News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Updating forum icons

Started by Sim, January 06, 2020, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Quote from: Takama on January 08, 2020, 02:02:55 AM
I like the idea of the Other toys and Collectibles section being iconed by a rebor product.

But how about we drive the point a little further by makeing the icon there X-rex instead of Stegosaurus?     

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 08, 2020, 02:07:33 AM
Why not REBOR's Komodo Dragon?

I put stegosaurus, since I wanted to represent many different groups of extinct animals, and wanted to feature stegosaurs in some way. Komodos are still extant, and I think putting the xenomorph rex is no better than having a Godzilla figure in the list. I'd like the icons of the forum to stay in line with the site's extinct, real world animal theme.

suspsy

I think the Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo is more deserving of a spot than the thylacine.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Loon

Quote from: suspsy on January 08, 2020, 02:38:35 AM
I think the Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo is more deserving of a spot than the thylacine.

I was actually going to put the Diprotodon. But, I thought Thylacine well with the theme of "news" since it is so recently extinct. But thylacoleo would work just as well. I'll update it again.

Syndicate Bias

I'm ok with the figure general discussion icon in all honesty but for Resin kits I don't think I've seen a good choice yet for representation I gave a long reply but I'll just edit it and shorten it to nothing for now. There's other kits that are more iconic/different than the usual types. But since we aren't going off of obscurity I'd like to see Paleocraft's Concavenator or Sean Cooper's Carcharodontosaurus or at the very least Cen Dao Yi's Giganotosaurus or Deinonychus (I butchered it I'm sorry) or his Ceratosaurus vs Stegosaurus diorama kit.

There's also Mo Models Argentinosaurus and many more but those are some off the top of my head that would be nice to have on there. Then again I have no say anyways lol

If the Feathered Rex wasn't in figures I would've said Cen Dao Yi's or David Krentz's newest model because those tyrannosaurs are beautiful imo.

Loon

If we'd be using a resin kit, I originally had Black Horse's Stygimoloch, which I feel is one of the nicer resin kits of the past couple of years.ill put that back, as I was never committed to having Lego on there, and pachycephalosaurs are a group I feel should be represented.

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on January 08, 2020, 04:26:09 AM
I'm ok with the figure general discussion icon in all honesty but for Resin kits I don't think I've seen a good choice yet for representation I gave a long reply but I'll just edit it and shorten it to nothing for now. There's other kits that are more iconic/different than the usual types. But since we aren't going off of obscurity I'd like to see Paleocraft's Concavenator or Sean Cooper's Carcharodontosaurus or at the very least Cen Dao Yi's Giganotosaurus or Deinonychus (I butchered it I'm sorry) or his Ceratosaurus vs Stegosaurus diorama kit.

There's also Mo Models Argentinosaurus and many more but those are some off the top of my head that would be nice to have on there. Then again I have no say anyways lol

If the Feathered Rex wasn't in figures I would've said Cen Dao Yi's or David Krentz's newest model because those tyrannosaurs are beautiful imo.

Mr. Cen Daoyi has never made a Deinonychus. I think you are referring to his Utahraptor, that is a great statue, I once owned one and used it as my twitter banner for a long time.

Only one Chinese sculptor has made Deinonychus statues, and he sculptured 2 versions of it(one is feathered version in 2014 and another is traditional JP style in 2016), I have both 2 of them. don't know his name, if anyone knows can tell me. Here are the photos:

For me about resin kit, I would choose Matsumura Shinobu's Triceratops, Mike Trcic's Dromaeosaurus, and Tony McVey's Deinonychus 'Bird Watcher'. I already own these models or will soon have one of them (Tong McVey's Deinonychus is on the way sending to my hands), they are Very good artwork and can represent an era.
If there are other options, the Horizon JP series will undoubtedly be my fancy.

Killekor

Quote from: Loon on January 07, 2020, 09:29:56 PM
God, no Godzilla please.

My personal opinion is that the models chosen as icons for the boards should be related to the content of the boards. That's why I suggested Godzilla, because I wanted a non-prehistoric model that still suited with the dinosaur theme.

Quote from: Loon on January 08, 2020, 01:31:05 AM
I updated the list again, sorry. I added Southlands Replicas and Safari (I'll never forgive myself for forgetting them), and some other stuff. So, here's the final (for now) updated list:
Dinosaur collectibles
Dinosaur toys (general) - Kaiyodo Sofubi Tyrannosaurus
Dinosaur toy lines - BOTM Velociraptor
Dinosaur kits - Lego Ideas Pteranodon Skeleton
Dinosaur groups - Safari Ltd. Triceratops
Collections - CollectA Caiuajara
Classifieds - Eofauna Deinotherium

Dinosaurs and palaeontology
Dinosaurs and palaeontology - Vitae Zhejiangosaurus
In the news - Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo
Books, film, and other media - Mattel Brachiosaurus
Museums, theme parks, and other places - Doris the Pliosaurus

Dinosaur art
Dinosaur art - Wild Past Protoceratops
Dioramas - Papo Spinosaurus (2019)
Customised figures - Recur Dunkleosteus

General category
General - Nanmu Carnotaurus
Other toys and collectibles - Rebor Stegosaurus
Games - Mojo Mandschurosaurus

Members
New members - Paleozoo Pikaia
Members' board - Takara Tomy Neanderthal

Administration
Reviewers board - Schleich Dinogorgon
Forum and blog business - PNSO Opthalmosaurus (Large)
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contests - Favorite Co. Fukuisaurus

I like your idea of the CollectA Caiuajara! Although I would personally put it in the dinosaur groups board.

Plus, the only good place for the LEGO Pteranodon in my opinion is the "other toys and collectibles board". I personally don't find LEGO to be strictly related to dinosaur collecting. Ok, it also produces dinosaurs, but (for me) they are other type of toys.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

suspsy

Quote from: Killekor on January 08, 2020, 12:39:02 PM
Plus, the only good place for the LEGO Pteranodon in my opinion is the "other toys and collectibles board". I personally don't find LEGO to be strictly related to dinosaur collecting. Ok, it also produces dinosaurs, but (for me) they are other type of toys.

Killekor

A dinosaur toy is a dinosaur toy. Plus CollectA, Safari, Schleich, Papo, and PNSO aren't strictly related to dinosaur collecting either. In any case, I'm happy for LEGO to be included among the icons. Great move.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Tyto_Theropod

I'll be honest and say I'm a bit disappointed that the Safari Velociraptor hasn't got a spot.  But then you have a pretty limited choice with BOTM and I suppose it wouldn't do to have the same species twice.  Also (whisper it!) I liked it better than their Tyrannosaurus, but I'm probably in the minority there.  Oh well.  Still a little sad...
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Sim

Quote from: Loon on January 08, 2020, 02:08:59 AM
I put stegosaurus, since I wanted to represent many different groups of extinct animals, and wanted to feature stegosaurs in some way. Komodos are still extant, and I think putting the xenomorph rex is no better than having a Godzilla figure in the list. I'd like the icons of the forum to stay in line with the site's extinct, real world animal theme.

I agree in wanting the icons to stay with the forum's theme of extinct, real world animals.  I wouldn't want to see a Pteranodon skeleton either though.  If you want to include Lego, why not pick a living Pteranodon?

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on January 08, 2020, 01:57:59 PM
I'll be honest and say I'm a bit disappointed that the Safari Velociraptor hasn't got a spot.  But then you have a pretty limited choice with BOTM and I suppose it wouldn't do to have the same species twice.  Also (whisper it!) I liked it better than their Tyrannosaurus, but I'm probably in the minority there.  Oh well.  Still a little sad...

I agree with all of this.  As I said previously, I'd also like the Safari Elasmosaurus to remain one of the icons.  Maybe have it instead of the Triceratops for Safari, and for Mojo instead of the Mandschurosaurus have the Triceratops?

Sim

I just had another thought, and that is I wouldn't want to see the PNSO Ophthalmosaurus as one of the icons.  It's disgustingly wrinkly.  May I suggest using another PNSO figure instead, e.g. the Eurhinosaurus or Ceratosaurus?

avatar_Loon @Loon, look at my previous post too if you haven't already.

Loon

avatar_Tyto_Theropod @Tyto_Theropod I actually like the Safari Velociraptor more than the Tyrannosaurus too, but Beast of the Mesozoic needs some representation, and unless I used figures no one have yet, dromaeosaurs are the only option.

@If we're updating all of the icons, why keep the elasmosaurus? It's been there for quite some time.

I'd be fine with changing the Opthalmosaurus to another Icthyosaur figure. I'd still like to have that group and PNSO represented. Maybe the smaller mini Icthyosaurs from PNSO could work instead? I'd nominate the Himalayadaurus myself.

Also, I chose the skeleton pteranodon, since it's more of a "build", in theme with the "kits" section. But, I think the consensus is that spot should be filled by a resin kit. And, since there's already a pterosaur on the list, CollectA Caiuasaurus, that should be fine.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Loon on January 08, 2020, 02:08:59 AM
Quote from: Takama on January 08, 2020, 02:02:55 AM
I like the idea of the Other toys and Collectibles section being iconed by a rebor product.

But how about we drive the point a little further by makeing the icon there X-rex instead of Stegosaurus?     

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 08, 2020, 02:07:33 AM
Why not REBOR's Komodo Dragon?

For the record, I'd also be fine with Godzilla. It is the "other toys and collectibles" section, so I agree that something that isn't technically a real dinosaur but is inherently connected to dinosaurs, either by brand or by design, is what would be best suiting.

Loon

If we're going to have something like that in the other toys section, maybe a dinobot could work? Snarl would work well, as it's another brand of you, as well as representing stegosaurus.

Syndicate Bias

avatar_Mirroraptor @Mirroraptor Ah okay I felt like I had it wrong. I would also like to see that or the Cen Dao Yi Utahraptor on the kits icon.

Sim

I don't think that section needs to have something different to the rest (which are all prehistoric animals).  A number of sections won't have something that directly connects to them e.g. Customised figures, General, Forum and blog business.  I don't think a dinobot would really represent Stegosaurus, it would be representing whatever a dinobot is.  Unless the dinobot is actually a Stegosaurus?  The Animal Toy Forum has a toy animal for its "Other toys and collectibles" section too.

I wanted the Elasmosaurus to remain as I like it and feel plesiosauroids are being forgotten about while the other types of marine reptiles get made into figures.  I can see though that you'd like to change all the icons.

I don't think it's a good idea to have both Mandschurosaurus and Fukuisaurus, I think they are too similar to each other.  Instead of the Fukuisaurus I would prefer to see Favorite's Parasaurolophus remain or something else by Favorite e.g. the Pteranodon.  Alternatively, instead of Mandschurosaurus the spot could go to one of Mojo's new sauropods e.g. Brontosaurus or Mamenchisaurus.  There's only one sauropod in your list so far.

Loon

Nothing to see here.

Tyto_Theropod

Yo could have the Dromaeosaurus for BOTM, as that's also a really nice, accurate figure, and then have the Velociraptor for Safari.  This would probably be over-representing Dromaeosauridae, though...

For the record, I'm definitely on the camp for keeping all icons as models of real-life extinct animals.  Unless it's a really good model, anything else would just look out of place IMHO.  Feel free to disagree with me on that, though.  If someone can point out a different kind of figure that looks 'right' alongside them, I'm happy to be proven wrong. :)
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Stegotyranno420

I have a idea but it seems like nobody is going to even notice it :(   

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on January 08, 2020, 10:22:35 PM
I have a idea but it seems like nobody is going to even notice it :(
Well, you have a higher chance of us noticing it if you actually post it. What is it?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.