News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA—New for 2020

Started by suspsy, October 31, 2019, 08:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres had asked me earlier about the ID on the CollectA 2020 horseshoe crab. Now that it is available, and some pics are out (STS forum), I am thinking it is the Atlantic horseshoe crab, and this is my reasoning:

1. While the first three lateral spines are longer, this can be seen in some females of the Atlantic as well as the Japanese species.
2. the armature on the prosoma is much more like the Atlantic species (the Japanese species has less-pronounced spines above the eyes)
3. the comparison of the length of the prosoma and the telson are more inline with the Atlantic

DragonRider02

Damn, that Caviramus looks sooo good! I love how vibrant the red color on the head is. Now I kinda regret spending all my pocket money on Transformers instead of getting one lol.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 03, 2020, 03:47:43 PM
Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on September 03, 2020, 11:53:18 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 03, 2020, 06:33:43 AM
Thank you. It's a great model with a wonderful pose, that helps.

I usually don't collect the flyers but these big CollectA models are so tempting. I wonder how durable they are because it would be fun to have one on my balcony. But I am afraid the birds would use it as their toilet...

I've had 4 Guidracos, 2 Dimorphodons, 3 Cauijara , and now 2 of these Caviramus outdoors since they released with no issues. They are kind of small to get bird droppings, unlike my bigger statues in the park.  My concern would be squirrels or chipmunks that like to gnaw on things. Maybe try a clear matte coat on them to prevent it?

Yeah, I think a sealant would be good. We don't have munks and squirrels are the red kind, so they usually stay in the woods. But I have lots of curious magpies and doves that love to explore whatever I put up.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 03, 2020, 05:51:08 PM
This may have been discussed elsewhere, but avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres had asked me earlier about the ID on the CollectA 2020 horseshoe crab. Now that it is available, and some pics are out (STS forum), I am thinking it is the Atlantic horseshoe crab, and this is my reasoning:

1. While the first three lateral spines are longer, this can be seen in some females of the Atlantic as well as the Japanese species.
2. the armature on the prosoma is much more like the Atlantic species (the Japanese species has less-pronounced spines above the eyes)
3. the comparison of the length of the prosoma and the telson are more inline with the Atlantic

Thanks B @bmathison1972  that's helpful. I saw someone online suggest it's intended as †Mesolimulus, but the spines look quite different to my eye.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 07, 2020, 07:26:36 PM

Thanks B @bmathison1972  that's helpful. I saw someone online suggest it's intended as †Mesolimulus, but the spines look quite different to my eye.

It's possible they modeled it after an extinct species, but if they had one would assume they would have given it a proper name, as they did the Redlichia rex. If an extant species, L. polyphemus is the best option.

Halichoeres

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 07, 2020, 08:03:37 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 07, 2020, 07:26:36 PM

It's possible they modeled it after an extinct species, but if they had one would assume they would have given it a proper name, as they did the Redlichia rex. If an extant species, L. polyphemus is the best option.

Yeah, I agree with that assessment.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Wandering

Man CollectA had some really fun releases this year! I was happy to see someone produced a decent Lisowicia! though is it just me or does it feel so small in hand?

suspsy

Quote from: Wandering on September 13, 2020, 10:33:07 PM
Man CollectA had some really fun releases this year! I was happy to see someone produced a decent Lisowicia! though is it just me or does it feel so small in hand?

It's just you.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Bokisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on September 14, 2020, 01:24:41 AM

It's just you.
Yup, I agree, that figure is massive in person!😂

bmathison1972

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 14, 2020, 01:27:27 AM

It's just you.

It's big, but not overly big, at least for my tastes :-).

Mellow Stego

Quote from: bmathison1972 on September 14, 2020, 01:31:55 AM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 14, 2020, 01:27:27 AM

It's just you.

It's big, but not overly big, at least for my tastes :-).

Sorry, just started watching the office...
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

suspsy

Minizoo restocked, so I ordered the remaining Paleozoic critters along with the Saltriovenator. Now the only 2020 toy left on my list is the Papo Megaloceros.

bmathison1972

Quote from: suspsy on September 18, 2020, 02:21:42 AM
Minizoo restocked, so I ordered the remaining Paleozoic critters along with the Saltriovenator. Now the only 2020 toy left on my list is the Papo Megaloceros.

I just ordered the last three CollectA I want: horseshoe crab, mountain gorilla, and Tyrol grey cow.

Unfortunately I have about a dozen Papo things on my wishlist (mainly because they are releasing 6 arthropods LOL), but I also want the sailfish, edible snail, Irish elk, common pheasant, European mole, golden jackal, and probably the cormorant.

Mattyonyx

About the Saltriovenator, I hope to have everything ready for the review byTuesday.

suspsy

Quote from: Mattyonyx on September 20, 2020, 12:57:46 PM

About the Saltriovenator, I hope to have everything ready for the review byTuesday.

Cool!

Faelrin

Thought I would let folks know, in case anyone is interested, that Happy Hen Toys has all(?) the new 2020 releases, such as the invertebrates, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on October 04, 2020, 12:42:03 AM
Thought I would let folks know, in case anyone is interested, that Happy Hen Toys has all(?) the new 2020 releases, such as the invertebrates, etc.

Good to know. It's been hard to get these in North America, so I'm glad to hear they're carrying them.

Gwangi

I'm still waiting for Dejankins to get them, which should be soon. That Happy Hen Toys got them is a good sign.

Loon

Has anyone identified the species of the Belemnite or Pleuroceras yet?

Rossano

Quote from: Loon on November 01, 2020, 08:15:21 PM
Has anyone identified the species of the Belemnite or Pleuroceras yet?

I have the same question, does anyone have an idea of the species or genus of this model?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.