News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leyster

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 16, 2021, 02:53:28 PM
Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on June 16, 2021, 01:57:51 PM
Can anyone explain me that theropod feet had no bird like scales which I have heard elsewhere. But in a paper I saw thatconcavenetor had that. Can anybody explain me this issue, the models still bear bird like scales in the feet.

I think the issue is that the scales on the feet of Concavenator are small and nearly square in multiple rows. For some reason people think bird-like scaled means big rectangles that span the foot like in ostriches but many birds are different. Concavenator scales were more like chicken feet, but also a lot like alligator feet. Theropods tend to always get depicted with ostrich-like scales. There was probably a fair amount of diversity just like in modern birds.

Given the impressions of Concavenator scutes (D in the picture below)

I've always represented them somewhat irregular, closer to emu scutes

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SRF

In the mean time PNSO has posted the same art of their Torvosaurus, again.

Wouldn't surprise me if that will (finally) be their next release.
But today, I'm just being father

Andre

In hand pictures of the Tarbosaurus! I love it!!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQNpb6fqe-j/

SidB

Quote from: ITdactyl on June 17, 2021, 06:26:02 AM
Those are very nice comparison shots.

Maybe he just seems bulkier/barrel-chested/pot-bellied because the head is smaller in proportion to the torso (compared to the Tyrannosaurus)?
I'm really pleased that PNSO "got" the head proportions of the Tarbo correct, relative to the Winter Wilson, even it it makes the skull SEEM disproportionate compared with the massive body size. I'm so used to images of the Tyrannosaurus that any apparent deviation from this stereotype appears a bit weird. But, so be it - "it is what it is".

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Abobo

MLMjp

This is one of those cases in which something is almost perfection but there is a detail that absolutely ruins it.

Those tiny horns...I only recognized it was a Torvosaurus because of the skeleton. They look so out of place for a Torvosaurus. Makes it look more like some short of allosauroid/neovenatorid...

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on June 17, 2021, 02:11:03 PM
And then there was Connor.

https://www.facebook.com/154141751286381/posts/4294958117204703/?d=n

He looks pretty badass.
Towards the end of the winter season, and after an exciting run of herbivorous genera, I recollect several of our members lamenting the relative lack of theropod releases. Well, that situation sure has been and is being rectified!

Abobo

DP

Faelrin

avatar_SRF @SRF Well looks like you were right lol, and so soon after. Now I only hope we get a figure of that Gargoyleosaurus someday.

Also wow does this Torvosaurus look awesome. Glad it has got a much more interesting color scheme this time around.

And with this reveal, we are still missing 47, and 49, if not any others. So that's at least 2 more figures minimum that have yet to be revealed.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Yeah, those horns really were a bad idea.

PrimevalRaptor

The in-hand pics for the Tarbosaurus look amazing, I still love the bulk it has. And the Torvosaurus is just incredible even with a lack of lips, the head looked off to me for a second but that was just because of the crests I think. Lovely sculpt and I adore the color scheme, some nice contrasts and the orange on the face really makes it pop.

suspsy

The Dimetrodon and the Triceratops could be 47 and 49.

SidB

Quote from: MLMjp on June 17, 2021, 02:20:36 PM
This is one of those cases in which something is almost perfection but there is a detail that absolutely ruins it.

Those tiny horns...I only recognized it was a Torvosaurus because of the skeleton. They look so out of place for a Torvosaurus. Makes it look more like some short of allosauroid/neovenatorid...
"Absolutely" is such a strong word ... do we know how large the putative lacrimal horns on the two described species (or even the third undescribed one) were? Is it that the horns here are too small or even shouldn't be present?

Carnoking

I have nothing but love for that chunk of a Tarbosaurus. The Torvosaurus looks pretty cool, but it's just not special to me anymore PNSO

Flaffy

That's certainly an interesting reconstruction of Torvosaurus, especially the lacrimal crests. Looks like PNSO took inspiration from tall-crested specimens like "Elvis", and dialed it up to 100 by incorporating Afrovenator's crests.

Weird how PNSO is willing to go so speculative with the keratin on this particular figure... but on the other hand, being ultra-conservative with the postorbital bosses, lacrimal crests and keratin extensions on their Tyrannosaurs. I personally would've preferred a more conventional reconstruction based on the "Edmarka rex" specimen.

MLMjp

Quote from: SidB on June 17, 2021, 02:43:20 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on June 17, 2021, 02:20:36 PM

"Absolutely" is such a strong word ... do we know how large the putative lacrimal horns on the two described species (or even the third undescribed one) were? Is it that the horns here are too small or even shouldn't be present?
Ok, to be fair, I have seen reconstructions of Torvosaurus with horns or crest but they were much rounder and subtle. The problem I see, is that they are too pointy and allosaurus like in this figure. It is more of a personal preference since I am not a fossil expert. They may or may not be plausible, but Im not the person to ask that.

It just that I always have seen Torvosaurus reconstructed with rounder lacrimals so it looks wrong to me, something like these would have been better IMO.

Stegotyranno420

I can't tell if I like it or not

But I can tell this guy is pretty bad ass

But my god, look at the shrink wrap!

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on June 17, 2021, 01:53:30 PM
Quote from: ITdactyl on June 17, 2021, 06:26:02 AM
Those are very nice comparison shots.

Maybe he just seems bulkier/barrel-chested/pot-bellied because the head is smaller in proportion to the torso (compared to the Tyrannosaurus)?
I'm really pleased that PNSO "got" the head proportions of the Tarbo correct, relative to the Winter Wilson, even it it makes the skull SEEM disproportionate compared with the massive body size. I'm so used to images of the Tyrannosaurus that any apparent deviation from this stereotype appears a bit weird. But, so be it - "it is what it is".

The issue is, the specimen PIN 551-2 suggests that Tarbosaurus had a large head for it's body. Even more so than Tyrannosaurus.

Flaffy

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on June 17, 2021, 03:02:34 PM
I can't tell if I like it or not

But I can tell this guy is pretty bad ass

But my god, look at the shrink wrap!

Not seeing any shrinkwrapping on the figure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: