News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Proboscideans in the same scale

Started by The Zoo Boy, April 15, 2021, 03:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: edu on January 31, 2023, 02:41:31 PM

Eofauna's Palaeoloxodon Antiquus vs Collecta's 2022 Loxodonta Africana.
I've got the CollectA on order from Korea. We'll see how it matches up with the Eofauna and the Mojo, for comparison.

edu

Quote from: SidB on January 31, 2023, 05:07:33 PM

I've got the CollectA on order from Korea. We'll see how it matches up with the Eofauna and the Mojo, for comparison.

Thanks, but it wasn't a request! I have both and i was trying to post images but i don't know how. My fault. What service do you use for uploading images?

SidB

Quote from: edu on January 31, 2023, 05:36:38 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 31, 2023, 05:07:33 PM

Thanks, but it wasn't a request! I have both and i was trying to post images but i don't know how. My fault. What service do you use for uploading images?
Flickr

edu

Elefantes by Eduardo Vázquez, en Flickr

This cousins look great together. Eofauna's Palaeoloxodon antiquus and Collecta's 2022 Loxodonta africana.

SidB

Magnificent, E @edu . I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my ordered CollectA African Bush elephant, as your post has certainly whetted my appetite.

Flaffy

The CollectA bull looks more realistic than the Mojo one IMO. I think he'll be joining my proboscidean collection in the future.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on February 01, 2023, 01:24:50 PMThe CollectA bull looks more realistic than the Mojo one IMO. I think he'll be joining my proboscidean collection in the future.
My African Bush Elephants have been arriving from far and wide - the Mojo from Australia and the CollectA from Korea. Along with the Asian, I'll keep both for comparison purposes with my extinct 1/35 scale proboscidians:

I'd have to say that I prefer the CollectA. I'm pleasantly pleased both with its superior detail and its correct proportions. This example seems to represent a more mature individual than the Mojo, with a wider beam across the hips. In regards to both, gone (fortunately) are the days when a 1/24 scale head was matched to a 1/32 body, as with the older Schleichs, I believe. Thanks, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , for recommending this figure to accompany my Cenozoic 1/35 scale pachyderms.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on January 21, 2023, 12:54:13 PMYeah since I don't generally dabble in extant animals, I was awaiting the STS's judgement of the CollectA 2022 bull before deciding.
I'm no expert, but the CollectA, which just arrived at my door this week, is an excellent figure with, to my eye, correct proportions and superior detail. I prefer it to the Mojo, which seems to be a less mature (less hefty) adult. Gone are the days of affixing a 1/24 scale head on a 1/32 body, mercifully.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on February 17, 2023, 07:25:39 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on January 21, 2023, 12:54:13 PMYeah since I don't generally dabble in extant animals, I was awaiting the STS's judgement of the CollectA 2022 bull before deciding.
I'm no expert, but the CollectA, which just arrived at my door this week, is an excellent figure with, to my eye, correct proportions and superior detail. I prefer it to the Mojo, which seems to be a less mature (less hefty) adult. Gone are the days of affixing a 1/24 scale head on a 1/32 body, mercifully.

Beautiful. Will be picking up the CollectA bull then! I'm so glad that there's finally a good African Elephant model that's widely available on the market. (now if they would also remake their Asian Elephant...)

edu

Mojo's asian elephant may have a head a bit too large, but IMO it is really beautiful.

SidB

To cap off this discussion, here are my new elephants in comparison with and in the context of the extinct 1/35 and 1/40  proboscideans. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

SidB

I wasn't really planning to acquire any more extant elephants for comparison purposes with my collection of extinct cenozoics, but I came across this 1996 Safari African Bush Elephant at Value Village and bought it. I'm glad that I did, because it illustrates quite well the propensity of that era to affix a 1/24 head to a 1/32 scale body. I'd imagine that this was to make them more marketable to the younger set, their core market.

Compare this with the new CollectA

The overhead view really accentuates the difference in scale between the heads on these two 1/32  figures, Hopefully this practice has ended.

postsaurischian

I recommend the Kaiyodo 1:35 Artpla figure. It comes unpainted though.

SidB

That IS  striking! Thanks for the recommendation, avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian

SidB

Funny how things can take on a life of their own, and my ongoing contributions to and in this thread are no exception. Picking up a couple of extant elephants for comparisons with extinct proboscidians has made me aware of other makes contributions to the former. Here are two more that I recently picked up:

2004 Schleich African Bush Elephant bull

2015 Schleich African Bush Elephant female

Now, if Eofauna would only release our hoped for extinct proboscidian, all would be happiness on my part. Honestly, I'd rather see that figure that the expected T-rex (we've had a good bunch of those recently, haven't we!).

SidB

Two new ones, the Papo African Bush Elephant female and calf:

SidB

Picked up this unusual female African Bush Elephant, a no name product from China, at Value Village yesterday. Right scale, rather wrinkly gal, but a solid figure. Anyone know what the brand might be?

I noticed something quite odd about the ears, from this head-on view. Can you spot it?

Ankyloranodon

I'm always going to be stuck slightly annoyed that the Eofauna steppe mammoth is at 1:40 when all the other proboscideans they've done are 1:35 (similar issue with some of their dinos not matching up but currently don't own those). Cool thread to see, curious which other companies' extinct entries hold up to the 1/35 scale in similar standards to Eofauna's figures!

SidB

Quote from: Ankyloranodon on September 25, 2023, 06:03:08 PMI'm always going to be stuck slightly annoyed that the Eofauna steppe mammoth is at 1:40 when all the other proboscideans they've done are 1:35 (similar issue with some of their dinos not matching up but currently don't own those). Cool thread to see, curious which other companies' extinct entries hold up to the 1/35 scale in similar standards to Eofauna's figures!
Me too, avatar_Ankyloranodon @Ankyloranodon , it's a bit of a thorn in the flesh for me too. BTW, please check out my collections thread from earlier in 2023, I believe, and you'll see my collection of 1/30 to 1/35 scale proboscidians, also the 1/40 scale ones, as well as the 1/20 group, which occurs later in the thread, more recently.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: