News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Base or no Base?

Started by Lynx, January 09, 2022, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC

I would ask does it stand without the base? If it doesn't I want a base.  A bird legged theropod can be a challenge to stand. I prefer a base to thick legs or a three point stand.

If you game with your figures the convection is the figures are in contact when the touch. I actually add bases to some figures that I game with.
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Shonisaurus

I am sincerely in favor of dinosaurs or prehistoric animals such as the PNSO Ololotitan with stability problems having a fixed base, apart from all the above, because with a fixed base they would have less chance of breaking their legs after a fall from a shelf .

JohannesB

I prefer figures coming without bases attached. For some of my nicest figures I make a base sometimes, if needed. I like to make them look a bit like a little scene. All it takes is a little patience and some basic skills (basically just a little wooden base with an iron rod stuck into it).  In the picture is the base/stand for Winter Wilson.

On the other hand, I do like figures that come with (detachable) bases, sometimes, for example the W-Dragon 'Rexy'. Although it does stand very solid without the base (the figure is very high production values, with a combination of materials to make it stand very safely and securely), the base has a rod which inserts into one of the feet, to guarantee it stand solidly.

Some figures that come with bases attached suffer from warping (the figure leaning over on its base because the weight causes the legs to bend), which kind of negates the purpose a bit, I think.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.