News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Plesiosaur Directory

Started by DinoToyForum, September 25, 2018, 12:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

Six more years of new plesiosaur toys (2018–2023):
https://plesiosauria.com/six-more-years-of-new-plesiosaur-toys-2018-2023/

Did I miss any notable releases from the major companies? I'm ignoring non-brand figures.

DinoToyForum

I've added a Marmornectes page: https://plesiosauria.com/directory/genera/marmornectes/ and updated the 'Fiction' section https://plesiosauria.com/pop-culture/fiction/. If you know of any appearances of plesiosaurs in movies or TV I've missed, please let me know. But not documentaries, of films about the Loch Ness Monster as I've highlighted a few of those but don't want to open that can of worms. I believe there's a plesiosaur in at least one of the old King Kong films so if anyone can help with those I'd appreciate it.

I've also overhauled the citations system on the site, so in-text citations should now automatically link to the full reference (so long as I've added the reference to the list, there are still a few to add).

Crackington

A couple of children's films spring to mind I enjoyed watching with the girls when they were younger.

The Water Horse based on Dick King-Smith's (Babe) children's' novel was well done and had a good take on Scottish folklore, but perhaps too close to Nessie for a mention in the directory. Although it is clearly plesiosaur-esque the effect is spoiled a bit by the beast's antennae like protrusions on its head. Fun sequences with the boy hiding him in the bath though when he was a hatchling.

I also vaguely recall a pliosaur featuring in the Little Polar Bear cartoon, when he visits a tropical island. Aimed at very young children, the pliosaur is benign and makes friends with the bear cub! It was quite nicely animated as I recall.

Both films were early 2000s if you want to check them out.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Crackington on April 04, 2024, 11:37:33 AMA couple of children's films spring to mind I enjoyed watching with the girls when they were younger.

The Water Horse based on Dick King-Smith's (Babe) children's' novel was well done and had a good take on Scottish folklore, but perhaps too close to Nessie for a mention in the directory. Although it is clearly plesiosaur-esque the effect is spoiled a bit by the beast's antennae like protrusions on its head. Fun sequences with the boy hiding him in the bath though when he was a hatchling.

I also vaguely recall a pliosaur featuring in the Little Polar Bear cartoon, when he visits a tropical island. Aimed at very young children, the pliosaur is benign and makes friends with the bear cub! It was quite nicely animated as I recall.

Both films were early 2000s if you want to check them out.

Thanks avatar_Crackington @Crackington! I remember seeing The Water Horse. As you suspected, I omitted it from the list on the directory because of the antennae. I suppose I could give it an honourable mention.

I'm not familiar with the Little Polar Bear, I'll check that out!

BlueKrono

avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum I think avatar_Crackington @Crackington is referring to 2005's Little Polar Bear 2. I'm going to see if I can find a way to watch it in full, but there's a good 4 minute teaser on YouTube (search Little Polar Bear 2 final fight). I agree with his assessment of the beautiful animation.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on April 04, 2024, 03:42:08 PMavatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum I think avatar_Crackington @Crackington is referring to 2005's Little Polar Bear 2. I'm going to see if I can find a way to watch it in full, but there's a good 4 minute teaser on YouTube (search Little Polar Bear 2 final fight). I agree with his assessment of the beautiful animation.

Thanks, I found the trailer following your advice, which includes a clip where the polar bear seemingly first encounters the pliosaur.

I have also done some research into King Kong and the sequel and added some info and pictures about the plesiosaurs in them. Luckily, King Kong is on BBC iPlayer so I could take a few stills:
https://plesiosauria.com/pop-culture/fiction/

DinoToyForum

I've added an epic plesiosaur appearance in 'When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth' (1970), and another one in an episode of 'Doctor Who' (1973).

Crackington

Wow, I always thought Kong fought a giant snake in that scene, didn't realise it was meant to be a plesiosaur!

I think the producers of the 1976 remake probably thought the same as Kong does fight a giant snake in that one if memory serves.

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

A new logo for the site

Designed by avatar_WitcherClo @WitcherClo

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.