News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

X Plus - New for 2023

Started by Sturisoma, March 22, 2023, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sturisoma

1/35 Jurassic Park T-rex and Ian Malcolm model kit

"Shonen-ric exclusive" Donald Gennaro

It's a bummer Gennaro is "Shonen-ric exclusive" which I have no idea what it is. Pre-orders for this are already open in my country but they don't include that tasty lawyer. It's a shame I was excited when I saw the teaser with Gennaro:

Sturisoma

Even without Gennaro, I like it. For those with X Plus model kits, how is the quality? I only have the Pegasus Hobbies spinosaurus so I'm not familiar with model kits.

Also, teasers for the spinosaurus and Blue & Beta:

I have not yet seen the prototype of the spino. The pose looks like it's chasing a human. I'm guessing the human will be Dr. Grant immediately after the cellphone and "run" scene, or Cooper when he gets killed on the airplane runway.

Blade-of-the-Moon

For the XPlus exclusives you have to order off the shonen-ric site, which does have a US page thank goodness :  https://us.ric-toy.com/200129r-us.html

Over9K

X-Plus has really only just started doing the model kit thing again, after many years. Haven't gotten any of the new kits yet myself, but I have the Standard Rexy/Malcolm pre-ordered through Hobby Search (https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10970424 - $39.97+shipping).

I do know that film director Guillermo DelToro just built X-Plus' new kit of the Maria Automaton from Fritz Lang's iconic German silent film Metropolis, and he loved it so much he posted it on Insta.

Sturisoma

How are their other non-JP model kits? There are a lot of parts to connect. I'm wondering if the connections/seams will be noticeable. The Pegasus Hobbies spino has bigger and fewer parts which is nice. However since X Plus has teased a spino and I like the pose, I figured I'd get this Rexy as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm not sure, you may want to look for some Youtube reviews of their past kits.  I really wanted the Vampirella but I'd like to get it as built/vinyl statue more.  Not that I don't love kits I just haven't as much time as I'd like.

Sturisoma

Has X Plus ever released a model kit then later released a fully assembled and painted version? I really like it but I think I can't do all the assembling  :))

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Sturisoma on April 03, 2023, 01:40:19 PMHas X Plus ever released a model kit then later released a fully assembled and painted version? I really like it but I think I can't do all the assembling  :))

They've done it the other way around like with the Harryhausen pieces, statues first then model kits. It might depend on the license they have, there are a couple places with statues already offered officially.

Sturisoma

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 03, 2023, 03:47:03 PM
Quote from: Sturisoma on April 03, 2023, 01:40:19 PMHas X Plus ever released a model kit then later released a fully assembled and painted version? I really like it but I think I can't do all the assembling  :))

They've done it the other way around like with the Harryhausen pieces, statues first then model kits. It might depend on the license they have, there are a couple places with statues already offered officially.

Oh man what a bummer. Would have skipped on the kits if they would eventually sell assemble and painted versions.

Been looking around and found these from the shonen ric twitter. Sample photos without the marketing glamor and paint:

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's great for detail, head sculpt looks good, the neck is a bit long?  When viewed from Malcolm's perspective there it looks the best.

andrewsaurus rex

the neck length looks ok to me.  The body/torso is too small, sorta like the Mattel T-rexes.   That makes the head look too large and the neck too long.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've my fill of JP/JW pieces to choose from anymore anyway. XPlus currently has nothing I'm all in for in either the Dinos, Harryhausen, or Godzilla line.

Over9K

Wonderfest Summer was today, and X-Plus/Star Ace showed off a few new things...

The Spinosaurus 1/35th scale model kit...

The Blue/Beta JWD model kit,not sure on scale..

Ray Harryhausen's Rhedosaurus and Lighthouse model kit in 1/72nd

And they showed the Star Ace branded Ray Harryhausen Hydra!

dragon53

OVER9K:

Thanks for the photos.

Is the Hydra a kit or is it part of the current Star Ace line of big Harryhausen figures?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dragon53 on July 30, 2023, 02:24:59 PMOVER9K:

Thanks for the photos.

Is the Hydra a kit or is it part of the current Star Ace line of big Harryhausen figures?

It looks like a finished piece, so either a vinyl or a resin statue?

The Rhedosaurus I might have been tempted if it were a statue but I already have the big color one.  I'm also so full up on JP/JW I can't see buying the kits. Even if the Spino looks about the best I've seen so far.  I have three JP Spinos just here where I'm looking lol

dragon53

I didn't see it before, but to the left of the Hydra is the Star Ace Harryhausen "Talos Awakes" which is polyresin. I hope the Hydra is soft plastic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've read a lot of folks hoping it's resin, that way the heads won't sag over time.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 31, 2023, 03:20:24 AMI've read a lot of folks hoping it's resin, that way the heads won't sag over time.

The wing sag on their recent vinyl King Ghidorah '19 is EPIC. They're coming down three or more inches in this heat wave, it's pretty sad.

dragon53

If the Hydra is vinyl is might sag, but if it's resin it will break. The Talos Awakes is $340, so the Hydra will cost that or more.  I won't buy something for $340 with a good chance it will break. I'll stick with my tiny X-Plus Hydra.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on July 31, 2023, 03:59:06 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 31, 2023, 03:20:24 AMI've read a lot of folks hoping it's resin, that way the heads won't sag over time.

The wing sag on their recent vinyl King Ghidorah '19 is EPIC. They're coming down three or more inches in this heat wave, it's pretty sad.

Mine  I don't think has moved at all, but I'm located in the basement and it stays a might bit cooler down here than upstairs.  I've heard the giant Omega Beast one will have metal inside the wings to prevent drooping. 

Quote from: dragon53 on July 31, 2023, 04:21:46 AMIf the Hydra is vinyl is might sag, but if it's resin it will break. The Talos Awakes is $340, so the Hydra will cost that or more.  I won't buy something for $340 with a good chance it will break. I'll stick with my tiny X-Plus Hydra.

I have both in my collection, so far no issues with either.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: