You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Top 10 stegosaurs toys [Poll open]

Started by DinoToyForum, December 27, 2019, 10:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your top 10 stegosaur toys of all time

Battat Dacentrurus
Bullyland Stegosaurus (2007)
Carnage Stegosaurus by ReSaurus
Carnegie Miragaia
CollectA Dacentrurus (Deluxe)
CollectA Gigantspinosaurus
CollectA Stegosaurus corpse
Favorite soft model series 1 Stegosaurus
Invicta Stegosaurus
Kaiyodo Huayangosaurus
Kaiyodo, Dinotale, Capsule Q series 6 Stegosaurus
Kaiyodo, Dinotale, Jurassic Park III Stegosaurus
Kenner, The Lost World, Stegosaurus
Mattel, Jurassic World, Stegosaurus
Papo Stegosaurus
PNSO, Age of Dinosaurs, No.07 Chungkingosaurus
PNSO, Dinosaurs Museum, Chungkingosaurus (with Yangchuanosaurus diorama)
PNSO, Huayangosaurus mini (China Post Figures)
PNSO, Kentrosaurus
PNSO, mini No.009 Miragaia
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, No.14 Stegosaurus (Bieber)
PNSO, Age of the Dinosaurs (mini), Tuojiangosaurus (Rahba)
PNSO Wuerhosaurus
Rebor Stegosaurus (Garden)
Schleich Kentrosaurus (2015)
Schleich Kentrosaurus (2017)
Schleich, Conquering the Earth, Stegosaurus (2016)
Schleich, mini figure, Stegosaurus (2015)
Sega "Microsaurs" Kentrosaurus
Tyco Kentrosaurus
Tyco Stegosaurus
Vitae Wuerhosaurus
Wild Safari Kentrosaurus
Wild Safari Stegosaurus (2008)
Wild Safari Stegosaurus (2019)
CollectA, Age of Dinosaurs, Kentrosaurus
Haolonggood Dacentrurus
Haolonggood Wuerhosaurus
Mattel, 2022, Legacy Collection, Dr. Sarah Harding & Stegosaurus Pack (adult and baby Stegosaurus)
Mattel, 2021, Dino Escape, Kentrosaurus (Roar Attack)
Mattel, 2023, Dino Trackers Gigantspinosaurus (Strike Attack)
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, Miragaia (Rosana)
PNSO, Dinosaurs Museum, Stegosaurus (Biber & Rook)
PNSO, Prehistoric Animal Models, Tuojiangosaurus (Qichuan)

Turkeysaurus

Bieber & Rook are about to be overthrown soon.  >:D

Dinoguy2

I also am not a huge fan of the newest Wild Safari Stegosaurus. The sculpt is ok but not great, and while it's nice to have a figure based on Sophie, did it have to be so large? Safari has a weird habit of sculpting huge figures of small dinosaurs and tiny figures of huge dinosaurs. It creates a false impression among people that this is an "accurate stegosaurus" when it's a good, very accurate representation of a pretty small specimen. I remember when Bieber first came out everyone was saying it was inaccurate because it wasn't proportioned like the Safari one.

Also, the two figures I most wanted to vote for are not on this list - Carnegie Stegosaurus and Kenner Stegosaurus from JP1. I know they aren't winning any accuracy contests, but the cream and white Carnegie is my favorite Stegosaurus color scheme ever and the Kenner one might be the only figural representation of the short-lived Czerkas style aesthetic.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Turkeysaurus

Sim

D @Dinoguy2, how is the sculpt of the newest Wild Safari Stegosaurus not great?  I think it is great!  It's highly detailed very subtly, it's interesting and it looks alive.  Regarding the size of the figure, when people were asking for a new Safari Stegosaurus and saying it should look like Scott Hartman's most recent skeletal which was of Sophie, I pointed out the S. stenops holotype is an older specimen of the species and would be a better choice for a figure as Sophie might represent a not fully grown specimen. But that wasn't taken on board and neither was my criticism when the prototype had its colouration changed to the not great colouration the figure has.  And here we are, it's not doing as well in this poll as it should in my opinion.  I think it's still a great figure, but having a more interesting colouration would have been better imo.  It's interesting that some companies just can't seem to fully succeed with certain types of animals.  CollectA with dromaeosaurids, Safari with stegosaurians (and spinosaurids)...

I'm not upset that things have gone the way they did with Safari's 2019 Stegosaurus as PNSO's museum series Stegosaurus is exactly what I want in a Stegosaurus figure and now I have a figure based on the S. stenops holotype as well as Sophie.  I don't mind that the Safari Stegosaurus is based on Sophie but 'has' the maximum size of S. stenops.  Maybe there were individuals like this?  I would expect that more than whatever Tatankaceratops and Nedoceratops were.  Oh, and I'm reminded that on the Stegosaurus Wikipedia page, there's an image with the caption, "Life restoration of Sophie, depicting the modern view of S. stenops".  I think that's misleading as Sophie might not be fully grown.  I don't understand why people believe Sophie is the be all and end all for Stegosaurus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on June 24, 2024, 04:07:46 PMI don't understand why people believe Sophie is the be all and end all for Stegosaurus.

I think there was a lot of media hype around the time the mount came out that basically implied this. I wrote a critical blog article around that time regarding a paper that had been published with proposals of how to update the Yale S. ungulatus mount, and one of the recommendations was shortening the femora (which are original!!) to bring it more in line with more complete stegosaurs specimens like Hesperosaurus and Sophie (which are both different species + one is much smaller). It looks like they wound up compromising by putting the new Yale mount in a crouching posture  :P

Primeval12

It's funny how a model of Miragaia is was voted the best and now the species is probably invalid.

Sim

Quote from: Primeval12 on June 27, 2024, 02:56:54 PMIt's funny how a model of Miragaia is was voted the best and now the species is probably invalid.
Miragaia was known from good remains, I don't think it was expected that the fragmentary Dacentrurus would end up being the same animal.  Additionally, the PNSO Miragaia is still a very accurate figure, it's just now of Dacentrurus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on June 27, 2024, 03:04:23 PM
Quote from: Primeval12 on June 27, 2024, 02:56:54 PMIt's funny how a model of Miragaia is was voted the best and now the species is probably invalid.
Miragaia was known from good remains, I don't think it was expected that the fragmentary Dacentrurus would end up being the same animal.  Additionally, the PNSO Miragaia is still a very accurate figure, it's just now of Dacentrurus.

It was definitely expected (the potential synonymy was brought up in other papers within a year of its description), but as you say, this has no bearing on the validity of the species, just the validity of the name.

Primeval12

Oh yes for sure! I just think it's funny. I've been meaning to get Rosanna!

Sim

And the second-most popular figure in this poll is the Haolonggood Dacentrurus which is now outdated.  I looked at my Haolonggood Dacentrurus today and I've decided to keep it for the time being, it's such a good figure still.

Turkeysaurus

Dan Folkes 2024 skeletal was 9m for Dacentrurus. I don't know if Dacentrurus=Miragaia would chance size dramatically but I checked PNSO model if it make a good full adult 1/35 model size

PNSO Miragaia is 22 cm, 1/35 makes it 7.7 meter. Already a good start. It also poses it's necks up high and has a little bit curved tail so straight neck & tail would make give it a few cm more.

1-4 cm differences;

23 cm : 8m
24 cm : 8.4m
25 cm : 8.75m
25.5-26 cm : 8.9-9.1m

I'd say it's a good full adult size.

postsaurischian

Without HAOLONGGOOD's Stegosaurus the poll is definitely missing a very strong figure.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.