a rep.  I think you can find most of the figures in the Safari Toobs with the Mosasurs from  Safari or COlellctA. 

The Caproberyx and Styxosaurus have not been done by anyone else.  The figures were supposed to be bendable.     

It's sad indeed, they should have just released it, after all, there were already some produced. Oh well....

Ikessauro

I'm sure those would be awesome! And if they had release some at least to try the market they would be pretty collectable by now.

Rez

Here's another picture of a figure from the line..  always remembered it because I always wanted it.   Total bummer, this would have been one of my favorites.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Rez on October 03, 2012, 09:01:45 PM
Here's another picture of a figure from the line..  always remembered it because I always wanted it.   Total bummer, this would have been one of my favorites.

Wow, that's quite impressive--Even if you were to keep it MIB, it looks worthwhile!

stoneage

Their the best figures that I know of that never got produced.  I wish I had some big pictures of them.  Someday I hope someone puts out something similiar.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: