You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

NECA Creature From the Black Lagoon

Started by dragon53, March 21, 2023, 10:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: dragon53 on March 23, 2023, 04:43:57 AMDOUG WATSON:

Thanks for the additional information.

Since I have the two Diamond versions, I was looking for a justification to buy the NECA version---and Bob Burns's collection showing Ricou Browning's darker shade of green might be that justification.

Speaking of books, many years ago on one of the movie forums, a forum member was selling a book about the making of THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON with signed copies by Julie Adams. I was tempted, but I didn't buy one---now I wish I had.

I got autographed photos from Julie and Ben that I have framed as well as one of me geeking out with Ben. I sent away for both of the autographed shots then got to meet Ben later at a Comicon and took the shot with him.
I found this shot of a surviving prop mask from The Revenge of the Creature 1955. It was in a Movie Monster exhibit at the SFO Museum in 2015. You can see how badly latex foam rubber deteriorates over time.

Looking at the model images I kinda like the head on the Diamond Select V2 better than the NECA and the hands are more accurate as well but I just think NECA did a much better job on the articulation so I still might get it.

Shane

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 22, 2023, 07:41:57 PMS @Shane that is a cool fact I did't know about you :D . The movie came out the year before I was born so I have grown up a Creature lover. I got to meet Ben Chapman (who played the Creature on land in the first film) a year before he passed away and he signed my copy of the Filmbook/script. Nice guy too. I have of course the DVD, the original 1963 Aurora model (that I reacquired on eBay stripped and ready to be built), Aurora Monsters of the Movies CFTBL MIB, Marx Creature figure, the Horizon vinyl model kit, the Diamond Select V1, and the Diamond Select bank. If you don't have the Horizon Model kit and you want a definitive version I'd recommend getting one off of eBay while you can. You will pay a premium but the sculpt is fantastic. You will have to build it unless you find a built up one. The Diamond Select Bank is also a really nice sculpt and the biggest in terms of scale.

You can count me in on this one too. The colour is little off, Ben told me the skin was moss green but the sculpt is nice. I love how it poses so realistically the Diamond Select ones just don't match it. I don't remember the hands bending like that but they look dramatic.

I don't have any special connection to the film like you Doug, other than just really loving the creature design and thinking it's a fun movie. But Millicent Patricks' creature design is just so iconic.

I've got a pretty big collection but none of it is really vintage stuff. I have a bunch of 12" figures (Mondo, Sideshow, Hasbro), a couple of Megos, the 2nd Diamond version (I got rid of the V1 but kept the Julie Adams), The Jada Toys version (regular and GITD), Mezco's Living Dead Doll, Diamond's "Uncle Gilbert" from the Munsters, Sideshow and Mezco 8" figures, Leonardo the Ninja Turtle as the Creature from the old Playmate's line (probably my most expensive piece), a bunch of art prints from Mondo and Bottleneck Gallery I have framed, as well as a recently released (and very good quality) full head mask of the Creature.

As well as a bunch of other memorabilia and figurines that I can't recall of the top of my head.

I also got the recently released Super7 version of the old Aurora model, done in a "visible" style with a clear outer pieces and organs and whatnot inside. That was fun to put together.

Shane

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 23, 2023, 04:57:36 AMLooking at the images I kinda like the head on the Diamond Select V2 better than the NECA and the hands are more accurate as well but I just think NECA did a much better job on the articulation so I still might get it.

The main selling points in NECA's favor for me are the sculpt, which will likely have more detail than the Diamond versions, even if it's not as technically accurate. NECA just really goes all in for sculpting details. Also as you mentioned the articulation will probably be a step up. Plus, I really like the addition of an extra head with an articulated jaw. Most Creature figures just go for one look, or have two different heads with open and closed mouths (which even the NECA figure does), but it's fun to have a figure whose jaws you can flap open and closed.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shane on March 23, 2023, 12:23:23 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on March 22, 2023, 07:41:57 PMS @Shane that is a cool fact I did't know about you :D . The movie came out the year before I was born so I have grown up a Creature lover. I got to meet Ben Chapman (who played the Creature on land in the first film) a year before he passed away and he signed my copy of the Filmbook/script. Nice guy too. I have of course the DVD, the original 1963 Aurora model (that I reacquired on eBay stripped and ready to be built), Aurora Monsters of the Movies CFTBL MIB, Marx Creature figure, the Horizon vinyl model kit, the Diamond Select V1, and the Diamond Select bank. If you don't have the Horizon Model kit and you want a definitive version I'd recommend getting one off of eBay while you can. You will pay a premium but the sculpt is fantastic. You will have to build it unless you find a built up one. The Diamond Select Bank is also a really nice sculpt and the biggest in terms of scale.

You can count me in on this one too. The colour is little off, Ben told me the skin was moss green but the sculpt is nice. I love how it poses so realistically the Diamond Select ones just don't match it. I don't remember the hands bending like that but they look dramatic.

I don't have any special connection to the film like you Doug, other than just really loving the creature design and thinking it's a fun movie. But Millicent Patricks' creature design is just so iconic.

It's neat that new generations are falling in love with the Creature, I know Ben really appreciated it. The creature was always my favourite classic monster even as a child because of that amazing sculpted suit. I only found out about Millicent Patrick's story a few years ago when someone wrote about it. Infuriating how petty and vindictive Bud Westmore was, imagine what Millicent might have produced at Universal if it wasn't for him.

Shane

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 23, 2023, 01:03:33 PMIt's neat that new generations are falling in love with the Creature, I know Ben really appreciated it. The creature was always my favourite classic monster even as a child because of that amazing sculpted suit. I only found out about Millicent Patrick's story a few years ago when someone wrote about it. Infuriating how petty and vindictive Bud Westmore was, imagine what Millicent might have produced at Universal if it wasn't for him.

I'm pushing 40 so not sure if I'm a "new" generation, but with so many new collectibles still being released, it's clear this movie still resonates with people and I think a lot of that is the creature design which is really one of the all time greats. Millicent Patrick was truly robbed of what could have been an amazing career, but at least her story has finally made it out to the general public so she's getting her credit, even if it is tragically too late.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shane on March 23, 2023, 01:46:05 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on March 23, 2023, 01:03:33 PMIt's neat that new generations are falling in love with the Creature, I know Ben really appreciated it. The creature was always my favourite classic monster even as a child because of that amazing sculpted suit. I only found out about Millicent Patrick's story a few years ago when someone wrote about it. Infuriating how petty and vindictive Bud Westmore was, imagine what Millicent might have produced at Universal if it wasn't for him.

I'm pushing 40 so not sure if I'm a "new" generation,

Did you notice the part where I said it came out the year before I was born....pretty much everyone is "new" compared to me these days.  :D

Shane

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 23, 2023, 06:39:46 PMDid you notice the part where I said it came out the year before I was born....pretty much everyone is "new" compared to me these days.  :D

Ha, fair enough Doug.

With how much new creature stuff is being produced, I'm sure it does have a certain appeal with what even I would consider a "new" generation. It's a timeless design! That's why I love it so much.

dragon53

Not to veer off course from dinosaur figures, but for those who collect the NECA Universal monster figures, NECA is releasing a black and white Bride of Frankenstein.

LINK: https://necaonline.com/2023/03/universal-monsters-7-scale-action-figure-ultimate-bride-of-frankenstein-bw/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on March 29, 2023, 05:59:50 PMNot to veer off course from dinosaur figures, but for those who collect the NECA Universal monster figures, NECA is releasing a black and white Bride of Frankenstein.

LINK: https://necaonline.com/2023/03/universal-monsters-7-scale-action-figure-ultimate-bride-of-frankenstein-bw/

I've been getting both the color and black and white versions so I'll have to get her too.

dragon53

This is another review and includes a photo of the NECA, and Diamond Select versions together for a comparison.

LINK: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-090423a.htm

Blade-of-the-Moon

dragon53

The NECA prototype green paint scheme looked too bright, but the production green looks a lot better.

I'll probably get the NECA version now.

Shane

Ordered this yesterday for my creature collection. Can't wait to get it.

I got the Glow-in-the-Dark SDCC exclusive but kept it in package. Excited to get one I can open and play around with.

dragon53

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.