News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Castermind Creations Classic Park Nublar Line

Started by Prehistory Resurrection, August 30, 2023, 04:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prehistory Resurrection

So, I've discovered a new brand by an independent artist called "Castermind Creations". The independent artist has a line of Jurassic Park inspired figures called "Classic Park Nublar".  Don't know if there is thread created for this line here but here it is. Andy's Dinosaur Reviews just reviewed the Raptor with Capture Gear;

It looks incredible. I cannot wait to see the other offerings soon. If you want to snap it up, Clever Girl with capture gear is available to order on eBay (link is in the description of Andy's Youtube video). The artist has also an Instagram page (link again in description) and as well as an Etsy page. Apart from the Raptor, you can get a glimpse of other figures coming soon in this image:

Blade-of-the-Moon

Why did the Dilo have to be a two pack? was there a reason?

Prehistory Resurrection

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 24, 2023, 06:04:22 PMWhy did the Dilo have to be a two pack? was there a reason?
There's no specific reason. But there's a fan theory that there were two Dilophosauruses in Nedry's last moments in the first movie. There was one outside of Nedry's Jeep that spat venom on his face and the other one inside of Nedry's Jeep, ready to devour him. So, I guess that's why?

andrewsaurus rex

those look great.  A correctly scaled Dilopho and  great looking Raptor.  These are plastic?  How did Castermind get the rights to make these figures?......Mattel must be freaking out, unless Castermind is affiliated with Mattel in some way.  Sort of like a high quality offshoot branch.  EDIT:  i read the item description on the ebay link.  3D printed and hand painted....fan made..no copyright infringement intended.   I have no idea about the legality of this but i wish Caster the best.  Given the prices Mattel may not freak out quite as much.

These are JP figures I can get into..

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on September 28, 2023, 06:20:23 PMI have no idea about the legality of this but i wish Caster the best.  Given the prices Mattel may not freak out quite as much.

I believe you cannot copyright real animals, so as long as they don't use the logos or branding there shouldn't be any legal issues, same with the name nublar. If it was isla nublar that may be an issue, but nublar on its own is just the Spanish word for cloudy (iirc, or at least something along those lines.)

Stegotyranno420

andrewsaurus rex

you'd think the animal designs would be copyrighted since there are no animals, living or dead that quite looked like that.  They are distinctive to the Jurassic Park franchise.  It looks like the release of Grant and Eli figures are in the works....If they look like the actors that could be problematic, could it not?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would think he would offer a single Dilo for less a an option for those only wanting one.

The JP designs are so knocked off by anyone and everyone anymore. I'm pretty sure they are copyrighted but Universal unlike Disney doesn't seem as worried about it?

Roselaar

Copyright issues notwithstanding, these figures look quite amazing!  :)

Shane

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on September 28, 2023, 07:08:55 PMI believe you cannot copyright real animals, so as long as they don't use the logos or branding there shouldn't be any legal issues, same with the name nublar. If it was isla nublar that may be an issue, but nublar on its own is just the Spanish word for cloudy (iirc, or at least something along those lines.)

It is very difficult to enforce a copyright on "real" animals, even extinct ones, even when your design is "unique" like many of the JP designs have come to be.

It's speculated to be a large part of why hybrids like Indoraptor and Indominus Rex were created. In a series meta nod, much like those dinos are proprietary to Jurassic Park scientists, the designs in the real world are proprietary to Universal.

I suspect that Universal doesn't pursue JP "knockoff" designs for a few reasons.

1) They'd have a tough time proving that the designs of existing animals belong solely to them, even with the features we all know and recognize, the courts likely don't see it that way.

2) The JP "knockoffs" are more accurately deemed "unlicensed" or "third party" items, in that they aren't bootlegging or copying existing product, but creating merchandise that occupies a different niche than the currently offered JP toys. The official JP Mattel figures are staples on store shelves at the biggest retailers in multiple countries; how much is a super-limited third party item that costs 5x the price of their basic toys really going to eat into their profit margins?

I don't think anyone is thinking "I could buy this Mattel raptor for $10, but no I would rather buy this unlicensed raptor for $55." The products don't appeal to the same audience.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.